Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
This isn't just another Music app thread. This isn't about how it looks in iOS 10. This is about the growing number of features that the latest app is missing. That Apple decided to not include. Genius Playlists is a big one. There are others. The writing is on the wall. Apple doesn't care about your music anymore. It only cares about Apple Music.

Reactions: heffsf and McGiord

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Tim Cook only CARES about money and that is what he is working on. Good product is off his radar. Apple Music can earn money. Jackless iphone can earn money. Portless MacBook Pro can earn money. That's it.

Steve Jobs era Apple was concentrating on building best product, acting as a late comer. Now, Apple just do whatever they can to earn cash. Nothing more.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
So it's your belief that Apple removing features from the Music app is purely because they weren't used enough?

Second post and already talking about Steve Jobs, that escalated quickly.

I don't think Genius was a "big" feature used by millions of people honestly. Plus it's still available on iTunes.

Reactions: heffsf

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

I don't think Genius was a "big" feature used by millions of people honestly. Plus it's still available on iTunes.
"Genius" itself may not be a huge feature but the under-the-hood music recognition feature stands out Genius to other apps.
I admit I don't use much of that feature though, although I also don't use any sort of "mix" provided by those Apple "curators".
[doublepost=1474005644][/doublepost]
That Apple decided to not include. Genius Playlists is a big one.
Also star ratings on iOS 10 app. Ironically, they don't even include a love button to quickly love a song in lock screen.

Through the latest iTunes update I also notice that by default you cannot add lyrics yourself anymore. You need to click "custom lyrics" to add your own. Also star ratings are hidden by default. Don't need to mention that Apple Music interface is on by default.

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
So it's your belief that Apple removing features from the Music app is purely because they weren't used enough?

It's not a new debate. Apple is always one of the first to remove hadware/software features when they think it's getting used less and less.

No one is forcing you to upgrade your software or your hardware. You don't like it, just don't use it, complaining about it in a forum won't bring back your favorites features. Complain to Apple instead.

Reactions: mthomas184

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
You must be new to forums :p

But on a more serious note, Apple has been adding features to their music apps for a long time. It's only of late that they are removing more and more features. It's of my opinion of course that it is because Apple Music is all that matters now.

It's not a new debate. Apple is always one of the first to remove hadware/software features when they think it's getting used less and less.

No one is forcing you to upgrade your software or your hardware. You don't like it, just don't use it, complaining about it in a forum won't bring back your favorites features. Complain to Apple instead.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008

The "Steve Jobs would never" stuff got really funny this time. Steve Jobs would've never removed the headphone jack, except for that time he removed the floppy disk drive and the optical drive. Also never let a Blu-ray Disc drive make it on a Mac. Also got the ball rolling on what I think is a 100 percent hard-disk-free Apple. No, wait -- the Mac mini still offers storage on a platter!

Go to Amazon and search for Bluetooth headphones. There is no shortage of them at $20 or $30. They're probably nothing special, but neither are the $10 earbuds that you can find everywhere. People now getting all triggered over some survey about whether they use headphone jacks on MacBook Pros. There's obviously a huge difference between squeezing that jack in on a phone versus a computer, but let's all get reactionary over it!

Reactions: decafjava

formerpc

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
There's a Genius toggle in Settings>Music. Not sure if this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_3066.PNG
    IMG_3066.PNG
    118.1 KB · Views: 86

formerpc

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
If using iCloud Music Library (iTunes Match) that option is not even available.
Really? Wow. Glad I dropped that long ago. I'm irritated that I don't have the option to not display music in the cloud. I only want the music on my phone. And a long-standing issue for me is asking Siri to shuffle my music- he shuffles ALL my music, including what's in the cloud, even though I had that toggled off. :mad:

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
This isn't just another Music app thread. This isn't about how it looks in iOS 10. This is about the growing number of features that the latest app is missing. That Apple decided to not include. Genius Playlists is a big one. There are others. The writing is on the wall. Apple doesn't care about your music anymore. It only cares about Apple Music.

Okay? If you don't like it go somewhere else. Why create another wasteland thread?

mthomas184

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2016
Cupertino
Sorry but using an example of an obvious failure is hardly convincing.

I'm curious, are you an Apple Music user?

Actually, no I'm not. But you're gonna say that Apple doesn't remove features because they weren't used enough but then disagree when I give you one that fits just that, it wasn't used so it was removed. I don't know what else to tell you.

Reactions: ohio.emt

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle

It was the key engine behind shuffling your music, and still is,is one of the best AI Apple had ever done. Removing it from iOS for loyal paying iTunes Match customers is a rip off. Or a very serious oversight.
[doublepost=1487639218][/doublepost]

Apple does force us to upgrade they kill perfectly working devices any chance they get either with a timer or stopping support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.