Apple Does Have a Heart

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheGeekNextDoor, Mar 15, 2011.

1. TheGeekNextDoor macrumors member

I ordered my iPad 2 online bright and early on Friday, but later decided to chance a visit to Best Buy to pick one up. I sat in line for an hour and a half and walked away with a beautiful black iPad 2 64GB AT&T 3G.

I hooked it up to my computer and began syncing it up when I got home. Since I had one in hand, the proper thing to do was to cancel my order because I'm not one of those reseller types (I despise them). I cancelled my order only to find out the next morning that my new iPad had a defective touch screen (when cold evidently).

I called up apple and explained the situation. They said they would review my request and let me know in the next couple of days. Today, I looked at my order and it is no longer cancelled!!! :D

I didn't lose my place totally in the virtual online line. My order status claims that I will receive it sometime between March 18 and the 25th. Maybe I will get a shipping notice soon.

I know this doesn't help anyone in their quest to score an iPad 2, but it shows that there is definitely some humanity in the customer service side of Apple.

2. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

The hate that resellers get is so funny.

Being mad at someone for using a product how they want to use it is petty. If I wanted to use my iPad 2 as a seat cushion, who gives?

If I could get my hands on a 2nd iPad 2, you could bet your ass I'd be reselling for the ridiculous profit they're going for now. It's foolish not to.

3. TheGeekNextDoor, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

TheGeekNextDoor thread starter macrumors member

When you put it like that, it doesn't sound so bad. I just personally don't want to be like that.

4. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

I would agree that hate is a pretty strong word, but we like the product, right? I'm happy to see Apple do well because I like their products, otherwise I don't care about them as a company. If I see people in line to buy them, like I did this morning (to no avail) there's a solidarity because we can all discuss how much we like using the product and how we anticipate getting it. Resellers aren't part of that culture. For example, if I liked a restaurant, then I'd like for it to do well, for the owners and for myself. If I see other people buying their food, good for me and good for the restaurant. But if I see people buying it just to re-sell it outside at a mark-up, well, I don't identify with them and don't very much like them, either. ;)

5. TheGeekNextDoor thread starter macrumors member

FYI, I never said I hated resellers. I said I despise them.

From Dictionary.com:
    despise - to look down on with contempt; scorn

6. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Apple really does try hard to make their customers happy, IMO. Last year I pre-ordered a 32GB 3G iPad. When it was finally prepared for shipment I decided that I wanted the 64GB. I called them to see if they could just cancel it entirely and I would go to the store to pick one up. They did. However, the next day I got a call from a senior advisor who "reviewed my request" and asked if I would just like my order changed to 64GB. This was I believe April 28th. I said if he could that'd be great, and I got my 64GB on April 30th. It was probably my best Apple experience, as I did not ask them to change my order, just to cancel since online, the cancel order was greyed out because it was prepared.

7. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Which number did you call? Cancelled my order yesterday but I had no luck today finding one so I'd like to change it.

8. TheGeekNextDoor thread starter macrumors member

800-MY-APPLE

Ended up with someone from Customer Service who totally took care of me.

9. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Tried it twice on chat and no luck. Calling now.