Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Thomson Reuters today published its first "Top 100 Global Technology Leaders" list, designed to pinpoint and celebrate "the industry's most operationally sound and financially successful organizations." The list's top five companies are Microsoft, Intel, Cisco, IBM, and Alphabet.

Apple sits in sixth place, followed by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, SAP, Texas Instruments, and Accenture. Thomson Reuters explained that it assessed each company using a 28-data-point algorithm to "objectively identify organizations with the fortitude for the future in today's complex business environment."

tim_cook_hands_raised.jpg

Specifically, each company saw its performance in eight categories measured before being ranked: Financial, Management and Investor Confidence, Risk and Resilience, Legal Compliance, Innovation, People and Social Responsibility, Environmental Impact, and Reputation.
"Tech companies operate at warp speed confronting competitive, regulatory, legal, financial, supply chain and myriad other business challenges. Oftentimes, their financial success overshadows their operational integrity, making it difficult to identify those organizations with true longevity for the future," said Alex Paladino, global managing director of the Thomson Reuters Technology Practice Group. "With the Top 100 Global Tech Leaders, we've identified the unique data points that embody technology-industry leadership in the 21st century; congratulations to the companies that made the list."
Outside of the top 10, companies like Amazon, Facebook, Mastercard, Samsung, Qualcomm, and Pegatron made it onto the list. These remaining 90 companies on the list are not ranked, but were measured and added based on the same 28-factor algorithm as the top 10. The entire list was restricted to companies that have at least $1 billion in annual revenue as well.

The full report goes into greater detail and breaks down how each individual category was researched for the companies. For example, the number of granted patents that are issued each year factored into Innovation, and an overall news sentiment and global media score measured a company's Reputation. For Legal Compliance, Thomson Reuters measured the amount of litigation where the company was a defendant "in the areas of employment/labor, intellectual property, commercial law and contracts, civil rights, and unfair competition."

The researchers didn't go into Apple's performance statistics for each of the eight categories, but they did provide a few tidbits about the overall rankings. In total, 45 percent of the 100 companies are headquartered in the United States, followed by Japan and Taiwan tied in second place with 13 companies each, and then India with five. In terms of continents, North America led with 47 companies, Asia followed closely with 38, Europe had 14, and Australia had one (stock transfer company Computershare).

Apple topped a few lists over the past year, including Interbrand's "2017 Best Global Brands," Fortune's "World's Most Admired Companies," and climbing to become the World's Most Profitable Company on the Fortune Global 500 list. Conversely, in December Apple dropped to 84th on Glassdoor's annual list of the best companies to work for in the United States, after earning the 10th spot on the same list years prior in 2012.

Article Link: Apple Earns Sixth Place on 'Top 100 Global Technology Leaders' List

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Surely sixth place for Apple has got to be viewed as failure.
I know you meant it sarcastically, but seriously that's quite an accomplishment

Kudos to Cook and his team, I've not always agreed with his decisions, but then who am I, but a just nerdy customer. Apple certainly has some very intelligent and gifted people

Reactions: rugmankc and LinusR

eddjedi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
I know you meant it sarcastically, but seriously that's quite an accomplishment

Kudos to Cook and his team, I've not always agreed with his decisions, but then who am I, but a just nerdy customer. Apple certainly has some very intelligent and gifted people

No seriously I mean it. Apple strive to be the biggest innovator in technology. Sixth place does not back that claim up.

nvmls

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2011
No kidding (lol at the top five), maybe Apple is selling more than "innovating" lately? Sounds short considering the cash pile sitting offshore.

Last edited:
Reactions: tridley68

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Thomson Reuters explained that it assessed each company using a 28-data-point algorithm to "objectively identify organizations with the fortitude for the future in today's complex business environment."

Meaningless list. Who pays for this garbage?

Exactly. Meaningless.
How is it objective when the algorithm is subjectively and arbitrarily configured?

Its like using computer rankings to determine the best college football teams
Its fun, it causes discussions, but in the end it is meaningless

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I can't believe they are #6. I can't name one innovative product in the Apple store other than the AirPods.

Damn I miss Steve Jobs. Apple just no longer innovates like it used to.

iPhone X
Apple Watch S3
iMac 5K
Apple Pencil
iPad Pro

kodos

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
As for Apple's evolution -- it happens to every small company that becomes a large one. See: Google's "Do No Evil" to "Be Somewhat Evil".

What was the line from Batman? You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. Something like that anyhow.

That's how I feel about today's Apple. I think the soul of Apple died a long time ago. Not saying that their products aren't still decent (and often better than alternatives). But the soul of the company is long gone.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
iPhone X
Apple Watch S3
iMac 5K
Apple Pencil
iPad Pro
iPhone X's features are by and large what Samsung offered for years, yes FaceID is innovative, and apple has improved what was there, but at the end of the day, a full screen wirelessly charging phone has been out for a long time.
iMac 5k is a nice product
Apple Pencil - you mean a stylus which has been around for years
iPad Pro - throw in a faster processor more ram, slap the word pro on it and raise the price - not sure how that's considered innovation.

Don't get me wrong, I own all of those items (I have an apple watch S0), but listing them as examples of innovation is questionable imo

deferredAnon

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2017
US
Why?

I'm not fan of Google, but I'd have to say many services/products Google offers is superior to what Apple has to offer.
Well, Google essentially makes money from tracking us, our activities, and now stretching even beyond internet. I always found that to be a bit unsettling. My spidey sense always tingles when it comes to Google products. If there is a better product other than a Google one, I try to use that.

In this case, Apple is better.

Reactions: blake2

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
iPhone X's features are by and large what Samsung offered for years, yes FaceID is innovative, and apple has improved what was there, but at the end of the day, a full screen wirelessly charging phone has been out for a long time.
iMac 5k is a nice product
Apple Pencil - you mean a stylus which has been around for years
iPad Pro - throw in a faster processor more ram, slap the word pro on it and raise the price - not sure how that's considered innovation.

Don't get me wrong, I own all of those items (I have an apple watch S0), but listing them as examples of innovation is questionable imo

They're all innovative in some way.

5K iMac has a customer display driver that Apple literally invented, iPad Pro has A10X (everyone always seems to ignore the innovation surrounding Apple's SOCs), Apple Pencil's accuracy is incredible, and is also weighted off center so it doesn't roll off tables (small I know, but still innovative), Apple Watch S3 is just a remarkable bit of kit in and of itself. There's nothing about it that isn't innovative in that thing, it's pretty much pure distilled innovation, on your wrist.

It just depends on how you define innovation, but IMO Apple's stuff is still brimming with it. And that's just the hardware..

Reactions: PickUrPoison

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
iPhone X
Apple Watch S3
iMac 5K
Apple Pencil
iPad Pro

Good products all. I own every single one of them. But none are really unique from a technological perspective -- better than the competition in many aspects, absolutely, but not really unique. They are all rather iterative of other brand's products or Apple's own. And they all have "gaps" in perfection.

Of all of these the Apple Pencil is probably the most innovative because of it's touch sensitivity, but the design of the pencil itself is rather pedestrian with its awkward charging method, easy-to-lose cap, and no good way to store the pen with iPad. On top of that Apple has done little to help devs make it a "must have" for artists or note takers. It's still just an optional accessory that most forego. That's not showing leadership.

To me leadership is when others follow you. It's when Apple debuted a blue all-in-one and then others ran out to copy it. It's when Apple unveiled a (for it's time) the thinnest, lightest, sleekest full-featured laptop ever -- the original TiBook -- and it completely transformed how laptops were designed. Its the PMG5 with it's easy to remove door. It's the iPod and iTunes Store, the iPhone, The MBA. These are all products that changed not only industries but, in many cases, society. Ask a anyone born after 1992 how many mix tapes they've made in there life. Most will say they never even owned a cassette player.

OTOH every product listed above likely sells in the millions, some even tens of millions -- yes, very successful. But they are still niche, not leadership, products.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
This is just like the Country Music Awards.

Of course you're at the top if you're filthy rich and can afford your own multi-million dollar publicity! Duh. :rolleyes:

Your logic is skewed a bit. Of the top 6 companies on the list, Apple is the richest by revenue. So according to your theory above Apple should be #1 because they have the most money to spread around. Being #6 here is like being #4 in an Olympic event.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Thomson Reuters explained that it assessed each company using a 28-data-point algorithm to "objectively identify organizations with the fortitude for the future in today's complex business environment."

Meaningless list. Who pays for this garbage?

I bet if apple was number 1, you would consider their assessment as spot on ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.