Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
eBay store now selling it for $1149 (no tax outside of NYC, free shipping. I took print out to BB and they said they'd match, but they charge tax. Other retailers I heard are now dropping the price. It's only on the base. I suspect Apple's going to drop the price officially, or just watch as retailers do and the stock of the base gets sold to be replaced, probably, by an update. and maybe soon. Anyone paying full price at this point for the base should be wary.

Reactions: vbedia

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
eBay stores tend to do achieve lower prices via grey imports, mainly from HK/China; I'd be surprised if Apple dropped the price within six months of launch.

xPad

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
eBay store now selling it for $1149 (no tax outside of NYC, free shipping. I took print out to BB and they said they'd match, but they charge tax. Other retailers I heard are now dropping the price. It's only on the base. I suspect Apple's going to drop the price officially, or just watch as retailers do and the stock of the base gets sold to be replaced, probably, by an update. and maybe soon. Anyone paying full price at this point for the base should be wary.
Um, how is someone else selling Macs at a lower price an example of Apple "dumping" a product?

Go to Apple.com. That's Apple's price. They aren't dumping anything. Lots of online stores sell Apple products at discounts. Every week, this very site shows such deals, which can be up to $200 or more off. And even Best Buy will have similar discounts.

Reactions: MyopicPaideia

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
What is the export price of Apple products in China? I imagine they could be cheaper then, without high taxes.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
At the moment it's 10rmb=£1; at times it's been as high as 16rmb to the £. Ditto HKD - it's currently around 12 to the £, but has been as high as 15.

To be fair, I don't pretend to understand the ins and outs of grey imports - and maybe they fell off trucks or went out the back of the factory, I don't know - but eBay has always had cheaper, questionably-sourced Apple products shortly after launch. For me the risk never outweighs the reward (and customs in the UK will usually sting you for more than the savings).

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
eBay stores tend to do achieve lower prices via grey imports, mainly from HK/China; I'd be surprised if Apple dropped the price within six months of launch.

But these are legit apple laptops from a legit company. not knockoffs. anyone paying full price plus tax now are suckers.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
Um, how is someone else selling Macs at a lower price an example of Apple "dumping" a product?

Go to Apple.com. That's Apple's price. They aren't dumping anything. Lots of online stores sell Apple products at discounts. Every week, this very site shows such deals, which can be up to $200 or more off. And even Best Buy will have similar discounts.

Apple gives the ok for them to sell at a lower price. right now apple is holding the line. but believe me the price at least on the base is dropping everywhere else which is good for the consumer. fk what apple prices on its site.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
But these are legit apple laptops from a legit company. not knockoffs. anyone paying full price plus tax now are suckers.

That goes for every apple product.

Wait till you run into issues with these 3rd party sellers or want to make a return, you will understand why buying directly from Apple is not for suckers!

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2015
That goes for every apple product.

Wait till you run into issues with these 3rd party sellers or want to make a return, you will understand why buying directly from Apple is not for suckers!

I disagree as i'm not an apple rah rah type, just a satisfied apple user. The new, unopened rmb for the low price from the ebay retailer are fully warranteed and guaranteed by apple. I called apple to check. And like apple, the ebay seller is offering a 14 day return policy. So get your facts straight and stop offering biased assumptions.

Reactions: wlossw and Keniutek

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Even here in Sweden, some retailers are already dropping prices and offering them on sale. Don't think they're selling as well as expected, here at least. (That's not to say they aren't selling well).

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I disagree as i'm not an apple rah rah type, just a satisfied apple user. The new, unopened rmb for the low price from the ebay retailer are fully warranteed and guaranteed by apple. I called apple to check. And like apple, the ebay seller is offering a 14 day return policy. So get your facts straight and stop offering biased assumptions.

Speaking of getting facts right, follow your own advise.

You completely missed the fact that apple allows you to open and use the item for 14 days, the 3rd party sellers allow 14 day return of the package in original condition, ie, not opened! Apple policy is not strings and not questions asked.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEWEST-Appl...256-GB-/121731065948?var=&hash=item1c57bca85c

Here are the conditions! http://stores.ebay.com/Blutek-USA/payment-and-returns

What was that about getting facts straight and offering biased assumptions? seriously.... a 15%-30% restocking fee.... read the conditions mate!

Reactions: ixxx69

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
Speaking of getting facts right, follow your own advise.

You completely missed the fact that apple allows you to open and use the item for 14 days, the 3rd party sellers allow 14 day return of the package in original condition, ie, not opened! Apple policy is not strings and not questions asked.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEWEST-Appl...256-GB-/121731065948?var=&hash=item1c57bca85c

Here are the conditions! http://stores.ebay.com/Blutek-USA/payment-and-returns

What was that about getting facts straight and offering biased assumptions? seriously.... a 15%-30% restocking fee.... read the conditions mate!

Well, mate, there would be no reason to return the rmb to blutek. if there were any problems with the computer it's FULLY covered by Apple. Just take it to the genius bar or call apple and any problem is taken care of. At the same time $1149, no tax, is a lot better than $1299 PLUS tax for the same computer. Blutek AND now even Amazon won't let you play with the computer to get the feel and then return it if you don't like it without paying a restocking fee. That makes good business sense. You have to know you want it to order deals like the one offered from Blutek. One could actually buy at best buy, play with it, determine whether you like it, return it, and then buy from Blutek or simiilar at a MUCH lower price. That kind of consumer dealing happens all the time and theres nothing illegal about it. So get YOUR facts straight, mate.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Well, mate, there would be no reason to return the rmb to blutek. if there were any problems with the computer it's FULLY covered by Apple. Just take it to the genius bar or call apple and any problem is taken care of. At the same time $1149, no tax, is a lot better than $1299 PLUS tax for the same computer. Blutek AND now even Amazon won't let you play with the computer to get the feel and then return it if you don't like it without paying a restocking fee. That makes good business sense. You have to know you want it to order deals like the one offered from Blutek. One could actually buy at best buy, play with it, determine whether you like it, return it, and then buy from Blutek or simiilar at a MUCH lower price. That kind of consumer dealing happens all the time and theres nothing illegal about it. So get YOUR facts straight, mate.

My facts are straight. People who shop directly with apple are not suckers.

Sure you can save money going with 3rd party suppliers, apple will honour the warranty, but if you want a refund for any reason, you gamble.

The simple fact is Apple has the best return policy and customer service.

Go ahead and save yourself yourself some coin, but your gets your facts right why people prefer to pay full price through apple, and don't insult them.

audiofx

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
NYC

I see NYC is your name., was this a NYC best buy that would match? Which one? Thanks!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The Chinese government just announced they were going to devalue their currency. So it could mean more grey market sales from China.
The RMB has already been allowed to drop somewhat some days in the past week or so.

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2015
I am in no way insulting anyone. I'm hopefully informing anyone now looking to buy a base rmb the they have an option of either paying $1149 and no tax from a legitimate ebay seller, or paying $1299 plus tax from apple. Even with the BB mover coupon the price would be $1170 plus sales tax. And depending on the BB store they may not give the discount.there have been a lot of complaints about BB and the coupon. So stop defending apple so staunchly and acknowledge that there are legit deals to be had. Or maybe it's just sour grapes that you paid full price. I know i'd be pissed if I did.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It's conceivable that Apple will quietly update the MacBook to Skylake in a couple of months. It depends when Intel makes the Skylake Y chips available, and when Apple decides to stop using the Broadwell chip. The Broadwell Y chips came out last September, but the MacBook wasn't released until April.

Reactions: Cape Dave
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.