Apple DUMPING base rmb????

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nychot, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Nychot macrumors 6502a

eBay store now selling it for $1149 (no tax outside of NYC, free shipping. I took print out to BB and they said they'd match, but they charge tax. Other retailers I heard are now dropping the price. It's only on the base. I suspect Apple's going to drop the price officially, or just watch as retailers do and the stock of the base gets sold to be replaced, probably, by an update. and maybe soon. Anyone paying full price at this point for the base should be wary.

2. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

eBay stores tend to do achieve lower prices via grey imports, mainly from HK/China; I'd be surprised if Apple dropped the price within six months of launch.

3. Aboo macrumors 6502a

How does importing from Hong Kong or China decrease costs?

4. cube macrumors G5

5. xPad macrumors regular

Um, how is someone else selling Macs at a lower price an example of Apple "dumping" a product?

Go to Apple.com. That's Apple's price. They aren't dumping anything. Lots of online stores sell Apple products at discounts. Every week, this very site shows such deals, which can be up to $200 or more off. And even Best Buy will have similar discounts.

6. Aboo macrumors 6502a

How are they cheaper? Even with the education discount on the Chinese Apple Store, the base RMB is 8928 RMB which is 1397 USD...

7. cube, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  8. cube macrumors G5

9. cube macrumors G5

What is the export price of Apple products in China? I imagine they could be cheaper then, without high taxes.

10. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

At the moment it's 10rmb=£1; at times it's been as high as 16rmb to the £. Ditto HKD - it's currently around 12 to the £, but has been as high as 15.

To be fair, I don't pretend to understand the ins and outs of grey imports - and maybe they fell off trucks or went out the back of the factory, I don't know - but eBay has always had cheaper, questionably-sourced Apple products shortly after launch. For me the risk never outweighs the reward (and customs in the UK will usually sting you for more than the savings).

11. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

But these are legit apple laptops from a legit company. not knockoffs. anyone paying full price plus tax now are suckers.

12. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple gives the ok for them to sell at a lower price. right now apple is holding the line. but believe me the price at least on the base is dropping everywhere else which is good for the consumer. fk what apple prices on its site.

13. Dunbar macrumors 6502

The Chinese government just announced they were going to devalue their currency. So it could mean more grey market sales from China.

14. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

That goes for every apple product.

Wait till you run into issues with these 3rd party sellers or want to make a return, you will understand why buying directly from Apple is not for suckers!

15. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

I disagree as i'm not an apple rah rah type, just a satisfied apple user. The new, unopened rmb for the low price from the ebay retailer are fully warranteed and guaranteed by apple. I called apple to check. And like apple, the ebay seller is offering a 14 day return policy. So get your facts straight and stop offering biased assumptions.

16. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

Even here in Sweden, some retailers are already dropping prices and offering them on sale. Don't think they're selling as well as expected, here at least. (That's not to say they aren't selling well).

17. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Speaking of getting facts right, follow your own advise.

You completely missed the fact that apple allows you to open and use the item for 14 days, the 3rd party sellers allow 14 day return of the package in original condition, ie, not opened! Apple policy is not strings and not questions asked.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEWEST-Appl...256-GB-/121731065948?var=&hash=item1c57bca85c

Here are the conditions! http://stores.ebay.com/Blutek-USA/payment-and-returns

What was that about getting facts straight and offering biased assumptions? seriously.... a 15%-30% restocking fee.... read the conditions mate!

18. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, mate, there would be no reason to return the rmb to blutek. if there were any problems with the computer it's FULLY covered by Apple. Just take it to the genius bar or call apple and any problem is taken care of. At the same time $1149, no tax, is a lot better than $1299 PLUS tax for the same computer. Blutek AND now even Amazon won't let you play with the computer to get the feel and then return it if you don't like it without paying a restocking fee. That makes good business sense. You have to know you want it to order deals like the one offered from Blutek. One could actually buy at best buy, play with it, determine whether you like it, return it, and then buy from Blutek or simiilar at a MUCH lower price. That kind of consumer dealing happens all the time and theres nothing illegal about it. So get YOUR facts straight, mate.

19. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

My facts are straight. People who shop directly with apple are not suckers.

Sure you can save money going with 3rd party suppliers, apple will honour the warranty, but if you want a refund for any reason, you gamble.

The simple fact is Apple has the best return policy and customer service.

Go ahead and save yourself yourself some coin, but your gets your facts right why people prefer to pay full price through apple, and don't insult them.

20. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Finally, matching the 10% BB coupon deal many of us got near launch :D

21. audiofx macrumors regular

I see NYC is your name., was this a NYC best buy that would match? Which one? Thanks!

22. cube macrumors G5

The RMB has already been allowed to drop somewhat some days in the past week or so.

23. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

24. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

I am in no way insulting anyone. I'm hopefully informing anyone now looking to buy a base rmb the they have an option of either paying $1149 and no tax from a legitimate ebay seller, or paying $1299 plus tax from apple. Even with the BB mover coupon the price would be $1170 plus sales tax. And depending on the BB store they may not give the discount.there have been a lot of complaints about BB and the coupon. So stop defending apple so staunchly and acknowledge that there are legit deals to be had. Or maybe it's just sour grapes that you paid full price. I know i'd be pissed if I did.

25. KPOM macrumors G5

It's conceivable that Apple will quietly update the MacBook to Skylake in a couple of months. It depends when Intel makes the Skylake Y chips available, and when Apple decides to stop using the Broadwell chip. The Broadwell Y chips came out last September, but the MacBook wasn't released until April.