Apple down 10 points today but slowly "recovering"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samcraig, Jul 19, 2010.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

It probably has more to do with tomorrow's earnings call than what happened on Friday. The stock lost more than $10 the last trading day before the previous earnings call in January.

3. PerfSeeker macrumors 6502a

Low buyers are selling off now in anticipation of record earnings. They'll take their profit now and then buy back again.

4. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

I so wish I had money to buy some stock right now.

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

But if the stock is set to climb later this week - why sell now - why not wait a few days?

6. PerfSeeker macrumors 6502a

If you bought in at $140, now is a perfect time to take your $100/share profit. :cool:

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Or last week when it was higher - or later this week when the anticipation is that it will be higher.

So again - why sell when it's down?

8. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Agh I wish I had some more money to put into this...

9. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I know as much about the stock market as I do about rocket science, so I'm not trying to be rude. But how in the world does this make sense?

10. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Same here. I don't get it. If stock will rise tomorrow or the next day...why sell now? I know nothing about stocks either.

11. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

12. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

13. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

Put options, where you buy the right to sell a stock for a certain amount in anticipation of a decline in stock price. One side of the transaction assumes an increase or stability in price, and the other expects a decline.

The opposite is the call option, where one side expects a decline or stability, and the other expects a rise.

In both cases, the buyer never owns the stock. they own the "rights" to sell to a buyer at a pre-determined option price.

... the explanation may be a bit off, as it has been years since my finance days...

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Down again today.. but the quarterly report is later today. Should be interesting.

I remember people saying that some of these daily sell offs is no indication of people's faith in Apple. And that (and a few people gave examples in other threads) that unless it's 30 points - it's not significant. Well as of today - it's right around that for a drop since June 18th.

15. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

People are selling their shares before earnings because they want to realize their profit before the considerable risk that is inherent in earnings calls. They just want to cash out and don't want to get hit by what could e a sharp drop after not-so-stellar earnings.

16. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

With the # of iPhones sold this quarter I suspect earnings will be pretty good. How that weighs in vs the court of public opinion and Apple's rep lately in the press is a different matter.

17. doboy macrumors 68000

Also some analyst came out yesterday and said their gross margin may be slightly lower than expected. And recent earnings from other tech companies sans Intel hasn't been that hot starting with Google last week.

18. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

This is accurate, but I can't understand why anymore. Apple has consistently reported earnings more than 50% above expectations. Why analysts keep lowballing is beyond me.

19. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6