Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is donating proceeds that it receives from the "John Lewis: Good Trouble" documentary to museums that honor his legacy, Apple announced today.

Funds from the documentary, which was released on July 3, will be provided to the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis, Tennessee, and the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington, D.C.
"Representative John Lewis's life and example compel each of us to continue the fight for racial equity and justice," said Lisa Jackson, Apple's vice president of Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives. "This film celebrates his undeniable legacy, and we felt it fitting to support two cultural institutions that continue his mission of educating people everywhere about the ongoing quest for equal rights."
US Congressman and civil rights leader John Lewis passed away on July 17. Apple over the weekend had a full page tribute on its website, and Apple CEO Tim Cook shared a commemorative tweet. Apple has also created a Spotlight collection of curated articles that remember Lewis and celebrate his legacy, plus there's a collection of episodes that honor his life available on Apple Podcasts.

Apple customers in the United States and Canada can rent "John Lewis: Good Trouble" through the Apple TV app on Phone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod touch, Mac, select Samsung and LG smart TVs, and Amazon Fire TV and Roku devices. "Good Trouble" takes audiences through Lewis's more than 60 years of civil rights activism.
In her intimate account of legendary US Representative John Lewis's life and legacy, director Dawn Porter takes audiences through his more than 60 years of extraordinary activism -- from the bold teenager on the front lines of the civil rights movement to the legislative powerhouse he was throughout his career. After Lewis petitioned Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to help integrate a segregated school in his hometown of Troy, Alabama, King sent "the boy from Troy" a roundtrip bus ticket to meet with him.

From that meeting onward, Lewis became one of King's closest allies. Lewis organized Freedom Rides, which left him bloodied or jailed, and stood at the front lines in the historic marches on Washington and Selma. Lewis continued to protect civil rights as a member of Congress. He never lost the spirit of "the boy from Troy" and had called on his fellow Americans to get into "good trouble" until his passing on July 17, 2020. "John Lewis: Good Trouble" is a moving tribute to the real-life hero at the forefront of many hard-won battles for lasting change.

Note: Due to the political or social nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Donates Proceeds From John Lewis Documentary to Museums Honoring His Legacy

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
It looks like a really good documentary, but $6.99 is a bit much to rent it. Too bad they can’t charge less, it would reach a wider audience that way.

Comment

citysnaps

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
Good to know. We were planning on watching it this weekend knowing it's available on Amazon Prime. That it's on Apple TV+ and that Apple is donating its proceeds to organizations that honor Lewis, makes that an easy decision to go with Apple TV+.

A deep tip-of-my-cap to John Lewis and his 60+ years of service and activism!

Comment

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
Aside from the donations, which I'm sure are welcome, this also served to raise the profile of the documentary. I hadn't realized it was out there, and I'm glad to hear it was released before his death, not rushed afterwards. I look forward to watching it.

Comment

XNorth

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2018
United States
I can never understand how Macrumors would call something "political or social" in nature. Everything is political or social. Controversial is a better word. But why would a doc film on John Lewis be controversial?

Comment

ScottishDuck

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Argyll, Scotland
I can never understand how Macrumors would call something "political or social" in nature. Everything is political or social. Controversial is a better word. But why would a doc film on John Lewis be controversial?

Because rather than tackle the virulent racism on this site they'd rather tag anything that upsets racists as "political" and have it condemned to the hell forum.

Comment

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
London, UK (Europe, Earth, Space)
Because rather than tackle the virulent racism on this site they'd rather tag anything that upsets racists as "political" and have it condemned to the hell forum.
I don't think that's fair actually. Any bad language is often a day/week moderator ban, never mind racism.

It's a shame this is seemingly only available in N.America, and not in Eur/ROW at all.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Comment

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Contradictory statement. You don't agree with his politics but you admire his work? His politics IS his work.

It's only a contradiction for political postmodernists.

One can admire a person's stance on certain aspects, whilst disagreeing with the overall arc of their politics.

Contrary to the belief of many US "liberals" (who appear to hold very anti-liberal values), many of the US conservatives that I have interacted with care deeply about the well-being of their communities, regardless of skin colour, precisely because they don't discriminate based on superficial pheno-typical characteristics.

Thus the promotion of equality (of opportunity) and colour-blind meritocracy are values lauded by those conservatives, whereas I can fully understand why - politically - one could vehemently disagree with his endorsement and support for H Clinton - in lieu of other Democratic or Third party candidates.

Comment

fhopper

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Ks.
It is amazing that some who do so much when they are young can still be honored for those "works" regardless of their actions later in life. I guess that is a good thing since advanced age does cause issues with judgment. Lewis became a hate monger these last 4 years, it is nice his early legacy will over shadow that. I wonder if his statues will ever be pulled down... assuming he will have one/some.

Comment

DeepIn2U

Suspended
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
John Lewis was a very passionate man that believed equal rights for all, and so do I - in all societies and in all levels of governments.

I agree with someone else earlier mentioning it’s a shame this documentary is not available across the globe and I hope Apple does make this available globally soon enough.

very happy for Apple making donations from the proceeds. I’ll be renting this for certain as I’m sure that even I can learn a lot from the history of John Lewis’ life more than I already know but also the situations and issues of that time that could make me sick to my stomach and weep, and I’m so grateful so ever grateful men & women and teenagers such as him took the bravery to fight for a future I’m able to live in.

if anything, his life story shows what our actions lead to if we act thoughtfully and responsibly and what could happen if we do not act in good faith.
Have a great day everyone.

Comment

superlawyer15

Suspended
Sep 15, 2014
It is amazing that some who do so much when they are young can still be honored for those "works" regardless of their actions later in life. I guess that is a good thing since advanced age does cause issues with judgment. Lewis became a hate monger these last 4 years, it is nice his early legacy will over shadow that. I wonder if his statues will ever be pulled down... assuming he will have one/some.

Yup and that’s exactly why as a shareholder I disapprove of what Apple is doing here.

Did Lewis do legitimate work to advance a noble cause some decades ago? Yes

Did Lewis, later in life, advance a party of bigotry, hatred and Marxism? Yes

Comment

XNorth

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2018
United States

He advanced a party of bigotry? I didn’t know he supported white supremacists.
[automerge]1595723991[/automerge]
It's only a contradiction for political postmodernists

"I didn’t agree with Hitler’s politics most of the time, however I admired his anti-Jewish work," says a political non-postmodernist.👍
[automerge]1595724411[/automerge]
Or some know that blacks already have equal rights but also want preferential treatment. Can't have both folks. I say equality.
Everyone has equal rights under the law. But not everyone receives equal, fair or just treatment, especially black people. Look up discrimantion and racism.

Last edited:
Comment

Complex757

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2016
Yup and that’s exactly why as a shareholder I disapprove of what Apple is doing here.

Did Lewis do legitimate work to advance a noble cause some decades ago? Yes

John Lewis was never a Republican.

Reactions: PrincePoppycock
Comment

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
He advanced a party of bigotry? I didn’t know he supported white supremacists.
[automerge]1595723991[/automerge]

"I didn’t agree with Hitler’s politics most of the time, however I admired his anti-Jewish work," says a political non-postmodernist.👍
[automerge]1595724411[/automerge]

Everyone has equal rights under the law. But not everyone receives equal, fair or just treatment, especially black people. Look up discrimantion and racism.

There is more racism and discrimination towards white people than black people. Just like the fact that more than double white people are shot by cops than black people although black people commit 5 times more violent crimes than white people. What a joke.

Comment

XNorth

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2018
United States
There is more racism and discrimination towards white people than black people. Just like the fact that more than double white people are shot by cops than black people although black people commit 5 times more violent crimes than white people. What a joke.
You are so right. White people have had it so much worse than black people. I’m surprised no one new that.

Comment

Complex757

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2016
Right, republicans are the party of equality. Democrats are the party of racism, communism, and just about every other evil thing you can think of.

Yeah, and being the party of swastikas and confederate flags is all fake news. You're really for inclusion and equal rights and your rallies are good cross section of the country.

Reactions: CarlJ
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.