Apple Education discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by toxic-waste, Jun 12, 2007.

1. toxic-waste macrumors member

Hey, I'm a college student in Denmark and want to get a MBP.:D
    Someone my family knows in the US, have agreed to buy one and take it to Denmark with them. (so i can get it for a lot less then in Denmark)

Is it possible for them to purchase the MBP with the education discount.

I have a student ID which states that I'm "at a Danish college of higher education".

What do they have to do, to get the education discount?
    Is it enough if i scan the ID and mail them a copy?
    :confused:

THX

2. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

If they buy it online, it's simply a matter of selecting a school. No ID required.

3. Klisk macrumors member

What if your school isn't on the list? Can you select a different school so you still get the discount? :confused:

4. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

yes it is possible to do so as they are a parent or guardian, which apple permits in its terms and conditions. as to being from denmark, i don't think it's an issue, but your school might need to participate. but honestly its such a minor thing, just have them get it for you.

5. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

yes you physically could, but its obviously not on the list for a reason so.... that said, this is not a major spy operation here, apple is making money and plenty of it.

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

So I'm curious...what's to stop me from going online and saying I'm a college student?

7. toxic-waste thread starter macrumors member

Since its a danish college its not on the list. Do the have to go to a apple sotre then???

8. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Nothing, except that they do random checks of credentials for education store orders. You might get busted, and might not. If you go to a brick and morder Apple store itself, they always ask for a student ID, though, and have to match it against the schools listed on the website.

9. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Of course my neighbor has a current student activity card, so if I put the order in his name, it probably wouldn't matter. But then, when I register the machine in my name, maybe that would throw up a red flag...

Edit: Before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not actually serious about doing this...just wondering what kind of checks Apple has in place to prevent it.