Apple doesn't really care about Copy+Paste

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrzeve, Jul 14, 2008.

1. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Via Gizmodo

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

How the hell does something stupid like a scientific calculator rank higher than copy and paste? :confused:

3. zeasar macrumors regular

zeasar

As someone else has said before, due to the nature of Objective-C (the programming language for iphone) adding copy & paste isnt as easy as adding an app to your phone.

But I'm happy since at least its on their to-do list. ;)

4. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

copy and paste is beyond overrated.

I never needed it once.

5. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I use it all the time. I still don't understand why they don't have such a basic feature.

6. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I fail to see where they say they don't care about it...the just said it's not a priority. Personally, it wouldn't be high on my list either.

7. mike21mike21 macrumors newbie

Copy/Paste is essential...

Its one of the things that made the original mac so cool.

Jeez, even the lowly RaZR has copy/paste...or those East German tank-like Treo's.

Copy/paste IS essential...as is MMS.

These 2 omissions are the worst fatal flaws in the iphone - and the grist for the endless ribbing from RaZR owners on us iphone owners.

I'd like to know why its so low on the list.

8. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

No, copy/paste is essential. MMS is not. You can email photos, only 13 year old girls use MMS. "OMG THAT EYELINER LOOKS SO GOOD ON YOU!!!"

9. ooo macrumors 6502

I believe its a software or security or battery issue.

If a user were to copy a large chunk of text with photos. The content would have to reside in RAM and it would drain a huge chunk of memory and drain the battery even quicker.

Maybe the they forgot about copy and paste and its difficult to implement seeing as they don't allow programs to run in the background. A clipboard application would have to run in the background and it would have to be enabled when a user launches an application. Does that mean clipboard application would launch when a user players Super Monkey Ball?

Just guesses as to why it's not out yet.

10. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Seriously, the ONLY time I would ever need copy paste is when I get a tracking number that isn't tagged to carriers site and linked to tracking page. In that case, the next time I'm home or on a computer, I make the link and email it to myself, and now boom I've got the link and all I need. I can't think of any other, "can't get by without it" situations. Copy/Paste is way overrated.

11. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Yup. Bummed on both being omitted on 2.0

12. volsfan macrumors regular

volsfan

13. tamakin macrumors member

I'm never gonna use the scientific calculator. I've had over 100 instances where "cut and paste" was needed.

14. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I do find Apple's priorities here very curious indeed.

Phazer

15. SqB macrumors 6502

In need copy/paste to save me the headaches of trying to type in my WPA key on my home WIFI by hand. I'm a bit paranoid so I use a random string generator to create my keys. It takes me quite some time to enter those darn strings by hand, especially if it *'s everything out as you type it in like my stupid PS3.

16. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Do you actually USE your iPhone?

17. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why are you guys calling it a "feature"?

Do you really think its a "feature"? Its the most simple concept to the computing world.

Don't need it? Hell, I needed it about 5 minutes ago when someone asked me to send them a telephone number. On my blackberry, I would go into my contacts, copy the number, and paste it into a text message. For crying out loud, I was doing that on my very first cell phone :rolleyes:

18. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Well I suppose then Notes sync and to-dos are reeeeaaaally far down the priority list then, right? :(

You would think with the few features they have added those wouldn't have been so hard to include.

19. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Do you have any idea how a computer works? Sorry but that's ridiculous.