Apple employee helps catch thief

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by confucious626, Oct 4, 2007.

1. confucious626 macrumors newbie

Article Link

Apple employee helps catch thief

SAN DIMAS - A man is in police custody today after he tried to register a stolen laptop under his name at the Apple store in Pasadena.

Glendale resident Diesel Cisneros, 25, is being charged with receiving stolen property, said San Dimas Sheriff's Sgt. Dave Barker.

San Dimas sheriff's received a report of a vehicle that was broken into at the Via Verde Country Club in San Dimas on Tuesday. An Apple computer and a wrist watch were stolen from the vehicle between 1 and 5:30 p.m., Barker said.

The victim received a call the next day by an Apple employee, telling her that Cisneros made an appointment for 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday to change the passwords on the computer.

The victim then told the employee that her computer was stolen just one day before, and then contacted the police.

"We went out to the Apple store and arrested him," Barker said. "He was also wearing the wrist watch."

2. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Not exactly on the level of Darwin-Award worthy, but man is that guy dumb. He should be nicknamed "Dum Dum Diesel". :p

3. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

4. Keebler macrumors 68030

well, they say that 98% of criminals are idiots and this guy proves it.

also proves it's good to have a p/wrd on your system. i wonder if the owner had the software the takes intermittent photos and emails them (forget the name). if i ever get a lappie, i'll have that s/w in a heartbeat :)

Cheers,
    Keebler

5. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

Woah...

San Dimas?

EXCELLENT!
    [air guitar solo]

6. mac-er macrumors 65816

And, honestly, most victims, too. Why would you leave your computer and watch out where someone would take it?

Crime is all about opportunity.

Lock it in the trunk people!

7. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

This is good news. Would be cool if Apple could somehow automate this system so that you could report your laptop stolen; when the thief uses it on the internet, the device locks and is inoperable by the thief.

8. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

good news, lucky that the guy was an idiot. Its not exactly rocket science to reset the password.

9. maestrocasa macrumors regular

does anyone know the name of that software? sounds pretty cool! (especially if it could somehow be coupled with a GPS locator that tagged the photos!)

I took a page from another returned, stolen laptop story, and my password hint is "reward if found, call xxx-xxx-xxxx" at least that way if someone finds it, they can find me.

10. TheBusDriver macrumors 6502

11. apb3 macrumors regular

apb3

San Dimas High School football rules!!

I usually end presentations and briefings w/ that...

12. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

It is called Undercover. It does a lot more than just send pictures, too.

No, iAlert just sends you one picture if it detects movement. Undercover will continually check a database to see if your computer is stolen (every time it is online). If it is, it sends its IP address and a picture every few minutes to help the police track it down. Read more at the linked site.

Undercover kind of does this as a last resort.

13. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I was thinking or WILDE STALLIONS DUDE ;)

14. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

You don't want the device to lock and become inoperable, being operable is what allowed the thief to be caught so easily. What you want is all of your files to be locked with an encrypted code. That way the thief can be caught but you files cannot be seen.