Apple Event on April 18th - Confirmed??

Lucasdavidgray

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2014
I am not sure if this has been discussed before, but last year, at WWDC, Apple had a wall of digital text. Someone caught this photo, with "Hello Tuesday, April 18, 2017." Do you think this is a hint that Apple put in for people to find? Why else would that date be put on the wall digitally like that?
IMG_1171.JPG

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
I am not sure if this has been discussed before, but last year, at WWDC, Apple had a wall of digital text. Someone caught this photo, with "Hello Tuesday, April 18, 2017." Do you think this is a hint that Apple put in for people to find? Why else would that date be put on the wall digitally like that?
View attachment 693216
Omg ILLUMINNATI CONFIRMED. But really that's weird imma be laughing if they have a event that day

It will be interesting to see if anything happens, but things like event dates can fluctuate even as late as a month or 2 prior. So a) I'm not sure why they would want to peg down a date 10 months in advance b) even if that was there intention/target there is no way of knowing if that will actually come to fruition.

Reactions: gobikerider

Jd3774life

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2013
Kansas City
View attachment 693216
That would be pretty crazy haha.. I hope so, only because I want an iPad Pro and have been holding out for Gen. 2 since the announcement of the 1st iPad Pro.

Reactions: utilitas

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
I highly doubt they know a year in advance when products are going to be ready to be announced. I'm gonna go with Kate's theory

Reactions: Glideslope

jhearty99

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
I know I'm itching to upgrade my Air 2...even though really I don't need to at all.
Haha same for me. No justifiable reason for me to upgrade my Air 2 as it does everything I need it to do. But I will. Self control isnt one of my strong suits.
[doublepost=1490285557][/doublepost]
I highly doubt they know a year in advance when products are going to be ready to be announced. I'm gonna go with Kate's theory
I dont know, there is very little that Apple does without a purpose. We shall see

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
April 18, 2017 is Tax Day in the US. Normally it is on April 15th, but that is a Saturday, and for some reason (maybe because it will be Easter Monday?) instead of Tax Day being shifted to the following Monday the 17th, it will be Tuesday this year. So procrastinators have a little extra time to work on their taxes!

Reactions: jhearty99

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
When you're planning these things out, yes, things are planned out that far. Project Management for these kinds of things are critical, and the milestones to create a new iPad aren't that flexible.

The items expected in the new iPad Pro (10.5in one)
10.5in screen - technology already exists so it's just a matter of producing one.
A10X Processor - probably has been in development since the A10 went gold
Materials to accommodate the new components - old technology, easy to make
New TouchID sensor, built into the screen - R&D, plus fabrication and implementation would make this a 18-24 month project, so they've had to start this in 2015 to make it come home now.

Working the bugs out - if it's in the April 17 time frame, they're doing that now.

Having said all that, I do think that's the day they move into their new digs, which was an 8 year project.

Reactions: DMVillain

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
When you're planning these things out, yes, things are planned out that far. Project Management for these kinds of things are critical, and the milestones to create a new iPad aren't that flexible.

The items expected in the new iPad Pro (10.5in one)
10.5in screen - technology already exists so it's just a matter of producing one.
A10X Processor - probably has been in development since the A10 went gold
Materials to accommodate the new components - old technology, easy to make
New TouchID sensor, built into the screen - R&D, plus fabrication and implementation would make this a 18-24 month project, so they've had to start this in 2015 to make it come home now.

Working the bugs out - if it's in the April 17 time frame, they're doing that now.

Having said all that, I do think that's the day they move into their new digs, which was an 8 year project.
My thoughts were similar, mainly being the transition into Apple Park is imminent. Perhaps after the transition, then perhaps a Keynote would exist later in the month. It would somewhat make sense to hold the Keynote in the new facility.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Prediction:

The event will take place before June 1, 2017 because that is the 50th Anniversary of The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and it will be released in a surround sound format that will only sound perfect via Apple Beats Lightning Headphones.

You read it here first.

BJ

Reactions: psac and bigjnyc

nutriousmitten

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2017
April 18, 2017 is Tax Day in the US. Normally it is on April 15th, but that is a Saturday, and for some reason (maybe because it will be Easter Monday?) instead of Tax Day being shifted to the following Monday the 17th, it will be Tuesday this year. So procrastinators have a little extra time to work on their taxes!
Apple trolling the US taxpayers as Monday April 16th is the day that 90% of AAPL profits get transferred over to from the US to Ireland in the annual ritual?

My guess is, yes something to do with the Mothership's planned opening, even though that was 10 months away...and what better way to celebrate with new 10.5 Ipad and Ipad Pro refreshes!

Reactions: gobikerider

Dave245

macrumors 604
Sep 15, 2013
No, i don't think there will be an event in April i think the iPad Pro will be updated in September or October possibly alongside new Mac's. If there was an event i think Apple wouldn't of silently updated the iPhone red and the new iPad, they would of waited and announced everything together especially the new Clips app that would be perfect to demo on stage.

AceFernalld

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
The new iPad Pros were apparently being developed with A10X chips, so if that's the case there's no way they'll wait until after debuting the A11 in the new iPhone. There are also four new models in the wild identified recently, apparently indicating a lot of updates are coming imminently. Still holding out hope for a Mac/iPad event in April or early May.

Reactions: ABC5S

Dave245

macrumors 604
Sep 15, 2013
The new iPad Pros were apparently being developed with A10X chips, so if that's the case there's no way they'll wait until after debuting the A11 in the new iPhone. There are also four new models in the wild identified recently, apparently indicating a lot of updates are coming imminently. Still holding out hope for a Mac/iPad event in April or early May.
Just because they are testing them doesn't mean they will be announced/released at an event next month. We will see what happens tho I just don't think people should get their hopes up to only be disappointed and then complain because Apple didn't announce anything.

Reactions: Relentless Power

AceFernalld

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Just because they are testing them doesn't mean they will be announced/released at an event next month. We will see what happens tho I just don't think people should get their hopes up to only be disappointed and then complain because Apple didn't announce anything.
I don't think they would've developed an A10X if they weren't planning to release it.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
No, i don't think there will be an event in April i think the iPad Pro will be updated in September or October possibly alongside new Mac's. If there was an event i think Apple wouldn't of silently updated the iPhone red and the new iPad, they would of waited and announced everything together especially the new Clips app that would be perfect to demo on stage.
Nah. September/October is all about the 10th anniversary iPhone & iPhone 7s. No way is Apple gonna crowd that month with iPad Pro and Mac releases. They don't want anything to steal thunder away from their prized product. I would say late Spring early Summer for iPad pros & new Macs. Perhaps May/June at the latest. Closer to WWDC.
At least for the iPad pros. I could see Apple waiting till November for some new Macs. But I definitely expect some major updates in May/June.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Nah. September/October is all about the 10th anniversary iPhone & iPhone 7s. No way is Apple gonna crowd that month with iPad Pro and Mac releases. They don't want anything to steal thunder away from their prized product. I would say late Spring early Summer for iPad pros & new Macs. Perhaps May/June at the latest. Closer to WWDC.
At least for the iPad pros. I could see Apple waiting till November for some new Macs. But I definitely expect some major updates in May/June.
If the rumored 10.5 iPad doesn't debut during April, then it likely wouldn't be until October/ November, being that's actually when the 12.9 iPad Pro launched. And then you factor in all the other hardware that's rumored to be updated, I don't see the all of this happening in September, with iOS/MacOS/WatchOS.

Dave245

macrumors 604
Sep 15, 2013
They won't just announce iPhones, even with this year being the 10th anniversary and the rumoured iPhone 8 there will be more announced at the September event, granted the iPhone 8 (or whatever it ends up being called) will probably take up a lot of the time. The last big September event they did was in 2015 when they announced iPhone 6s, iPad Pro 12.9" Apple TV 4 and Apple Watch bands. I think it's possible that they announce iPhones and iPad Pro at the same event and then a separate event for Mac's in October.

Glideslope

macrumors 603
Dec 7, 2007
A quiet place in NY.
Interesting. Never thought about that. Could very well be a "Passive Aggressive" shot at US Tax Rates for Businesses?

However, I'm onboard with it being Apple Park. Going to be close. :apple:

majkom

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Heard at ATP podcast that Gurman (or sb. else well known) said, that these types of press release announcements are usually done before full packed event, so there is still chance there will be April event... one can hope:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.