Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
In a way with this price cut Apple took back all of that envy. While it certainly has been fun having people say "oh is that an iPhone" I have a feeling it is soon going to be replaced by "wow you paid $600 and now its only $400" or "oh is that an iPhone did you pay $600 for it, that's too bad I'm glad I didnt waste my money"

I'm very happy to have an iPhone and I don't regret purchasing it but I think all that envy that others had is going to turn into embarassement on our part.

Oh well

Just point out that you've gotten more than $4/day worth of enjoyment out of the phone, and have been happily using it for the last 70 days while they looked on with envy and their cheap/crappy phone with the confusing UI...

Don't think of it as $200 you lost, think of it as the $4/day of your blissful enjoyment of the phone while the rest of us poor saps looked on in envy.

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Like I said I don't regret my purchase but it will be a little annoying hearing others comments about the price cut.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Like I said I don't regret my purchase but it will be a little annoying hearing others comments about the price cut.

Which is why you can point out that the "huge price drop" amounts to less than $4/day (when you factor out the 14 days for Apple's price matching). It would even be better if you knew the person stopped for a beer or two at the bar every night on the way home, or was a heavy smoker since they're probably spending more than that $4 every day on something far less enjoyable...

If I had, had the money and the go-ahead to get an iPhone around launch time, I would not regret my purchase either. I've resigned myself to the fact that no matter what I buy it's always going to be improved/discounted within days of my purchase.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Whether you agree with what Apple did or not, they did receive a ton of negative publicity over this. Any talk about the new iPod models released yesterday has been totally overshadowed in the press by the hard feelings felt by many of the early iPhone buyers. Almost every newspaper article I've seen about the new iPods leads with comments about the pissed off early iPhone owners.

And the next time there is a hot new product coming from Apple, it'll come up again as people will say not to buy for the first 2 months because a huge price cut is coming, etc.

Apple definitely should have formulated a much better strategy to avoid the massive negative PR they've received over this, that much is clear. For Steve Jobs to simply say "that's how technology works" doesn't come remotely close to cutting it. It simply comes across as a pompous slap in the face to many of his best customers since we know that production costs haven't come down that much in only 68 days. That's not to even mention that they did give $200 refunds for early Aperture buyers, so it's not like there is no precedent for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.