Apple drives: 320 vs 500 gb

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Derek87, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Derek87 macrumors 6502

so, i know it's generally adviseable to buy ones own drives and RAM rather than from Apple.

but, as i finalize my decision to buy a single quad core, i'm struck by the option to spend $42 more to upgrade the 320 -> 500 gb drive.

obviously, it's only 180 gb, but since i have enough old drives lying around (of various size), i almost view the $42 price the price of a 500 gb drive should i buy one straight off the shelf brand new and perhaps a better option of "consolidation" vs getting the 320 standard one.

so the question is this: is the 500 gb drive Apple installs worth $42? anyone know what these drives are? 16 mb cache? fairly decent speed? i'll be using this drive initially and then swapping it as a "time machine/backup" drive to a secondary bay down the road when i have more cash and can figure an optimal solution.

thoughts would be appreciated and if someone knows in recent experience what 320 and 500 gb drives Apple uses/provides, that would be most helpful.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Why stop at 500 Gb? I went all the way to 1 Tb and never looked back.

3. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Yeah but Apple's 1TB upgrade is stupidly overpriced. He want's to know if the $50 bucks off the bat it worth it from Apple. Personally I say get the standard drive and then just get another drive yourself. 320gigs is more than enough for a boot drive though. You should only be keeping your OS and apps on it anyway. You should really keep all your files on a different drive. I would use the stock 320gb as your boot and get a 1TB drive for everything else. You can get one of those for around $100 bucks now.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

since it's a mac pro, i say stick with the 320. you can always add more drives later, upgrade the current, etc.

if it was an imac, my advice would be to spend the money to get the 500GB from apple.

5. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

advice as above^

i'll be in your situation (hopefully) in a couple of months...and the plan is to buy a stock standard MP (with airport card) then buy 3rd party ram and HDD's

also as said above, boot disc should only have OS+apps on it anyway...