Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple, talk show host Ellen DeGeneres, and former first lady Michelle Obama have teamed up to donate Macs and iPads to Randle Highlands Elementary School in Washington, D.C., a school with a high percentage of low-income students.

apple-ellen-michelle-obama-donate-macs-ipads-to-school-800x424.jpg

Apple's donation includes iMacs for the school, a MacBook Air for each teacher, and an iPad for each student. The school is also receiving a $100,000 cash donation and a new basketball court from Ellen.

"Every child deserves the opportunity to create something that can change the world," said Apple CEO Tim Cook.

The donation was part of day one of Ellen's "Greatest Night of Giveaways," which will continue to air on NBC for the next two nights.

Article Link: Apple, Ellen, and Michelle Obama Team Up to Donate Macs and iPads to Washington D.C. Elementary School

Reactions: Morod

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
If this donation had occurred to my highschool, which was part of the "High-tech Magnet" program in my district, it would have been world shattering. Despite the fancy program name, we were learning on 386s through early Pentium Is, our Macs ranged from Classic IIs to G3s (which were reserved for the graphic design classes).

Kudos to everyone involved... maybe make it happen to more schools. Though it's a shame that it's individual celebrities and corporations have to step up to fill the gaps left by our ruinous education system.

Reactions: orbital~debris

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
This is a nice thing they're doing.

Waiting to see if the complaining crowd somehow finds a way to paint this as a bad thing. And sad that I've come to expect that here.

Stop complaining about complainers! It sounds like you should stop visiting this forum section

It is nice that they are doing this. There should be more of this, and it doesn’t necessarily have to be with Apple products

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
This is a nice thing they're doing.

Waiting to see if the complaining crowd somehow finds a way to paint this as a bad thing. And sad that I've come to expect that here.
Sounds good, but public schools shouldn't rely on private donations. It's a band-aid, not a fix.

I work in IT for a public school district. In 5 minutes of light thought, I see 3 issues with this: do they have the wireless & internet infrastructure to support this influx of technology?

Second, what's the replacement cycle for the Macs & iPads? Is there room in the school's/district's budget to replace them when they get old? Or will the students & staff have to use the iPads until the iPads die, and hope that some celebrity/company will buy them new ones?

Also, who provides the training, IT management, etc.?

Like I said, this is 5 minutes of light thought. Who knows what other problems will arise?
[automerge]1576074155[/automerge]
Do you have to post a comment like this on every charity article?

I don't; I think that's it's a nice gesture. However, they only talk about the student/community facing aspect about it. I have to wonder if the behind-the-scenes infrastructure is supported, and how sustainable this is.

Last edited:

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I work in IT for a public school district. In 5 minutes of light thought, I see 3 issues with this: do they have the wireless & internet infrastructure to support this influx of technology?

Second, what's the replacement cycle for the Macs & iPads? Is there room in the school's/district's budget to replace them when they get old? Or will the students & staff have to use the iPads until the iPads die, and hope that some celebrity/company will buy them new ones?

Also, who provides the training, IT management, etc.?

Like I said, this is 5 minutes of light thought. Who knows what other problems will arise?
[automerge]1576074155[/automerge]

I don't; I think that's it's a nice gesture. However, they only talk about the student/community facing aspect about it. I have to wonder if the behind-the-scenes infrastructure is supported, and how sustainable this is.

No worries. If internet isn’t available (doubtful) with sufficient bandwidth, Ellen’s $100,000 cash donation will certainly help address that.

I’m happy there are are people and organizations that step up. I recognize there are many who focus on the what could go wrong instead of the potential benefits and making it work. Good on those that aren’t stuck and move forward.

Reactions: CarlJ and Kengineer

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Stop complaining about people complaining about the complainers.
Stop complaining about people complaining about people complaining about the complainers. Clearly complaints concerning the complaining of complainers will cause a copious cacophony of complainers to complain.

• Haha
Reactions: ipponrg

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Have you considered working with Wounded Warriors, Tim?

Write him a letter and ask. And state why Apple should if it’s the case they don’t. I suspect you’ll get a reply.
[automerge]1576081120[/automerge]
They could donate fire tablets, it would cost them much less.

As Apple manufactures iPads, I can’t see the company purchasing Fire tablets to donate.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlJ

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Macrumors should make new rules, negative posts should be deleted in such positive articles as these.
Or just don't allow any comments in these articles.

It's such a good thing to donate, whether it is from celebrities, big concerns or ('normal') people.
The article and video made me smile/happy, don't spoil it. (each and every time)

• Love
Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Wouldn't something simpler like providing 3 healthy meals a day go much farther to helping low-income elementary school students? An iPad isn't going to help them learn when the reason they are underperforming academically is because of things happening outside of school connected to their poverty.

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014
They should branch this out to private schools as well there are low income families that attend these schools as well.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
No worries. If internet isn’t available (doubtful) with sufficient bandwidth, Ellen’s $100,000 cash donation will certainly help address that.

True, however, I worry about the recurring costs of this. Where I am, computers & iPads have a usefulness of maybe 3-5 years, so the district will have to replace them. Wireless access points have a slightly longer replacement cycle. You'll have to add in the cost of internet service as well. Add in the cost of repair & maintenance, including any IT staff that might get hired. Ellen's one time donation, while generous, only goes so far.

Reactions: Breezygirl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.