Apple DVD Player problem with "Copy Protection"

Sedulous

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
Recently I wanted to watch "Million Dollar Baby" on DVD. I put the DVD in and........ nothing! My computer won't even mount the stupid disc. This was the first time I had experienced this problem with any of my 300+ DVDs (that I own). Yes indeed, I was rather annoyed. I had come across a similar thread started (and quickly ended) here, which I had hoped would answer the question. So I ask in less "offensible" terms (that is a legit word, just ask the Dubya): Is there a way to play these new (and very annoying) overly copyprotected DVDs?

The disc plays normally in a stand-alone DVD player.

OS 10.4.2 on Quicksilver Dual 800MHz w/Superdrive

Sedulous

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
Darwin said:
Urgh, well that sucks. "RipGuard" doesn't live up to its name. In fact, the only way I could watch the stupid movie was to rip it (and to avoid provoking the wrath of a moderator - let's just say the program starts with "hand-----").

How likely is it that there will be a fix for this? It is a real pain to rip every movie I want to watch.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Sedulous said:
How likely is it that there will be a fix for this? It is a real pain to rip every movie I want to watch.
You'll be happy to hear this then :D:

Macrovision has said that Rip Guard can be updated if hackers find a way around the new anti-copying measures.
Not sure how this affects Non-Windows Systems though but it can only get tougher in the future

krimson

macrumors 65816
Sedulous said:
Recently I wanted to watch "Million Dollar Baby" on DVD. I put the DVD in and........ nothing! My computer won't even mount the stupid disc. This was the first time I had experienced this problem with any of my 300+ DVDs (that I own). Yes indeed, I was rather annoyed. I had come across a similar thread started (and quickly ended) here, which I had hoped would answer the question. So I ask in less "offensible" terms (that is a legit word, just ask the Dubya): Is there a way to play these new (and very annoying) overly copyprotected DVDs?

The disc plays normally in a stand-alone DVD player.

OS 10.4.2 on Quicksilver Dual 800MHz w/Superdrive

I watched that on my Quicksilver without any problems... though im not using TIger yet.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Sedulous said:
Urgh, well that sucks. "RipGuard" doesn't live up to its name. In fact, the only way I could watch the stupid movie was to rip it (and to avoid provoking the wrath of a moderator - let's just say the program starts with "hand-----").

Sed,

How did you rip the movie without mounting it? In your first post, you said it wouldn't mount.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
ftaok said:
Sed,

How did you rip the movie without mounting it? In your first post, you said it wouldn't mount.
I think he means it wouldn't mount on the desktop. Lots of times Disk Utility and other Apps can still see it and do things with it.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
ITASOR said:
I think he means it wouldn't mount on the desktop. Lots of times Disk Utility and other Apps can still see it and do things with it.
Learn something new everyday.

ft

Sedulous

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
ftaok said:
Sed,

Excellent question but I don't have a very satisfying answer: Handbrake detected the DVD eventhough it wouldn't show on the desktop and Apple's DVD player, along with several other apps refused to "see" the DVD.

Sedulous

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
krimson said:
I watched that on my Quicksilver without any problems... though im not using TIger yet.
My guess is that it has something to do either with Tiger's version of DVD Player or possibly a difference between our optical drives (I have and old 2x superdrive).