Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Steve Jobs would have NEVER allowed that..
Good thing it was virtual. There would have been crickets in that theater. There was nothing innovative.
A personal trainer for $10 a month or $80 a year ?
They made small upgrades to the Apple Watch. I didn’t expect it to be worse then last years.. Another iPad ??‍♂️
Wow.. I’m telling ya.. Steve Jobs is turning over in his grave.

Jobs is dead. Let him be.

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
any keynote not centered around computers will suck. so most of them suck. why even have keynotes for phones and watches? the iPad barely squeaks by...

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
You just downplayed a major component of their business, processors, by saying "a better processor is great but where is the innovation." Apple is out innovating everyone in the cpu field (a large industry) and for you it still boils down to lacking innovation. Those hardware innovations lead to the software being more capable.
You’re incorrect. I very much respect their advancement in the CPU field and I want to see their CPU innovation in a MAC, Not another regurgitated iPad.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
It doesn’t matter, a pretty good chunk of folks on here upgrade every year.

(Are MR users wealthy on average? Hardcore Apple fans? Who knows.)
No opinion on MR users’ wealth, but Apple users as a whole are probably skilled at justifying purchases.

Reactions: AAPLGeek

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
You’re incorrect. I very much respect their advancement in the CPU field and I want to see their CPU innovation in a MAC, Not another regurgitated iPad.

I am not looking forward to their iPad CPU in my Mac. They chose wisely to put it in the macbook first. it barely passed for a computer when it was intel.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I am not looking forward to their iPad CPU in my Mac. They chose wisely to put it in the macbook first. it barely passed for a computer when it was intel.
What makes you so confidently say or believe that Apple doesn’t have a desktop class CPU in the works(or even ready) that can outperform current intel processors? We’re actually expecting a redesigned iMac in the next few months because the 21 inch iMac was NOT refreshed in 2020 (only the 27 inch version was) so Apple might just have something under its sleeve

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
What makes you so confidently say or believe that Apple doesn’t have a desktop class CPU in the works(or even ready) that can outperform current intel processors? We’re actually expecting a redesigned iMac in the next few months because the 21 inch iMac was NOT refreshed in 2020 (only the 27 inch version was) so Apple just have something under its sleeve
They do.

The likely scenario is that Apple has been running their custom silicon on Mac prototypes FOR YEARS in their labs. They are probably also running data center hardware with AS; the latter will never make it to market.

However, the low lying fruit is the MacBook/MacBook Air. This is the easiest jump from the A-series mobile device SoCs to a PC processor with a larger TDP.

Apple cannot release an AS Mac that is just as good as a comparable model from 12-24 months ago. It needs to be a substantial improvement.

My guess is that they reached this point in 2017 with the woefully underperforming fanless MacBook 2017. They probably had something in the lab that performed similarly with less power. As Johny Sroudji said, it's all about performance-per-watt. Three years ago Apple likely beat what Intel could bring to the table.

It's not like Tim, Jeff, Phil, Johny, and Craig came up with Apple Silicon over a couple of pitchers of beer last summer at BJ's.

Remember that iPhone wasn't originally a phone. It was a tablet PC by design, perhaps something like the failed Newton. Steve drove it into a smartphone. My guess is that the first seeds of Apple Silicon were planted back in the early-mid 2000s.

Last edited:

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
They do.

The likely scenario is that Apple has been running their custom silicon on Mac prototypes FOR YEARS in their labs. They are probably also running data center hardware with AS; the latter will never make it to market.

However, the low lying fruit is the MacBook/MacBook Air. This is the easiest jump from the A-series mobile device SoCs to a PC processor with a larger TDP.

Apple cannot release an AS Mac that is just as good as a comparable model from 12-24 months ago. It needs to be a substantial improvement.

My guess is that they reached this point in 2017 with the woefully underperforming fanless MacBook 2017. They probably had something in the lab that performed similarly with less power. As Johny Sroudji said, it's all about performance-per-watt. Three years ago Apple likely beat what Intel could bring to the table.

It's not like Tim, Jeff, Phil, Johny, and Craig came up with Apple Silicon over a couple of pitchers of beer last summer at BJ's.

Remember that iPhone wasn't originally a phone. It was a tablet PC by design, perhaps something like the failed Newton. Steve drove it into a smartphone. My guess is that the first seeds of Apple Silicon were planted back in the early-mid 2000s.
Do you think we should expect a redesigned iMac with AS in 1st quarter of 2021? Or maybe 4th quarter of 2020?
It seems extremely odd that the 21 inch iMac was not refreshed in 2020, it didn’t get a True Tone display, not even the T2 chip that it’s bigger brother, the 27 inch iMac got. Why didn’t apple upgrade the 21 inch iMac in 2020? Is it because people aren’t buying the smaller sized iMac? Or perhaps there’s another reason..

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
My guess is that the more powerful Macs (iMac, Mac Pro, maybe the 16" MacBook Pro) will all receive at least one more Intel refresh before moving onto Apple Silicon.

This is pure speculation on my part however Apple themselves said it was a two-year transition for the full Mac product family migration during the WWDC keynote. Admittedly, I do not follow the iMac product line closely like you do.

However the iMac has frequently used server-grade CPUs, not the standard desktop PC parts.

I find it highly unlikely that a high-end Mac will migrate to Apple Silicon before the end of the year. This gives Apple more time to refine and improve Apple Silicon to the point where it can really trounce similar Intel offerings.

Of course, only Apple knows how their desktop-destined parts stand vis-a-vis Intel's 11th generation.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Actually, my vasectomy was decidedly less energetic and hyped up than today's Apple presentation.

The actual procedure only took about fifteen minutes.

If your vasectomy was more exciting than today's Apple announcement, you picked the wrong urologist.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
My guess is that the more powerful Macs (iMac, Mac Pro, maybe the 16" MacBook Pro) will all receive at least one more Intel refresh before moving onto Apple Silicon.

This is pure speculation on my part however Apple themselves said it was a two-year transition for the full Mac product family migration during the WWDC keynote. Admittedly, I do not follow the iMac product line closely like you do.

However the iMac has frequently used server-grade CPUs, not the standard desktop PC parts.

I find it highly unlikely that a high-end Mac will migrate to Apple Silicon before the end of the year. This gives Apple more time to refine and improve Apple Silicon to the point where it can really trounce similar Intel offerings.

Of course, only Apple knows how their desktop-destined parts stand vis-a-vis Intel's 11th generation.
The unanswered question still remains though, Why wasn’t the 21 inch iMac refreshed at all in 2020? Unless an iMac refresh was imminent then it makes no sense whatsoever

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
We'll never know the answer.

>85% of Mac sales are notebook computers. Maybe Apple has been waiting for the right Intel CPU part to emerge (Intel is woefully behind their own roadmap) plus the right AMD GPU.

Perhaps Apple is waiting for AMD Big Navi to launch which will presumably knock down the prices of last year's RX 5000 generation GPUs.

Presumably Apple already has a plethora of Intel CPU-AMD GPU prototypes in different combinations in their labs, including a few with Big Navi prototype chips.

You can speculate all day but you will never know why there is no new 21" iMac right now.

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
What did I just watch, This keynote was the lamest most disappointing keynote in recent memory, the biggest thing was the blood oxygen Sensor in the series 6, where’s the innovation Apple? We didn’t even get any info on the ARM Macs or any sort of indication about any upcoming updates to the lineup of Macs aside from the news about the watch and iPad, oh and now they are not including a power brick, either
Oh come on, the event for only News+ and TV+ was worse (as in zero hardware).

Reactions: Tagbert

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
No, the worst Apple event was where the big announcement was a new patterned color for the iMac.

I thought Steve would die of embarrassment.

I liked the presentation today. The oxygen sensor looks very good. The iPad Air looks very capable. We might get one for my mom.

The new A14 is awesome. 11.8 billion transistors! That is truly amazing. They didn't say very much about what they do with all of those transistors. It was only a few years ago that this chip only had 2 billion transistors, and I thought that was amazing. And 5nm technology! That is roughly 15 or 20 atoms.

I really enjoyed the two cameos by Craig Federighi, kind of like Alfred Hitchcock sneaking into the movie.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I don't know why you watched the entire thing. Tim Cook was very clear at the beginning of the event that today's focus would be the Apple Watch and iPad. If you didn't care about those two product lines, you should have turned off the stream.

The "Time Flies" teaser line gave it all away: we knew Apple Watch would be part of this event.

Also you have been here long enough to know that Tim Cook's style is not to meander and blab hazily about unreleased products. "Oh, yes, we're working on new iPhones and Macs but we're not ready to show them to you today but trust me they look cool and have some great new features you're gonna love. Uh, we also have an unfinished Apple TV in the lab and some iPad Pros that we'll get to another day" isn't really the Apple style. It wasn't when Steve was giving these keynotes either.

That also doesn't drive focus to today's products.

Do you think Microsoft would ramble something vague about the next-gen Xbox console during a Microsoft Office product launch. Or the Ford CEO mumbling about some electric car prototype during an F-150 truck launch. NO.

Apple was very clear in their explanation why they were eliminating the included charger. You can still buy one if you need to. And I totally agree. I have 10-12 white Apple chargers in a cabinet. It's called e-waste for a completely valid reason.

I had no expectation for AS Macs today. During the WWDC keynote, Apple was intentionally vague and only mentioned they'd start shipping before the end of the year. They did not make any commitments by quarter or month. That was a pretty clear signal that AS Macs will be announced quite late. Remember that Macs comprise 10% of Apple's total revenue. Macs have not been a major contributor to their revenue stream for many years.

The next Apple event will likely be an iPhone event (maybe AirPods too). Apple CFO Luca Maestri was very clear that this year's iPhone release would be delayed by a couple of weeks during the analyst conference call following the most recent quarterly earnings announcement.
You got to respect the guy for stating that right from the get go.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
I’ll bet when Apple One comes out, they increase their numbers subscriber numbers dramatically.

I’ll bet that many, like myself, who were hanging on to their Apple Watch Series 3 or below, because it was good enough, will upgrade to the Apple Watch SE.

And I’ll bet their iPad Air sells soar to new heights.

Their goal will be achieved. While a grand and wondrous feast is a great thing to experience, sometimes, like this event, all you need is a filling meal.

Apple has locked many of us in for at least another year with this event.

Reactions: 211

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
What makes you so confidently say or believe that Apple doesn’t have a desktop class CPU in the works(or even ready) that can outperform current intel processors? We’re actually expecting a redesigned iMac in the next few months because the 21 inch iMac was NOT refreshed in 2020 (only the 27 inch version was) so Apple might just have something under its sleeve

unless it can run the 3 major OSes it underperforms. We shall see.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
unless it can run the 3 major OSes it underperforms. We shall see.
I don’t need it to run 3 major OSes, I need it to run MacOS in a way that is superior to how MacOS runs on Intel iMacs today.

Did you read about all the performance impacting heat issues the highest end 27 inch 2020 iMac is having with the high end configuration (i9, 5700XT)? An absolute shame. The CPU significantly down throttles due to excess heat

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
I don’t need it to run 3 major OSes, I need it to run MacOS in a way that is superior to how MacOS runs on Intel iMacs today.

That's you. You asked me what I thought. a tribalist processor is useless to me.

Did you read about all the performance impacting heat issues the highest end 27 inch 2020 iMac is having with the high end configuration (i9, 5700XT)? An absolute shame. The CPU significantly down throttles due to excess heat

I did not need to read about it. I knew before it was released that Apple is more concerned with making a pretty computer than properly cooling one. That's why I avoided the i9 and got the i7 which runs beautifully. I don't know how long you have been using computers, but I have seen some of the best computers in history killed by lack of software support. so as I said, we shall see.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
That's you. You asked me what I thought. a tribalist processor is useless to me.

I did not need to read about it. I knew before it was released that Apple is more concerned with making a pretty computer than properly cooling one. That's why I avoided the i9 and got the i7 which runs beautifully. I don't know how long you have been using computers, but I have seen some of the best computers in history killed by lack of software support. so as I said, we shall see.
I highly considered getting the i7 2299$ 2020 iMac as well just last week and it sure is an excellent machine with the 5500 GPU and i7 that obviously won’t get as throttled and hot as the i9 and 5700XT configuration but the idea that a new generation redesigned iMac is just around the corner made me reconsider.

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
I highly considered getting the i7 2299$ 2020 iMac as well just last week and it sure is an excellent machine with the 5500 GPU and i7 that obviously won’t get as throttled and hot as the i9 and 5700XT configuration but the idea that a new generation redesigned iMac is just around the corner made me reconsider.

If and when a Boot Camp ever arrives for AS and devs show that they will support a processor that has a miniscule share of the cpu market, I will look at it but I don't buy crippled computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.