Apple Event on April 18th - Confirmed??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lucasdavidgray, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Lucasdavidgray macrumors member

I am not sure if this has been discussed before, but last year, at WWDC, Apple had a wall of digital text. Someone caught this photo, with "Hello Tuesday, April 18, 2017." Do you think this is a hint that Apple put in for people to find? Why else would that date be put on the wall digitally like that?
    IMG_1171.JPG

2. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Omg ILLUMINNATI CONFIRMED. But really that's weird imma be laughing if they have a event that day

3. Kate. macrumors regular

Or it was their target date for opening the new complex?

4. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Dammit Kate always ruining the excitement :mad::p Stupid Apple complex

5. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    It will be interesting to see if anything happens, but things like event dates can fluctuate even as late as a month or 2 prior. So a) I'm not sure why they would want to peg down a date 10 months in advance b) even if that was there intention/target there is no way of knowing if that will actually come to fruition.

6. Jd3774life macrumors regular

Jd3774life

That would be pretty crazy haha.. I hope so, only because I want an iPad Pro and have been holding out for Gen. 2 since the announcement of the 1st iPad Pro.

7. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

I know I'm itching to upgrade my Air 2...even though really I don't need to at all.

8. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I highly doubt they know a year in advance when products are going to be ready to be announced. I'm gonna go with Kate's theory

9. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

Haha same for me. No justifiable reason for me to upgrade my Air 2 as it does everything I need it to do. But I will. Self control isnt one of my strong suits.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 23, 2017 ---
    I dont know, there is very little that Apple does without a purpose. We shall see

10. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    April 18, 2017 is Tax Day in the US. Normally it is on April 15th, but that is a Saturday, and for some reason (maybe because it will be Easter Monday?) instead of Tax Day being shifted to the following Monday the 17th, it will be Tuesday this year. So procrastinators have a little extra time to work on their taxes!

11. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

When you're planning these things out, yes, things are planned out that far. Project Management for these kinds of things are critical, and the milestones to create a new iPad aren't that flexible.

The items expected in the new iPad Pro (10.5in one)
    10.5in screen - technology already exists so it's just a matter of producing one.
    A10X Processor - probably has been in development since the A10 went gold
    Materials to accommodate the new components - old technology, easy to make
    New TouchID sensor, built into the screen - R&D, plus fabrication and implementation would make this a 18-24 month project, so they've had to start this in 2015 to make it come home now.

Working the bugs out - if it's in the April 17 time frame, they're doing that now.

Having said all that, I do think that's the day they move into their new digs, which was an 8 year project.

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

My thoughts were similar, mainly being the transition into Apple Park is imminent. Perhaps after the transition, then perhaps a Keynote would exist later in the month. It would somewhat make sense to hold the Keynote in the new facility.

13. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Prediction:

The event will take place before June 1, 2017 because that is the 50th Anniversary of The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and it will be released in a surround sound format that will only sound perfect via Apple Beats Lightning Headphones.

You read it here first.

BJ

14. nutriousmitten macrumors regular

Apple trolling the US taxpayers as Monday April 16th is the day that 90% of AAPL profits get transferred over to from the US to Ireland in the annual ritual?

My guess is, yes something to do with the Mothership's planned opening, even though that was 10 months away...and what better way to celebrate with new 10.5 Ipad and Ipad Pro refreshes!

15. Dave245 macrumors 601

No, i don't think there will be an event in April i think the iPad Pro will be updated in September or October possibly alongside new Mac's. If there was an event i think Apple wouldn't of silently updated the iPhone red and the new iPad, they would of waited and announced everything together especially the new Clips app that would be perfect to demo on stage.

16. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

The new iPad Pros were apparently being developed with A10X chips, so if that's the case there's no way they'll wait until after debuting the A11 in the new iPhone. There are also four new models in the wild identified recently, apparently indicating a lot of updates are coming imminently. Still holding out hope for a Mac/iPad event in April or early May.

17. Dave245 macrumors 601

Just because they are testing them doesn't mean they will be announced/released at an event next month. We will see what happens tho I just don't think people should get their hopes up to only be disappointed and then complain because Apple didn't announce anything.

18. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I don't think they would've developed an A10X if they weren't planning to release it.

19. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

Nah. September/October is all about the 10th anniversary iPhone & iPhone 7s. No way is Apple gonna crowd that month with iPad Pro and Mac releases. They don't want anything to steal thunder away from their prized product. I would say late Spring early Summer for iPad pros & new Macs. Perhaps May/June at the latest. Closer to WWDC.
    At least for the iPad pros. I could see Apple waiting till November for some new Macs. But I definitely expect some major updates in May/June.

20. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

If the rumored 10.5 iPad doesn't debut during April, then it likely wouldn't be until October/ November, being that's actually when the 12.9 iPad Pro launched. And then you factor in all the other hardware that's rumored to be updated, I don't see the all of this happening in September, with iOS/MacOS/WatchOS.

21. Dave245 macrumors 601

They won't just announce iPhones, even with this year being the 10th anniversary and the rumoured iPhone 8 there will be more announced at the September event, granted the iPhone 8 (or whatever it ends up being called) will probably take up a lot of the time. The last big September event they did was in 2015 when they announced iPhone 6s, iPad Pro 12.9" Apple TV 4 and Apple Watch bands. I think it's possible that they announce iPhones and iPad Pro at the same event and then a separate event for Mac's in October.

22. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

Interesting. Never thought about that. Could very well be a "Passive Aggressive" shot at US Tax Rates for Businesses?

However, I'm onboard with it being Apple Park. Going to be close. :apple:

23. majkom macrumors 65816

Heard at ATP podcast that Gurman (or sb. else well known) said, that these types of press release announcements are usually done before full packed event, so there is still chance there will be April event... one can hope:)