Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I been reading stories about this sad situation. I feel really bad for the family of the Apple Engineer.

What is interesting about the situation is that the Apple employee previously reported to Tesla that the Autopilot system would abruptly swerve towards the barrier multiple times during his commute, but the dealership was unable to replicate the situation.

Another interesting part was this from the NTSB:
NTSB said:
The Tesla's collision avoidance system was "not designed to detect the crash [barrier]"

Not sure how that sits with Elon Musk's promise of a "Truly Self-Driving Tesla" by the end of this year if this poor guy's Tesla couldn't detect a crash barrier.

I have a feeling that the self driving Tesla will not happen by this December.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I been reading stories about this sad situation. I feel really bad for the family of the Apple Engineer.

What is interesting about the situation is that the Apple employee previously reported to Tesla that the Autopilot system would abruptly swerve towards the barrier multiple times during his commute, but the dealership was unable to replicate the situation.

Another interesting part was this from the NTSB:

Probably in much the same way as airbags don't always deploy in all crashes.

This guy should have had his hands on the wheel, and ready.. Seemed more like he trusted the Auto-piliot 100% ... Never gave a care in the world.. To say "It's Tesla's fault" would be going too far.. You can't blame a company if the user decided to ignore everything.

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Probably in much the same way as airbags don't always deploy in all crashes.

This guy should have had his hands on the wheel, and ready.. Seemed more like he trusted the Auto-piliot 100% ... Never gave a care in the world.. To say "It's Tesla's fault" would be going too far.. You can't blame a company if the user decided to ignore everything.
Looks like a lot at fault according to article

1. User for not paying attention.
2. Tesla for system not detecting barrier and for swerving into that area in the first place. And for not having better driver attention detection.
3. Apple for not having more safeguards on devices to disable things when it detects driving.
4. Highway workers for not fixing the cushion zone in front of the barrier recently damaged in an accident.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.