Apple equivalents of Windows software?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by okieman, Aug 4, 2011.

1. okieman macrumors newbie

I started out using Macs and still think they're the best computers anywhere. But I ended up with a Windows machine at home because I needed compatibility with a job that is Windows only.

Now I'm trying to help my sister tweak her Mac, but all the best software I've found is Windows. Can someone suggest Apple equivalents to the following Windows products?

Auslogics Defragmenter - Awesome freeware tool beats the built-in Microsoft defragmenter on every level.

CCleaner - Always-reliable freeware tool for cleaning a hard drive: removes Temporary files, history, cookies, Autocomplete form history. Cleans Recycle Bin, Recent Documents, Temporary files and Log files. Simple interface.

ESET - Small-footprint antivirus tool from a company that came out of nowhere and shot down all the big names. No bugs, excellent interface. Costs about $35/year and worth every penny.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Malware scanner/blocker/cleaner. Free version has almost all of the options of the "pro" version which only costs $25. Flawless performance for years.

TreeSize Free - Freeware tool finds out what files are hogging all the space on your hard drive. Right-click on the drive icon and it generates detailed chart of files, folders, space used, etc. Excellent GUI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Someday when I have the bucks, I'll return to Apple world!

2. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

I don't think you'd have a need for the first four listed on a Mac..because they're awesome. :)

and IF you absolutely need something like TreeSize..can't you just use Activity Monitor?

3. okieman thread starter macrumors newbie

P.S. My sister's setup is:

Mac OS X 10.4.11
    Processor 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 1 GB 667 MHz DDR SDRAM

4. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

given any mac setup, my aforementioned opinion stills stands.

5. Jkilla, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

Jkilla macrumors newbie

site

this might blow your mind www.alternativeto.net

Also for CCleaner- I'm loving CleanMyMac, but it's not free but it does everything.

Tree Size - Disk Inventory X (Free)

6. angelwatt, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Auslogics Defragmenter
    Disk management is automatic so the need for de-fragmenting is negligible, and most users never defrag.

CCleaner
    There are automated scripts that the Mac runs which clears old logs and temp files. The recycle bin is easy to empty on your own. Every browser has a clear cache option. That said, I think there are some apps that address some of this, but they aren't coming to mind.

ESET
    ClamXAV, free. ESET does make a Mac version as well.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    There's not really any malware to detect. Apple has some signatures it updates periodically for the few trojans that exist for Mac, but overall, there's no malware to worry about.

TreeSize Free
    I like GrandPerspective. There's also OmniDiskSweeper.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

A search of the forums would show that CleanMyMac can result in an unbootable disk resulting from removing system files.

8. Jkilla macrumors newbie

OK, that sounds terrible. What do you recommend?

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Defrag = NO NEED
    CCleaner = NO NEED
    ESET Anti virus = NO NEED
    Malwarebytes Anti virus = NO NEED
    TreeSize = some mentioned on top

UNIX based Mac OS X does not need it.

It's not windows.

10. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

One more replacement for TreeSize

WhatSize

Not free though.

All the other stuff not needed. That's why I use Macs.

11. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

this!

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You really don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space. It will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Also, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of deleting files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.
    You don't need any antivirus software to protect Mac OS X from malware. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
    Use Disk Inventory X or Grand Perspective to see how space is being used on your drive.

If you're looking for software equivalents between Windows and Mac, this may help: http://alternativeto.net/software

13. okieman thread starter macrumors newbie

Does your first statement mean these functions are built into my sister's Mac OS?

As for your question, well, I don't know, since I've been so out of touch with Apple software for years. I'll Google Activity Monitor to find out what you're talking about!