Apple Email reception very spotty

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Farley, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Farley macrumors member

A new (about 10 days) and serious problem has arisen. I am sent mail and Apple does not alert me nor show it. How do I know? Becuase if I open AOL and look at my mail on that browser (which I don't prefer) it does show the mail that is not shown on Apple. Not all mail is missing on Apple, but enough to cause me problems. It is very inconsistent which makes it even more serious.

I've been using AOL address for many years without this kind of problem.

Is anyone out there experiencing the same thing?

Missing mail is not good.

Thanks.

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I feel like there may be a language barrier here, but can you be more specific about the Apple device that is experiencing the issue?

Do you have push turned on for that account? Is it even set up on the device? If it isn't push, do you have a time set for it to grab the mail? Etc...

3. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

4. Farley thread starter macrumors member

Missing email

First the easier answer: I checked. It's never in junk or spam mail. Now the language barrier problem. That's due to my ignorance about computers etc. I use - preferably - the Mac email program (the one with the little postage stamp on it). Mail will show up on my aol email account but not on the mac email program.
    I hope this explains it better. I don't think it's anything to do with my computer since it's irregular - most mail arrives in mac email but some doesn't and it's the "some" that worries me. And it's not the sender either since some from the same senders arrive in mac email and some doesn't but does show up on the email account.

5. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

If you are using Lion, Lion has issues with Mail. I find that if I close mail a few times a day it updates with old emails I never got.

6. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

You could also try pushing the little envelope in the corner to have Mail (thats the Mac email program) search for new mail.

7. Farley thread starter macrumors member

apple mail bad

The problem which seemed to go away had retuned with a vengence. Now I don't get mail and often mail that I do get and is listed will suddenly disappear.

Despite having Leopard I have used the above method (clsoing and opening mail) with some success.

Why is this happening?

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

AOL mail servers are rubbish.....

Please use a proper email provider then you won't have any problems....

I used to have an AOL mail address and had the same problems you are having.

It is not a fault or problem with Apple Mail it just seems to take AOL mail servers days to forward the messages properly - if they ever arrived.

I thought most people had ditched AOL a long time ago.

9. Missy722 macrumors newbie

Problems with Apple E-mail application

I"m also having the same problem - it started within the last month or so. E- mails appear, then disappears before they've been open. The e-mails don't show up as they come in, I have to quit the mail application and open it again in order for any new e-mails to appear. Some have been there for hours and haven't shown up in my e-mail list.

It's frustrating to say the least, but mostly annoying as I can't respond to them in a timely manner.

10. Farley thread starter macrumors member

Is there an answer?

It seems to be getting worse and yet not consistent. I use the AOL mail application to see if there is any mail that Mac mail is missing and sure enough there are. Then I have to close Mac mail and reopen it get it. It can't just be us that is having this problem. Perhaps it's listed somewhere else on MacRumors.

11. abouna macrumors newbie

I have been having the same problem with my wife's account. Mine works fine. The get mail feature doesn't solve the problem, however, closing and opening Mail seems to. Also, interesting enough, the "missing" mail on my computer always shows up on my iPhone.

12. Farley thread starter macrumors member

so what can be done?

That makes about 3 or 4 people having the same problem - who have found this forum and posted their own situation of UNDELIVERED mail. Bet there are more. I'm still having the problem and it's been months with no solution in sight.

13. jerzgirl macrumors newbie

I have been having the same problem for several months, and it is extremely frustrating. Some of my AOL mail never appears in my mailbox, yet it appears on my iPhone or iPad. Sometimes, an email will be there one minute, and then suddenly disappear into thin air. (it will not be in the trash or anywhere else). I have called Apple several times, and none of their suggestions have solved the problem. Closing out the mail, and opening it again does not solve it for me.

My sister recently told me that she has been experiencing the same issues as well.

Switching email providers is not a viable solution for me at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

14. Farley thread starter macrumors member

Contacting Apple?

Here we have an unknown number of Mac users who are beset with the same problem, i.e., AOL mail undelivered and/or disappearing on Mac mail program - yet appearing on other mail progams. Isn't there some way we can get the attention of Apple/Mac to solve this problem which MUST have other victims?

15. wolfriver macrumors newbie

Has anyone had any luck with this?
    Like others in this topic, my new mail briefly appears then disappears immediately.
    It is not anywhere, not even in gmail.com (POP gmail account) OS10.6

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

POP is your clue. One of your mail clients is pulling mail off of the POP server. You need to configure that client to leave mail on the server.