Apple Employee Tests Positive for Coronavirus in Ireland

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today confirmed that an employee has tested positive for the COVID-19 coronavirus at its campus in Cork, Ireland. In a statement issued to Independent.ie, Apple said the individual has gone into and remains in self-isolation.

Apple employees working at its Cork campus in 2017

As a precaution, Apple has asked some of its employees to stay at home while it assesses the situation in accordance with guidance from health authorities:
One of our employees in Cork has been confirmed to have Covid-19.

We are closely coordinating with the local health authorities who feel the risk to others is low, and the individual remains in self-isolation.

As a precaution, we have asked some of our team members to stay at home while we work with the Health and Safety Executive to assess the situation. We are continuing to regularly deep clean all our offices and stores and will take all necessary precautions in accordance with guidance from health authorities.
To our best knowledge, this is the first confirmed case of an Apple employee testing positive for COVID-19 in any country.

Apple has reportedly encouraged its employees in Cupertino and many other locations to work from home this week if possible. Another report this week claimed that Apple has offered its retail employees and some other hourly workers unlimited sick leave if they experience COVID-19 symptoms, with no doctor's note required.

Apple like many companies is taking various other precautions in relation to the COVID-19 outbreak, including suspending "Today at Apple" sessions in the San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle, Italy, China, and select other locations. It is also looking like an inevitability that Apple will cancel WWDC 2020 as a physical event, with other large developer conferences like Google I/O and Facebook F8 having already been canceled.

Article Link: Apple Employee Tests Positive for Coronavirus in Ireland

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
The scariest part of this virus is that you can show no symptoms for 5 days, but still be contagious during that period. When you start having symptoms and treat it, it’s almost pointless to quarantine because you’ve exposed so many people already.
No, it isn't pointless. A person without symptoms is going to be less infectious, because there is less of the virus in their system, therefore less to spread to others, and without symptoms like coughing, they are les likely to spread what they do have into the air or cough it up into their hands.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
That office layout is a nightmare. Give me a door I can close.
Exactly what I was thinking. I share an office with up to 6 other people and it drives me nuts when everyone is there. It’s basically impossible to focus on whatever I’m trying to do because it’s like a damn meeting place. If I could use headphones, sure that might not be an issue, but I’m only ever in the office for short periods of time. This open work area is a fad that I think companies will move away from when they realize how much time is wasted.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Not really a fad. It's the cost of property.

It is cheaper to pack buildings to capacity.
It doesn’t really do that though. In any photo I’ve seen of open concept there is a lot more wasted open space than a cubicle farm (which has it’s own issues admittedly). I’m not advocating that everyone have their own office with a door. That’s just not financially feasible. That I agree with. But some separation is needed for productivity.

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
How many have the flu i wonder?

little perspective and rationality please 🙏
You don't have to wonder. In the most recent weekly figures 93 cases of influenza were clinically confirmed in Ireland. So out of a population of 4.83 million, with 6000 of them working in Cork we can calculate that just less than one eighth of an employee was confirmed to have flu within that week.;)

Reactions: CarlJ

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
You don't have to wonder. In the most recent weekly figures 93 cases of influenza were clinically confirmed in Ireland. So out of a population of 4.83 million, with 6000 of them working in Cork we can calculate that just less than one eighth of an employee was confirmed to have flu within that week.;)
"Was confirmed" is the important part of that post. Tons of people get the flu without going to the doctor. I have asthma and the only time I'd see a doctor about the flu is if that kicked up at some point and even then I've had exactly 1 flu test in my life.

Seanm87

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
Exactly what I was thinking. I share an office with up to 6 other people and it drives me nuts when everyone is there. It’s basically impossible to focus on whatever I’m trying to do because it’s like a damn meeting place. If I could use headphones, sure that might not be an issue, but I’m only ever in the office for short periods of time. This open work area is a fad that I think companies will move away from when they realize how much time is wasted.
I work in an open office with about 300 people and it doesn’t stop me from being productive at all.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Some companies are now going with a sort of mixed layout, an open space (sort of like a project hot-desk) for when a group need to work together and office would be too isolating; and private offices for when someone needs to work alone and quietly for a while.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

recoil80

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2014
That office layout is a nightmare. Give me a door I can close.
I don't have a private office at work, but I share the open space with 5 people.
Last year I turned down a job offer after I saw the open space, 40 people in the same room. It was a mix of developers and tech support people, whose job is talking to the phone all day long. I didn't feel like wearing noise cancellation headphones the entire day, what's the point in coming to the office if you need to isolate yourself in order to get something done?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.