Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
They could've signed out of iCloud and deleted the information on the phone. Or just password protect the drive. I've had my phone repaired for hardware problems before and was not required to remove the password.

Or you know, change it and change it back afterwards.

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
Very immature behaviour I'm sure these bad employees wouldn't have liked it if it was done to them. Next time one goes to the Apple Store needs to empty the phone and then recover the info with iCloud.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Very immature behaviour I'm sure these bad employees wouldn't have liked it if it was done to them. Next time one goes to the Apple Store needs to empty the phone and then recover the info with iCloud.
That's assuming that you actually can delete the phone's content when the handset is defective. Similarly, what about defective and unresponsive HDDs in your iMac, or TimeCapsules with all your Data and keychain info on it, that you have to leave at the Apple Store when exchanged under warranty?

I've twice emailed Tim my concerns about this, but have yet to receive a reply.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Was never a fan of their policy of taking the phones back there for repair. How can apple be sure that employee are not looking through my emails?

I wipe my phone before I hand it over. Use iCloud to restore.

Otherwise HIPAA...
[doublepost=1476319754][/doublepost]
That's assuming that you actually can delete the phone's content when the handset is defective. Similarly, what about defective and unresponsive HDDs in your iMac, or TimeCapsules with all your Data and keychain info on it, that you have to leave at the Apple Store when exchanged under warranty?

True. I pay to keep the drive if it's a computer.

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014

You're completely right and for those who cannot delete their stuff they have to trust Apple employees that they will not look into their private information, for now that trust is compromised and eroded with employees behaving like they're working in a sex shop.

p.s. try emailing Phil Schiller

Reactions: Arran

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
So people are handing Apple employees a device with pictures that they don't want seen, but then also give a password? Folks something is way wrong. First rule never give a password out - no exception. Second if Apple has a policy of asking for password - class action lawsuit here we come.

To fire these guys seems like the right thing to do, but this may not end their. Being asked to give a full access to private data seems problematic and full of legal hot water for Apple.

Speedy Dingo

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
Australia
I actually work near where this Apple Store is and when I walked past it today, it has security guards at the side of the entrance. Maybe to control media if they want to snoop employees with questions?

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
The best option is to wipe ones data off any iPhone iPad or Apple computer prior to turning it over into someone else's hands for any type of troubleshooting, repairs and the like. You wouldn't hand over a wallet full of cash, why hand over your personal data...

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Apple store employee always look at me funny when I don't want to provide them with the password (yes, they DO ask) and when I don't want to login to my iMac or such. They ask why, but at the same time say "We respect your choice, it is okay", but I still get the look. And I simply say: It's a personal computer, not a 'personal, until you want access to it'. I come there for a hardware failure, they can use their own drives, or use the guest account. I just don't trust other people with my content. It's personal, plain and simple. And news articles like these, make me not regret my choices.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Don't take your devices into a store with the expectation your data will remain private. Just ask Gary Glitter.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
How is this discussion political in nature?

It's workplace misconduct. Plain and simple. Nothing remotely political about that.

C'mon MacRumors!
It isn't political in nature. It was deemed, for whatever reason, likely to attract heated discussion. The MacRumors standard practice is to redirect comments for such posts to a section of the forums called "Politics, Religion, Social Issues", where one needs to have made at least 100 posts (if I recall correctly) previously in order to participate. This is done to try to avoid drive-by posting by brand new accounts, sock-puppet accounts, etc., to try to maintain some level of decorum. Thus, the controlling factor isn't politics, but rather an attempt to set a minimum bar to keep the conversation a bit more reasonable - it's just that the tool at hand has the word "politics" in its name.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
Tinder just released a statement that they don't encourage scoring based on pictures, but have blocked geo-switching to Brisbane for their premium service users anyway, as matter of precaution.

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Glad Apple is taking steps to deal with this. Having been in IT support for a couple of decades, I've been asked to recover data from unbeatable computers by family in friends more than once some of which have contained candid material. There is a difference between being privy to such material and actively duplicating it for ones own retention. Duplicating and rating the material in an employee group was going to be discovered at some point and the reputational damage both for the store itself and Apple in general has the potential to be huge.

As for wipe and clear before heading in for a repair - WAY too many people do not have any sort of backup (iCloud, OneDrive, Google Photos, computer sync) of their photos beyond a select one or two being posted on Facebook. Indeed the local press has the usual once or twice a month story of a tearful someone asking for their stolen phone to be returned as it has the last photos of a now passed relative on. I'd image some of the phones submitted for repair at Apple are this scenario or similar.

Reactions: mw360

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
So people are handing Apple employees a device with pictures that they don't want seen, but then also give a password? Folks something is way wrong. First rule never give a password out - no exception. Second if Apple has a policy of asking for password - class action lawsuit here we come.

To fire these guys seems like the right thing to do, but this may not end their. Being asked to give a full access to private data seems problematic and full of legal hot water for Apple.

I agree that getting fired from a job in retail isn't enough punishment for something like this, but your other statement feels a little like victim blaming. It really isn't clear from the article whether the stolen photos were explicit, they were just private, as photos generally are. Apple staff generally come across as trustworthy, and interactions in store can happen very fast. I wouldn't blame anyone for letting their defences down, especially when the person opposite is trying to help them. I've been taken completely off guard several times in Apple stores by how fast things can happen. I once went in with a phone I had damaged by dropping it. I got a free replacement so fast I felt like I was in a magic act. Same thing happened with an iPad I broke. It just vanished and suddenly I had a brand new one. I wasnt going to stand and argue about my privacy, I just wanted to bag it and run.

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
Why is this thread subject "political" ? Makes no sense to me. It should be open to everyone, securing your iPhone/Mac data before handing it to repair by AppleStore employees is an important issue , and we need to hear all approaches to the matter..

Last edited by a moderator:

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
If you actually listen to tape he specifically says the women would let him do anything. Which means there is certainly consent. But biased people hear what they want I suppose.

Not putting up a fight isn't the same as giving consent. You do know that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.