Apple earbud with mic mod on skullcandy FMJ earbuds?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by lazer155, Jul 5, 2010.

1. lazer155 macrumors regular

I have a pair of skullcandy 11mm FMJ earbuds. I saw a thread about modifying the standard apple earbuds with the mic to use in-ear speakers from a different set of earbuds.

Here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=571781

That mod was done using skullcandy ink'd earbuds. Those are plastic and much much easier to open. I was wondering if anyone knew how to do that modification using the skullcandy full metal jacket in-earbuds. I have a pair but I can't figure out how to open them to get to the wires. Does anyone know how to open them or if it's even possible to do this modification with them?

2. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

I have no idea how to do any kind of modification, but if you're doing it just to turn them into in-ear buds, there's ACOUSTIBUDS.

3. lazer155 thread starter macrumors regular

The reason I want to do it is because I like the sound quality and noise canceling of the skullcandy earbuds. I also like the volume control, mic and play/pause on the apple earbuds. I would prefer not to spend alot of money on a pair of in earbuds that have good sound quality/noise cancelation with volume control and a mic. I searched around but I can't find a cheap pair with these features so I thought I could combine the apple and skullcandy to get the features I want. Do you know of any in earbuds with those features that aren't to expensive around $30?

4. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

I don't own either of these but I've had them on my Amazon wish list for a while... been thinking of getting another pair to use as back up when I'm out. Both less than $30.

Scosche

Sony

5. lazer155 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I already have those black fmj skullcandy earbuds. I want to know how to take them apart so I can solder the fmj speakers onto the apple earbuds that came with my iPhone.

6. kpat556 macrumors newbie

here u go

:apple::apple::apple:theres a gap they do a good job hiding you have to pry it apart giving you access to the back of the speaker. :apple::apple::apple:

Attached Files: