Apple does it again!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SimD, Apr 2, 2009.

1. SimD macrumors regular

AppleCare does it again!

Wow am I in happy with the treatment I got from the Sainte-Catherine Apple Store in Montreal!

I went in to due to the well known trackpad + keyboard freeze issue. The Geniuses had no idea what was happening, so they replaced my logic board and left I/O board. I got a call two days later telling me that the laptop was fixed but that the latch wasn't working properly and that they would have to replace the lower case free of charge. Let me back track a bit. I take good care of my gear, but when shooting in the field, **** happens.. My lower case was a little scratched up and my screen was deeply scratched. So I got my call last night to come pick up the laptop.

Here's where the fun starts. I get to the store and am told that they needed to replace the top case too because the latch still wasn't working. So they bring out the laptop and I died a bit inside. My Macbook Pro, was remade! New top case, new lower case, new everything! I was so happy I almost wanted to hug the Genius...

So to sum up. I got a New Old Macbook Pro. Never got this type of service in my life and I am glad I went back to Mac in '98.

Cheers :apple:

2. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Fantastic! Although after replacing the logic board, top and bottom case they might as well have replaced the entire notebook but as long as you're happy that's all that counts. :)

4. SimD thread starter macrumors regular

Well I don't mind that it's not the top of the line. I don't play games or stuff. Just work.

Plus, I'm one of the few who doesn't like the new ones.. I love the industrial design of the "old" MBPs.

Man today is a good day.

5. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

I'm with you on that. I ordered a fully loaded refurbished industrial old design of the penryn MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 GHz for $1599.00. It even came with Leopard and iLife '09 which surprised me. Its in perfect condition. Not to keen on the new look of the UMBP.

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Great news! Glad you were treated so well. The greatest Applecare story ever has to be my father in law. Three years ago he took his iMac in for repair, the old one with the circular base. After a few days he gets a call from the store manager saying there had been an accident and his computer was not going to be able to be repaired. However, since he was such a good customer they wanted to give him a free upgrade to a brand new 17" iMac. When he went into the store one of the employee's admitted to him that the tech in the back had dropped his computer while moving it. :eek: He talked with the manager a little more about the incident and walked out with a brand new 20" iMac. How sweet is that. :D

7. shoppy macrumors 6502a

That is fantastic news, great to hear about good appeal service.

8. pr5owner macrumors 65816

i dont understand what your happy about, the laptop had issues and they were fixed becuase you had warranty left. isnt that whats supposed to happen?

thats like being happy becuase your car started and it let you drive it to work.???

ive had laptop issues with stuck pixels, asus replaced the LCD under warranty (within 3 days) and i had a new monitor. great...

i fried the OCZ usb flash i had due to static, since theres a life time warranty they replaced it with a 2GB since the 1s were discontinued, they did what they advertised, its not something to be happy about really since you are PAYING for that warranty.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Congrats OP; I bought my MBP 2.5 for $1199, and it's been by far the best MacBook purchase IMO...:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

10. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Good for you!

My experience of AppleCare is the polar opposite, but then again it all depends on where you live in the world (not just the country but which part of the country you live in, and the distance to the nearest Apple Store or authorized Apple service center). The call center people were snarky and unhelpful and I had totally misunderstood what AppleCare actually is. On my PCs I have something called CompleteCare (=Dell) which costs slightly less than AppleCare. They stop by your house and replace any components that are even remotely related to the problem you report. I was naive enough to assume that AppleCare was as good or better (guess I should've read the contract huh) -- I did not expect being instructed to lug an 30-pound iMac 60 miles... but I'm sure it's great if you live in the vicinity of an Apple Store.

11. John89 macrumors regular

I had a similar outcome when I sent my MBP in for repair.

My battery was losing heaps of power overnight while switched off (about 30-40% disappeared). So I sent it for repair, and the guy had no idea what the problem was. I think he actually replaced every electrical part in the laptop and it still didn't fix the problem. I think it was cursed to be honest! Anyway, I got a brand new laptop sent to me :) I had only had the old one for a month or so, bought it second had off eBay for a rather good price :D

Delighted :cool:

12. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Yeah, battery problems can have a hint of voodoo sometimes. I had this Dell notebook with a 6-month old battery, gave me some 4 hours per charge, but one day it was as if the 'top' was intact but the 'middle' and 'bottom' were dead. What I mean by that is, I could see the battery indicator slowly counting down from 100%... 99%... 98%... all perfectly normal, but then when it hit 80% after 45 minutes or so, it suddenly went 80! 60! 40! 20! BOOM! within a couple of minutes. It lost power and shut down completely before it had even saved the status of the machine and entered sleep mode.

13. SimD thread starter macrumors regular

That must have been some yellow piss in your cereal this morning mate. I'm happy because I went in for a simple repair (keyboard ribbon was loose) and came out with a new computer.

On that note though, I wonder if they even fixed the ribbon.

14. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

Ya, I always get Applecare. They treated me well last time I had to replace my super drive. And they also replaced my case along with it. :)

15. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Congrats! I love hearing stories like this. :D

Don't be a dick.

16. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I took my 1st Gen 17" MBP in last week. So far they've replaced the screen, keyboard, fans, top case and bottom case. A few hours ago it 'failed' testing and the repair center has asked for a new logic board.

I'm not sure what else they can replace. This is practically a brand new computer assembled with 2006 parts :)

Honestly, I was hoping for a replacement. But with everything checked out and replaced it's not a bad option.

eV