apple education discount question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pophardpunk, Jan 3, 2009.

1. pophardpunk macrumors newbie

here's the deal. i promised my sister if she got into pharmacy school i would buy her a new laptop since her's is so old. (old sony vaio...barely works now)

i'm proud of her! she got in at colorado. anyways, is there a way to go to the apple store and she uses her discount but i'll pay for it?

2. joe22790 macrumors newbie

Call Apple

If you call Apple, they will do it on the phone. I was going to buy one for my daughter and they were willing to sell me one at her discount price.

1-800-MY-APPLE

3. joe22790 macrumors newbie

MacMall

You should look at MacMall.com. I am shopping now and they have some great deals and you dont pay Tax. I am considering this previous model blowout deal:

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop...+SuperDrive+-+GLOSSY-MacBook+Pro&dpno=7691239

Apple 15.4" MacBook Pro - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 2GB, 200GB, SuperDrive - GLOSSY with Parallels Desktop 4.0 and Microsoft Windows XP Professional pre-installed MB487LL/A

FREE Roxio - TOAST 9 BASIC

FREE Epson - STYLUS NX400 INK JET ALL-IN-ONE MULTIFUNCTION PRINTER - BLACK

For about $1530 from MacMall

4. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

From my experience, the Apple Retail Store is really lax with the student discount. I managed to buy two computers using the discount even though I was only entitled to one. Additionally, I was even discounts on the upgrades as well. That may come in handy down the road if you decide to buy one for yourself using your sister's student ID. ;)

And to answer your question, yes, you can purchase the computer using her student number. You are one very nice brother!

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

University students get around 17% off when they buy from the retail store and they get 75% off AppleCare too. Just show your student card to get the discounts.

6. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

I'm pretty sure you can do that. Just call Apple to make sure :)

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Not in the U.S where the poster is. I think it is $50 off the 2.0 Macbook and $100 off the 2.4 Macbook. I think it is $100 off the Pro's also. As far as Applecare it is a discount, but no where close to 75 percent off.

8. Emerica macrumors member

Plus when you factor in tax, the education discount is not even worth it when you can get them from a website that doesn't charge tax.