Apple done with Macbook fixes or Not yet?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MedoGiboba, Dec 22, 2007.

1. MedoGiboba macrumors newbie

Hi guys

New to Mac and I would like to buy a macbook (the white one with super drive)

I am waiting, but not waiting for the Macworld (cause even there is an upgrade in macbook which most people doubt that, I do not like to be from the first people to buy a new thing in its testing phase )

I am waiting to be sure that all bugs and problems in the November macbook upgrade and New Leopard appeared and Apple fixed that.

And that is my Question

Are all known Bugs and problems in the Nov. macbook, Leopard solved and fixed like the keyboard problem and blue screen.?

and did Apple included these fixes in the new macbooks in the Apple stores now?

And If anyone have any advices about the macbook I want to buy?

Thank you

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I haven't had any problems with my MacBook. I ordered it the day they were updated.

3. MedoGiboba thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying

But I heard that there is a problem about a Keyboard lag on sleep or something like that an Apple released a Fix for that.
    also a problem in the Leopard about a Blue screen.

May be these problems not appear in every macbook

So I am asked if there is any other Known bugs and are they fixed and the fixed included in the new ones?

4. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

The keyboard bug has apparently been fixed...all the other known issues seem to happen on an individual basis based on (bad) luck...many of the bugs seem to also be Leopard related, which should be fixed when 10.5.2 is released probably at Macworld.

I would buy right now if I were you. If you encounter any problems use your warranty.

5. macwannabe77 macrumors member

macwannabe77

I bought the same macbook you are considering in November and I love it. I have not had any glitches or any serious problems. Apple usually is pretty good about putting out fixes and updates.

Are ALL the bugs fixed? Prob not, Leopard is relatively new and will prob be updated periodically.

I love the machine! Coming from the PC, THere are FAR less bugs, freezes and other frustrating problems with my new macbook. :apple:

6. doug.hall macrumors regular

Unfortunately I've not been so lucky because all I've had is problems with Macbooks. This is my second macbook since the SR version was released in November. My current issues are:

1) The macbook won't restart or shut down unless I force it via the power button (this happened with both units)
    2) The external hard-disk attached via my AEBS disconnects and the only way to reconnect is a hard reset of the mac. Also will not connect automatically upon start up. I think this is a leopard issue because I have created a temporary fix for it.
    3) The battery life is terrible. Currently it lasts a max 4 hours and after just 4 full load cycles it only holds 87% of its original capacity.
    4) The track pad is very jerky. My PB is really smooth and I love it but the Macbook is not.
    5) The machine appears very sluggish and freezes on a regular basis.
    6) Overall build quality does not appear as good as the PB or the early Macbooks. The casing has hairline cracks appearing in it and it flexes a lot which can't be good.

Over all I'm not impressed with any of the new macbooks but from the comments above it appears that I've been unlucky. However I do question if it is just bad luck when a lot of the issues have happened on a number of machines - in total I've ordered 4 macbooks from apple in the past 12 months and not one of them is a patch on my old PB. I'm now thinking of upgrading to the MBP. Mind you, don't get me wrong.. it is still much better than my work PC - I just have higher expectations with apple products.

7. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

i have the new MB

and updated to 10.5.1

but the keyboard bugs are still there

the 1st character sometimes still not showing up when we type something ( rarely, but still does like once in a while )

is it supposed to happen again even after we update to 10.5.1?

i just purchased it like this 26 dec, but i had to install the leopard because mine was shipped with the 10.4.10

are the keyboard bugs thing supposed to happen even in 10.5.1?/???

8. Surely Guest

Surely

I wouldn't be impressed either, but have you taken any of these issues up with Apple? I think that they would give you a new MacBook. Why would you bother living with these problems? Don't be a martyr, dude.

Here's the issue I had, and how it was resolved....
    I bought my SR MacBook in November. I was having a problem with the keyboard and trackpad. The keyboard seems stiff, and the 'j' button didn't work all the time (on the first press, it wouldn't work, so I would have to go back and correct all the words with a 'j' in them- PITA). The trackpad worked fine, but the trackpad button was unbalanced and slightly crooked and when I clicked the right side of it, it made a loud crunch sound. I made an appointment at my local Genius Bar (Eaton Centre), showed the guy the problem, and within 30 seconds he was ordering me a new keyboard and trackpad. They fixed it in 2 hours (it was supposed to be 48 hours), and now it works perfectly. BTW, I don't have Applecare, but I was planning on buying it before my initial 3 months are up.

I love my MacBook- I'm very happy with my decision to upgrade to it from my iBook.

Take it to an Apple Store and see what they can do for you.

9. peejack macrumors 6502a

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Pre-SR Macbooks can run Tiger and Leopard. SR Macbooks can run Leopard. Guess which I got? Which OS I run? How many problems I've had?

Pre, Tiger, Zero.

11. Surely Guest

Surely

I don't think any SR MacBooks shipped without Leopard. Especially as late as Dec. 26th.

Who did you buy it from?

Your MacBook may be a new MacBook, but I don't think that it is "the new MB", meaning the Santa Rosa revision.

12. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It would be impossible for a SR Macbook to ship without Leopard, as it is impossible to run Tiger on a SR Macbook, due to Apple's refusal to provide drivers for the SR video card. So yeah--if your MB shipped with Tiger, it isn't Santa Rosa. Going back and reading his recent posts, I'm guessing he wrote MB when he meant to write MBP. If that's the case, then yeah, SR MBP's can run Tiger.

13. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

no,, you guys get me wrong

im sorry if it wasn't clear

what i tried to say is

my MB is not yet installed with Leopard, and when it comes, it's still 10.4.10, it do comes with the Leopard CD

and i had to install it myself ( the leopard )

and yes mine is already Santa Rosa :D

but this keyboard issue is still bugging me, after 10.5.1 still the same, though not that often and not a very big issue at all, just feels like it should be gone forever to make me feels good :D

14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

What's the speed of your Macbook? You can find out by clicking the Apple, and then "About this Mac". What's the video card? You can find out by clicking About This Mac->More Info->Graphics/Displays.

What do both of these say?

15. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

mine is Black MB 2.2GHz C2D 4 gig ram and GMA X3100 144mb ddr2

it's supposed to be the newest MB available now

i bought it alongside my MBP aswell

but the problem is, the MBP ones also got the same issue with the 1st lettering after 10.5.1 update aswell

i guess it's happening to all the current mbps and mbs?

16. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I just bought a refurbished MacBook about a month ago and haven't had a single problem with it. No keyboard issues at all. I'd say now is probably the best time to get one since the current MacBook is most likely the last revision of the current model before the new model at Macworld.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

that's unpossible
    :confused::confused:

18. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Really? Wow.

It's a Leopard issue, not a Macbook/Pro issue. If it affects a computer running Leopard, it's going to keep affecting it until Apple releases a fix.

19. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

ok so it's the leopard issue, has anyone who runs 10.5.1 still got the keyboard issue thing besides me? cause if don't, why only me :(

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I was going to comment on your first post, but since you asked again, I'll reply to this one. :)

The keyboard update and the update to 10.5.1 were two different updates. Make sure you have done both.

As for whether or not the problem will disappear entirely, I think many posters have indicated that the problem has not gone away entirely. It worked for me personally, but there are many people who report having problems still, so all I can say is just wait for 10.5.2.