Apple Drops $149 Price Tag of Milanese and Leather Loop Apple Watch Bands to $99

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 11, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Alongside the announcement of the Apple Watch Series 5 yesterday, Apple has now updated the price on some of its high-end leather and metallic bands.

[​IMG]

Specifically, the original $149 price tag of Leather Loop and Milanese Loop Apple Watch bands has now dropped to $99. This means that they're only $50 more expensive than Apple's cheapest Sport Bands and Sport Loops, which cost $49.

Leather Loop is now available in Meyer Lemon, Black, and Saddle Brown; it only fits 44mm Apple Watch cases. Milanese Loop is available in Silver, Gold, and Space Black; it can fit both 40mm and 44mm cases.

Apple has not dropped the price of the Modern Buckle any further, although at $149 it is still $100 cheaper than it initially was at launch. Hermès bands are as much as $539, and the Silver Link Bracelet is $349, while the Space Black Link Bracelet is $449.

More information about the new Apple Watch Series 5 can be found in our full launch post on the new wearable.

Article Link: Apple Drops $149 Price Tag of Milanese and Leather Loop Apple Watch Bands to $99

2. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

I found the Milanese loop on Amazon for $15 to be adequate... is the quality on Apple's that much higher?

3. whoknows2597 macrumors member

whoknows2597

Awesome! But Apple PLEASE make a neon colored band, not a hot colored one.

4. kup1986 macrumors member

Actually, if you go into the apple studio and design your series 5, you can upgrade to the Milanese loop for just $50 more.

5. whoknows2597 macrumors member

whoknows2597

From the series 4 launch, someone reviewed the band and said that the clasp was better, and similar to that of the sports loop in terms of ease of use. Apple did tweak the design so the clasp wouldn’t come out completely when taking it off. I stand corrected if I am wrong.

6. matt_and_187_like_this macrumors regular

My faith in humanity has been lost in this forum.

7. PickUrPoison Suspended

8. justiny Contributor

justiny

I have some genuine bands and a ton of Amazon and eBay knock offs. In my experience, the knock offs are always adequate in the beginning but do not age well. They just don’t have the same quality of the genuine ones. Of course, YMMV.

9. PickUrPoison Suspended

If a $50 Apple watch band triggers you, the $539 Hermès band would probably cause a complete collapse. :eek: Medic!!

:D

10. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Apple tweaked it so that the clasp DOES come out completely. The original Milanese clasp can’t fully come out (which I prefer). Not sure why they changed it.

11. whoknows2597 macrumors member

whoknows2597

I purchased a knock off midnight blue from amazon, and while it looks very close to the one Apple previously offered, my concern is how well the mechanism locks. Sometimes, I can hear the “click” and other times nothing. Though Apples bands are a bit pricy, at least you know what your getting when it comes to build quality and customer service.

12. Zxxv macrumors 68040

So it would lay flat on the AirPower charging mat...

...oh But haha

13. justiny Contributor

justiny

MacRumors news forum members complain of Apple’s prices, insist TC is evil and demand his exit from the company.

Apple cuts prices.

MacRumors news forum members continue to complain of Apple’s prices, insist TC is evil and demand his exit from the company.

14. whoknows2597 macrumors member

whoknows2597

Oh wow. Thank you! I have a knock off from amazon and unfortunately because I have small wrists, the clasp ends up touching the other side of the watch. While it does not come off, I worry that it may slip out sometimes, or that it will scratch the body, so I rarely use it.

15. gsmornot macrumors 68040

gsmornot

If you want a band that ages well, look at the link bracelet. Not cheap but a great match to the stainless watch and looks as good today as it did a year ago when it was bought. It will easily last as long as they continue with the band sizes we have now.

16. matt_and_187_like_this macrumors regular

You can probably get it at a ‘discount’ in Apple watch studio.

17. JSRinUK macrumors member

JSRinUK

I wanted a blue Milanese loop for an event I was attending. A £6 one from eBay did the job just fine.

18. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

i've had one for years from amazon. you can't tell much difference unless looking for the differences. i like my amazon band.

19. rosegoldoli macrumors 6502

rosegoldoli

20. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

They need to drop the price of the sport bands, too. I know there are a lot of third party bands available for a lot less. But, I worry about what kind of chemicals, or how much lead might leach into my bloodstream from those. Call me weird, or whatever.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Some have mentioned the magnets are stronger on the OEM Milanese loop and third party Milanese loops start to discolor after while versus Apples.

22. Porco macrumors 68040

Porco

FWIW I bought a cheap black Milanese loop from Amazon shortly after I bought my Series 2 Watch. It's my most worn strap of the few I own, probably worn it 85% of the time. The black colour has come off very slightly on some of it, but not the outer (visible part) when wearing it. The magnet is perfectly strong. It was about 10% the price of the official Apple one and I don't regret my decision at all.

I would expect the Apple one is slightly nicer, so whether it's worth it to you is a personal choice.

23. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 65816

TheSkywalker77

Something amazing is happening at Apple, price cuts on the iPhone 11 (vs XR), price cuts on two amazing watch bands, and very affordable pricing on Apple TV+ and Apple Arcade. I need to use this to my advantage. ;)

24. techfreak23 macrumors regular

techfreak23

I can’t believe they still haven’t released the leather loop in the smaller size. Do they think those of us who prefer a smaller watch wouldn’t like to have the leather loop? I don’t want the modern buckle, I want the loop! I had gotten one from Amazon that was almost identical in look, but only lasted about 3 months before I had to replace it through the warranty.

25. WalterTizzano macrumors 6502

WalterTizzano

I suspect the lost faith is due to the fact that replacing the default $49 band with a $99 band of course costs ‘just’ $50, so there isn’t any discount or reason to be surprised. It’s just basic maths.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 11, 2019 ---
    all it’s happening is that sales are down and they need to lower prices. About time.