Apple employee advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carjakester, Aug 11, 2014.

1. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I was at my local apple store with my girlfriend today and I overheard an Apple employee telling someone to unplug their macbook anytime it reached 100% in order to preserve the battery in the long run.

I know there are way too many ways people go about trying to protect battery life, but unplugging every time the battery reaches 100%? Ridiculous.

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

It's the simplest answer and "rule of thumb" to give the average layperson that would enter an Apple Store and ask such questions. The Apple Employee most likely told them that just to keep things simple for the customer, rather than go though a bunch of technical mumbo-jumbo that they most likely would not have understood, or cared to know about in the first place.

3. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

How about, "You can leave it plugged in 24/7/365/lifeofcomputer, it's advanced and knows not to blow up your battery"??

Technical mumbo jumbo?? Sounds more like an uninformed representative.

4. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

OR the right way...

You can leave it plugged in...BUT, once a month, unplug it, and use the battery to maintain it. Apple has a read up on this.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its actually better for the battery to

See the battery FAQ by GGJstudios

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Best thing is to follow the official info from Apple at this link and ignore what anyone else says. :D

Apple recently updated this information so you might want to click through all the links on that page.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

7. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

My point was, that you think apples own employees would know the correct information.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah.... seems pretty common they don't though doesn't it. :eek:

9. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Can't expect perfection from human beings. The sooner that people realize that, I believe the happier everyone will be in general. Now, take me to your leader, because I come in peace.

10. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

The truth is, unfortunately, that a lot of the 'tech' staff working in retail stores don't really have a clue what they're talking about, only a sufficient amount of knowledge to sound smart enough to the lay person.

11. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

"Always unplug the machine at 100%" is the worst battery advice you could ever give someone aside from "stab it with a knife then light it on fire". There was just a thread on here where the OP wondered if it was normal to have over 500 cycles after owning the machine for just a few months. He'd been given this exact piece of advice and always unplugged the machine before using it.

Apparently Apple's finally updated their battery info. They used to recommend 1 cycle per month, but this was probably helping create the myth of more cycles = healthier battery, which is literally (I mean it this time) the opposite of the truth.

The way the charging system works (allows a small amount of drain, then small trickle charge) I believe you'd actually end up getting a cycle a month even if you never unplugged the machine. If that's even a real thing and not just recommended for calibration.

"The capacity of any type of battery will diminish after a certain amount of recharging. With lithium-ion batteries, the capacity diminishes slightly with each complete charge cycle."

^^^ Apple should make this page mandatory reading for all in-store and support employees.

12. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

There is so much information about battery care and such that pretty much if someone tells you its fine to leave the battery plugged in all the time or unplug it when it reaches 100% they are somewhat correct. Best thing to do is just use the machine :cool: