Apple Ear buds mic vs 3rd Party

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Photogdave, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Photogdave macrumors regular

Photogdave

Well, I searched and didn't return anything specific to my question.

I've been using the ear buds the 4s came with.....and I don't dislike the sound. I'm actually happy with sound.
    I've been considering buying the upgraded Apple version with the different tips that seal the ear for fit.
    The OEM buds, just wont stay in my ear and they are uncomfortable after 20min.
    But not a slash on Apple, to me all hard tip buds are uncomfortable eventually.
    My slash if there were one would be the cords for Apple products are TOO short. Even the charger.

But anyway, my dilemma is this. My wife loves the sound quality of the Apple mic. Others have also mentioned the difference when I call them now.
    When I called her from the car she flat out said that the phone had the best call quality of any of the 10 phones I've ever owned and called her from.
    I said well Im actually using ear buds. She couldnt tell the difference between when I switched in car to buds vs phone.
    So I myself tried it using buds vs BT ear bud and I could really tell a difference. Amazing.
    Not only are the Apple buds very very clear with perfect tone. Bud what I and my wife noticed was the lack of background noise that made the difference. WOW

So, due to the short cord, I'm leaning at a 3rd party pair of buds......but can anyone here compare the mic quality vs Apple buds.
    I'm sure any of the 3rd party buds will have sound quality as good or better than Apple, but its the mic/call quality I'm concerned with.
    I dont know if the awesomeness comes from the actual Apple mic or the phone doing the magic.....BUT I WANNA KEEP IT.

2. Photogdave thread starter macrumors regular

Photogdave

458 views and no responses.....c'mon guys, you're killing me.
    Anybody.....anyone.....Bueller.

3. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

I have the controversial beats by Dre tour edition and everyone tells me that the sound is great when I use them for calls. My fiancé says she can hear me better with less background noise with the Dre's . And the cord is super long. That's my .02

4. Photogdave thread starter macrumors regular

Photogdave

Thanks. That's what I was wondering.
    Did you ever use the Apple buds or did you bypass them and go straight to Beats....wondering how the mic quality compared

5. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Used the apple ones all the time in the car driving or working around the house and they were good but like I said the beats are better at picking up just voice on the mic to the ones Im talking to.

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

photogdave, you and I are on the same path. I'm currently reading and doing research trying to decide what 3rd party ear buds with inline mic to get.

I just bought some MEElectronics M9P from Amazon to hold me over while looking for some "good" ones. I thought about getting the "beats" ones but there's a lot of mixed reviewsd and I don't need a TON of bass.

The hunt continues. Let me know if you find some good ones and where you got them.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

Dre over rated Mee products for the price are a good value. they are having a 40% off sale. I think it end tonight. personally I like Jays a-jay fours they run around $70. there are actually allot of threads on this. but I know the titles be confusing. I like looking at the Amazon reviews because they are everyday users. allot depends on you too.. do you like exaggerated bass or extra highs..

8. henrylkr macrumors member

In ear earpieces being uncomfortable? Try Comply foam tips. I used to hate in-ears too, as they would also fall out easily and/or become uncomfortable after time. After replacing the silicon tip with the foam tips, listening to music became a way more comfortable affair.

Using a-jays 4, but the stupid sound that reaches your ear whenever the wires rub against your body is annoying me.

Meh, should have bought a Kilpsh iS4 instead! :(

9. Photogdave thread starter macrumors regular

Photogdave

I'm with ya. I tried the Beats on the Rezound and that was made with Beats Audio tuning and I wasn't really impressed.
    Yes they had tons of bass....but its way over the top for me. Its really designed for a very young audience that believes deep bass is everything.
    Me, I want quality. Ive been through stereo competition before and after hearing some of the best systems in the world, bass is the least important.
    I want it there, but the beats were way over the top. It almost muffled the highs to a point.

I don't think I'll be disappointed in sound quality with any of them, they all sound pretty good. I don't want $7 maxwells from walmart, but even the Current factory Apple buds sound ok to me. I just hate the hard buds as they fall out and are uncomfortable.
    I see the $79 buds from Apple have the soft rubber tips, don't know what they're called but they're inverted rubber flaps, kinda like umbrella.

I'm sure its the same mic. And that's what I really want. I'm just worried about cord length
    See I have a Wilson Antenna cradle in my work vehicle and the phone has to sit in this at all times. With my good over ear headphones, the cord length is fine.
    But with the Apple versions, its so short, there's light pressure all the time pulling and they just fall out.

I thought about the Bose buds, I love the high end headphones.
    I'm just worried about mic quality.
    I get tons of positive feedback on how clear my calls are to people when using the Apple earbuds.
    I don't know if the good quality is the Apple mic, or if its in phone magic. In other words any decent mic will do, the magic is done by phone.
    It sounds like I'll be ok with any higher end buds.
    Someone already mentioned the Beats being good on call quality.
    It may just be a matter of trying some out I guess.
    I know when I listened from the other end with these buds plugged end driving 70mph down the road....I was amazed how clear they were and how it was like the phone was in a closed bedroom or something.
    My other dilemma is, do I buy a set to replace the over ears....in that case they need to be really good.
    I drive a lot and I listen to podcasts 3 and 4 hrs at a time doing so.
    So I bought some good over ear headphones.....but they don't have a mic......my Fascinate didn't support it, so no need.
    The only thing I don't like about the over ears, they get hot after a while and make ears sweat.
    So, buds would avoid that, so long as they block out noise as good and are comfortable.

10. MinorBidoh macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

Hi,

I used the original apple headphones from the box for about 2days with frustration from poor sound and them falling out. Then I found the apple in ear buds which I have to say were decent for some time. Love the volume and the in ear placement is far. The range, as it were, of music heard when playing wasn't to write home about. They seem a bit closed or funneled in.

I went next to the Denon C560R. I love these and after 4months they are going strong. Only gripe and this could be major for you is that the button placement is low compared to apple. Beautiful sound from the headphones on the up side.