Apple envy on the cheap

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lord Egregious, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Lord Egregious macrumors member

I've had Apple envy for about 4 years now and I think it will drive me insane. I have always wanted an Apple computer but being in high school and starting college; I never had the money to get one. I've had an iPhone for over a year now and would love to get an Apple computer to try out OS X. I installed OS X on my netbook awhile ago but quickly realized that I needed the full experience to try it out.

I currently have a Dell Studio that is 2.3 Ghz Quad, 8 GB ram, and 1.5 TB of storage. I also have a Acer Aspire One netbook. I had a HP dv5t laptop that I grew to hate from its ridiculous heat issues to its terrible battery life. I don't need a laptop at the moment because I use my netbook if I need to in any classes but I really want to try out an Apple computer.

Anyone know of the cheapest way to get OS X but without compromising lots of computing power? I've been looking on craigslist for awhile but its usually really really old Apple computers or brand new ones that people are selling for retail prices.

2. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I'd say get a Mac Mini and upgrade the Ram and HDD when you get some extra cash. Or you could look for a 2nd hand 20" iMac for around the same price.

3. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

best buy offers no interest for 18 months on computers over $1000. I bought my mbp there about a month ago, since I think thats a pretty good deal. as long as you can pay it off w/in that time or they'll charge you interest from the first month you bought it.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I wouldn't buy something on credit now unless your financial future is very secure.

Look for used Mini from eBay or Craigslist, don't buy older than Core 2 Duo because they may ruin your experience.