Apple education discounts question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gianpan, Jan 28, 2009.

1. gianpan macrumors member

Hello,

To be able to take advantage of Apple's educational discounts I must live in the country from which I am buying my mac?

Suppose that I buy it from UK do I have to be a student or a teacher in the UK or it will work for any country in the EU?

2. schizoidwoman macrumors regular

On top of a steep hill in West Yorkshire.
    I was just on Apple chat asking about a software purchase and I asked them about this on your behalf. They confirmed that it has to be a UK institution; I have appended the the chat window despite my PC here at work playing terrible mindgames with me!

Attached Files:

3. gianpan thread starter macrumors member

Hey thanks a lot for asking that for me.

Shame :(

So does anyone know how can I get a transfer from my current university to a university in the UK :D:p

4. windstarfy macrumors member

windstarfy

Get the ADC Student. You can use this discount in another country's Apple store even if it's different from where you bought the ADC Student membership.

5. schizoidwoman macrumors regular

On top of a steep hill in West Yorkshire.
    That's really useful info, thanks!

We have a few people on our undergrad courses who return to their home countries after graduating and often take postgrad qualifications there. Since they are regular visitors to the UK and can't get the discount in their home countries, I know they'll find this really interesting.

So thanks again.

6. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

I'm taking school at USC this summer and I live in Canada.

I was given 2 options:

Buy the computer with a student discount in the US - with a US based credit card and address (which I don't have) once I'm down there

or

Go to an Apple Retail Store with my acceptance letter in Canada - and see if they'd honour the discount here (I phoned - they said they would).

7. windstarfy macrumors member

windstarfy

That too but you can also take advantage of foreign currencies etc in order to save you a little bit more money. For example I got the higher end 2.53Ghz Macbook Pro in HK with my ADC discount when comparing to New Zealand's store, it was cheaper even cheaper than the 2.4Ghz one :eek: , even though I live in New Zealand. I was on vacation in China so got a relative to pass it over from Hong Kong while I was there. A little complicated and a few emails were sent regarding activating my membership, but I believe it paid off considering the same model in NZ is about 1200NZD more expensive

I said too much. :p