Apple EarPods Replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ZakBrandonJake, Oct 28, 2012.

1. ZakBrandonJake macrumors member

Hi there guys, I accidentally put my ear-pods though the washing machine, they don't have a bass anymore, I was wondering if I was to take them to a apple store could I get a replacement pair of them?

Thanks

2. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

not for free.

3. ZakBrandonJake thread starter macrumors member

I know but couldn't I say they're defective? I mean how could they tell at all?

4. Firesign3394 macrumors regular

You could just say they were defective. Whenever mine had issues, the genius bar just gave me a new pair no questions asked.

So yes you can do it, but since you caused the problem it is morally wrong.

5. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

idk I don't think they replace earpods that came with the phone and if all the sudden the bass just stopped working they would assume that you did something.

6. ZakBrandonJake thread starter macrumors member

I understand that is morally wrong, but I have nothing to lose if I think about it. I have bought every iPhone since the 3G.

Everything in the box is covered under the years warranty, It's pretty much like the audio on one side is quite and I doubt genius's assume things, I don't understand what they will do, will they put them in there own ears and listen to them, or will them just take my word for it and hand out a new pair?

7. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

They'll try it out, if you had the earpods for a while they would question your story. It's not like them to just start replacing headphones. When i was getting headphones exchanged I told them it didn't sound very even or something like that and they gave me a new pair every time, and they DID try it.

8. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Yes, they will replace them. Just tell them they stopped working. I've taken several pairs back (non earpods) that failed and they swapped them no questions asked. They only cost Apple a few bucks so please don't let all the moral high horse people convince you otherwise. Just schedule an appt and get them replaced.

9. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

Yeah, just bring them to the store. I'm sure they won't charge for a replacement. It's REALLY cheap for them.

10. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Any set of ear buds $9.99 or more will blow them away so why bother? Granted, the typical scenario is that you're starting with mediocre quality audio, so maybe the analogy would be that using the included headphones on an iPhone would be similar to putting marshmallow tires on a US sports sedan. Spring the $10 and at least double the quality...

11. AFDoc, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

AFDoc macrumors 68030

If you want to be a POS, sure lie and see if they'll replace them. Of course you're the one that will have to deal with your lack of personal integrity but as you're contemplating doing this anyway it seems you have no integrity.

Man up and pay the money for a new pair. YOU caused them to not work correctly so YOU should pay for a new pair. It's funny how some people think about how to do the dishonest thing first instead of taking personal responsibilty for their own actions. Sad.

Yeah you're right, you don't have anything to lose. You obviously lost it a long time ago based on your own statements.

Lots of theives justify their actions, which of course is what you're doing by saying it only cost apple a few bucks. Does it really matter how much it costs apple? It's not a moral high horse, it's common human decency. If every one had your attitude what kind of world would it be? We actually see what kind of world it would be on a micro scale because our jails are filled with peopel that think like you. It's really a shame that your integrity is for sale for a "few bucks". Again, sad.

12. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Yoo bro.. lighten up. It's seriously not that big of a deal. I've gotten water damage phones replaced for free out of warranty with a bit of sweet talking, does this make me an integrity-less heartless monster who can't accept responsibility for my actions?

13. AFDoc macrumors 68030

If you told them they were water damaged and they replaced them sure. If you lied and said they simply stopped working then yeah, it's an integrity issue. I know many will come here and give me crap for what I wrote... I guess that's the difference between people like me and people like OP/Johndallas. Some try and do the right thing no matter what, others try and get what they can for free now matter what.

14. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

I received the phone broken when I bought it on eBay and decided to test my luck. It wasn't one I personally damaged. The rep checked for water damage and definitely saw it, but I mean I didn't tell him I was trying to get a free replacement. He just let me have it. Honestly, in that case, I'm not going to tell him "hey, I should be paying for this."

I just think for something like this, it's not that big of a deal, but I do get where you're coming from. I'm not trying to shut you down at all. Yeah, OP could pull out $29 and get a new pair, but I mean if you can get it for free, and it'll be refurbished by them anyways to resell.. it's not too morally ambiguous, in my humble opinion.

15. AFDoc macrumors 68030

So when DOES it become a big deal? $50, $100, maybe $1000? It's not about monetary value, it's about right and wrong and what your personal integrity is worth. I'm not saying I always do the right thing but I sure try. When I damage something my first thought isn't how I can defraud a company to have somthing I jacked up replaced. I know this is going to become a poo storm with probably 99% of the people falling on the side of the OP and those that think it's ok to defraud apple (because they're a huge company with billions.... but does that really matter? To me it does.)

16. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Yeah, I get what you mean. It's all in principle! In that though, it's just not always possible to be completely ethical in everything you do. Are you one of those people who buy all their music? Because that could be viewed in this same light.

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

No matter how much they cost, those costs are passed on to the rest of us.

18. Legacy Wealth macrumors member

You guys are hilarious the earbuds cost 50 cents to make apple .... Go get your earphones bro!!! Apple won't go out of business trust me!!!

19. walie macrumors 6502a

Because they have no problem selling them for $30

20. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Actually, I am "one of those people who buy all their music." :) Striving to do the right thing is what builds strength of character. The value is in the trying.

"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it."
    - Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr.

21. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

Just go change the headphones mistakes happen. Tell them you washed them and they will probably change them for free anyways. If you don't want to bother just say they stopped working. If the price goes up by 50 cents I'm sure these other people will blame you. Not likely. But hey they all said they don't care about paying for crappy headphones so stick it to them :D

22. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

I mean the inherent problem with this scenario is not all people can afford to pay for all of their music. It's impractical for a lot of people. It would cost way too much.

23. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

Doesn't for me sorry. You must be the 1%. NOW SHOW ME YOUR TAX RETURNS! And prove you did not save hundreds on taxes. In legal ways of course. Haha :D JK I just had to throw that in there

24. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

That's true. I buy CDs and rip for my digital use; I trade with friends. Once I buy something it's mine to share if I want. I also loan/trade books (paper.)

25. macness macrumors 6502a

macness

Are you kidding me. lol. I just replaced a pair today. I usually replace mine 2-3 times a year. Same with the charger.