Apple Eccentricities

Discussion in 'macOS' started by twilightcircus, Dec 9, 2007.

1. twilightcircus macrumors newbie

Hello everyone--
    I have had a Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz SR for a little over a month now. I am operating 10.4.11 and have downloaded all the software updates except iTunes 7.5.

OS X is enjoyable to use, however, since I am still rather unfamiliar with it I felt the need to ask around to determine what is an acceptable level of Hard/Software eccentric behavior. I come from Windows XP.
    Some things I notice:

1) I seem to get the spinning Pinwheel fairly frequently and randomly, often when switching between the included iLife applications and in System Profiler for a bit when I scroll through the Software section (very lenghty in "Extensions"). Is the pinwheel the equivalent of a Windows hourglass?

2) I have had to Force Quit several times already. 1 in iPhoto (garbled graphics), About 5 times in Limewire (2X in conjunction with iTunes), and about as many in VLC. (which tends to glitch here and there). 1 time in DVD player.

3) The wi-fi icon in the finder bar has a delayed opening, the Dock has frozen bad twice, pieces the computer moves in Chess are "sticky" every so often with an occasional graphics twitch.

4) I've had 3 Hard freezes and one kernel panic.

5) Sometimes the display will Dim randomly one day, even though I have all the settings set to never dim at all.

6)The "m" key is not as sensitive as the rest.

7)When I have a DVD in the native (iLife) player viewed through a normal sized window and am working various other windows, it glitches and jerks when I scroll through the Dock.....

8) The optical drive while mostly very quiet, became tremendously loud, like a vibrating mower and the CD sounded like it detached from the center post and was skidding around. (I was burning from an iTunes playlist to a new blank CD. When the noise subsided, iTunes began to treat the disc as if I were Importing a new CD with no "available" track names online.....)

9) When i double click my Harddrive icon, certain applications won't show up (various Utilities) even though I just used them yesterday and the Finder shows them....

10) Safari gets a horizontal rippling line in it as I scroll up and down from time to time.

11) On the Quick Hardware test I get this error code:
    4SNS/1/40000000: TGOD
    I don't show any errors in the extended test, in which the message states I therefore will not need to contact AppleCare.

12) Other things: lag in key responses (volume/random), Frozen Drop down menus in the finder bar (random), a lurching crawl at times in Garage Band on the 2nd or 3rd track I'm laying (with no affect on the sound) which speeds up after 15 seconds or so..... an occasional ignored command (e.g. a photo not becoming "Tiled" in Desktop/Screensaver section, but then tomorrow it does....)

That's really long winded, apologies.....

I have reset the PRAM twice, Safebooted,and logged in as another user. I've repaired my disk permissions, deleted cookies like crazy, emptied the cache and have tried to decipher the various LOGS. I must have done the Hardware test 10 times, same deal, and I have checked around for insight online.

Is this Normal/Acceptable behavior??:confused:

Any insight would be greatly appreciated....

2. match311 macrumors member

I have the same laptop as you and when I was using Tiger (upgraded to Leopard back in Oct.) I experienced similar "lag" or delay with some programs, espcially VLC (I blame VLC not the laptop). I think it was still 10.4.10 back then but not sure how much that matters.

Are you running a lot of programs at once?

3. twilightcircus thread starter macrumors newbie

the most i'll have open would be itunes, DVD, safari with 2 windows, maybe chess and or pages.....

I did a clean isntall of OSX.4 and things havn't changed drastically, except my hardware test shows no error messages whatsoever.