Apple DVD Player Region Codes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Atamagaii, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Atamagaii macrumors newbie

Hi all!

NB: First mac...

When I first put a DVD into my mac (DVD and mac both from Australia) I was asked to set my region code - fair enough. Then, I inserted another dvd, from Australia again. I had to reset my region code. I was alarmed to find that I could only set my region code 5 times...

I know of alternatives such as VLC that ignore region coding, but none of these offer the tight integration that Apple's DVD player does.

A quick google search also revealed the possibilities of installing a region-free drive, and using a utility called RegionX, which resets OSX's region change counter (only with region-free drives...). Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of extra optical drive bays, as with the Mac Pro...

Does anyone know of any other workarounds? Any comments?

2. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

You shouldn't need to rest the region coding on the second disc if they were both region 4. Are you sure the first one (or the second one) are from the same region? Be sure to check region coding - just because you purchased in Australia doesn't necessarily mean it's the Australian code (for example, if you purchased secondhand, or from an import store).

Now, if I understand correctly, the region coding is hardwired into the firmware of the disc drive - it's from the manufacturer of the drive, not Apple. Apple has to follow the guidelines set out by the manufacturers and the DVD consortium. The workarounds are hacking the DVD drive, which I think only works with certain models, and done incorrectly can leave you with a non-functional drive.

3. Atamagaii thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm... I think I'll keep it set to what my region should be, and then use VLC for whatever doesn't work...

4. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

That's how it should be done. The 5 changes are for a 'grace' period - to let you decide what you want, and/or if you change country.

5. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Where is the region setting information stored? Is there is a .plist file somewhere that can either be modified or deleted? I've never really had to deal with this issue, but I've wondered about it a lot.

6. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

It's part of the firmware in the actual drive, I believe. The 'hacks' are actual hacks, and run the risk of making the drive inoperable.