Apple Employee Hack

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleBecks, Nov 21, 2007.

1. AppleBecks macrumors newbie

I've been a visitor to MacRumors since about April but this is my first post. So hello, I am a "Newb." I took my phone in today because the battery life was pretty poor and got another refurbished unit. This is my 3rd phone. The one I picked up today has much better color then the previous one so I'm happier then I was after I received the previous unit which had a somewhat "bleached out" look to it.
    I am sure this is common but I just thought it was kind of ironic. As I was getting my phone replaced, the Genius who has been at the store for quite some time was checking his iPhone for whatever while he was swapping mine. I looked at his screen and the background was blue and the apps were different. I made a comment about it and he kind of acted sheepish about it. He was surprised I saw it because he normally is very careful not to let people see that he hacked his phone. I just thought it was funny because if Apple's own employees are hacking their phones to increase userability, wouldnt they expect the rest of us to?

2. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

welcome to the forums, glad you decided to join us :)

yes, and that's why we do hack our phones :)

3. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

that sure is ironic:)

but for a genius it's probably a piece of cake to hack the iphone:D

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Maybe it's lucky for that employee that you didn't say which store you were in. He might get in trouble with the boss!

5. chadrob30 macrumors 6502

chadrob30

6. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

7. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Yeh, Steve must have got very angry.....

8. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

I think most employers would.

9. colonelbutt macrumors regular

colonelbutt

there is no doubt that not letting 3rd parties write software for iPhone is a mistake.
    lets hope the SDK corrects all of that.

saying that, the target market for Iphone (inc. me) quite likes the fact that it just works and is easy to use. I hacked my HTC Touch, Tempest, Universal, etc. to death. but ultimately, looking back on it, what I enjoyed most was the hacking.

i actually never had a satisfactory personal communication device until now ;->

10. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

You should have taken a photo of the 'Genius' and sent it to Steve Jobs asking:

'Why him allowed and not us?'

Dont take that pic with the iphone camera now or Steve will never make out his blurry wee face. :D

11. davidtmarquez macrumors member

12. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Sort of makes sense to me.

He probably knows the hardware and the potential conflicts with voiding warranties better than anyone.

If he makes any mistakes who is in a better position to get a replacement than someone who works there?

Not to mention that knowing how to deal with hacks probably helps him deal with the people who come in and have problems with their phones.

So sure, there is a level of irony there, but it's also fairly practical, even if it's accidental.

13. AppleBecks thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I would have liked to get a pic of his phone but I only saw it for a nano-second (Ha!). Just enough to realize it was hacked. he was totally taken off guard and tried denying it at first. I asked him to show me again but he told me he wasnt allowed to do that. (I'm guessing he probably isnt allowed to hack his phone either). I told him what the previous post said... Who better to do it than someone who knows the phone inside and out, and is in great position to get a replacement.