Apple Education pricing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by charlieroberts, May 23, 2016.

1. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Hello, I recently helped a friend buy an iPad Pro, and since he is starting graduate school in Aug, I figured I could get him education discount.
    Turns out, the iPad is only 20 USD cheaper when bought from the edu store. So I checked other products and the discount appears to have been slashed.

Was there an announcement, or did apple just stop giving edu discounts? It has been a while since I checked out the education site so I could be very mistaken, so if anyone has some info on this, that'd be awesome.

2. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I don't recall Apple ever offering much of an EDU discount for iPads... they still give $100/$200 on computers (depending on the model)... but $20 on an iPad seems about right for what I remember.

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Their edu discounts are hardly worth the bother. Even if you are buying directly from, and for a school.

4. 960design macrumors 68000

Yep, sounds right. $20US savings for a single iPad, $25US/ea for 10 pack

5. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple cut back severly on the edu discounts a few years ago. I think some schools may have better discounts, but the generic ones that I see are kind of paltry.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

When I go to our state bid list to make a purchase, we're redirected right to the general Apple for Education site. Nobody gets special prices.

Even the schools in Tim Cook's home town have switched back to Chromebooks.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

In the past (not distant mind you), I've seen some college book stores have some nice discounts that appear to be better then the Apple EDU page.

I work for an organization that qualifies for EDU pricing, but I'm also directed to the generic apple edu page.

9. charlieroberts thread starter macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Thanks a lot guys. :)

This is so sad, education pricing was a very nice gesture from Apple to students.

10. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

11. cbdilger macrumors newbie

If the university has an Apple store, check with them: you may get a discount on AppleCare as well as on the product itself.

12. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

You can get the EDU discount on AppleCare by buying it direct from Apple. Get the best deal on your Mac or iPad, then call Apple for the discounted AppleCare. #beentheredonethat