Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
So I saw that Apple is having an event September 9th to introduce some new iPods (and maybe a new version of iTunes?) but does anyone know if they will be releasing the new firmware for the iPhone? If we could get push notification support and a stability fix next week that would be AMAZING!

Hopefully they'll at least announce that it will be available later in September and will contain some new features as well (copy/paste, mms etc)? Kinda hoping they at least make a mention of it at the event.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I'm sure we'll see the push service as part of the 2.1 update, but I really doubt we'll see MMS or copy'n'paste. I'm just hoping that the update makes my iPod Touch a bit more stable. :mad:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
So I saw that Apple is having an event September 9th to introduce some new iPods (and maybe a new version of iTunes?) but does anyone know if they will be releasing the new firmware for the iPhone? If we could get push notification support and a stability fix next week that would be AMAZING!

Hopefully they'll at least announce that it will be available later in September and will contain some new features as well (copy/paste, mms etc)? Kinda hoping they at least make a mention of it at the event.

As it has been said many times before, it will be absolutely stupid for Apple to introduce new features in a new release of their firmware without having their older issues fixed and stabilized.

You will not see anything out there new before the firmware is stable.

BL.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
As it has been said many times before, it will be absolutely stupid for Apple to introduce new features in a new release of their firmware without having their older issues fixed and stabilized.

BL.

Fair point...so do you think they will release or announce a more stable firmware Sept 9th?

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008

BL.

While it may be "stupid" in your opinion, you are absolutely wrong. 2.1 will have new features and will not simply be bug fixes. If it were nothing more than bug fixes it would be named 2.0.x - not 2.1.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
While it may be "stupid" in your opinion, you are absolutely wrong. 2.1 will have new features and will not simply be bug fixes. If it were nothing more than bug fixes it would be named 2.0.x - not 2.1.

Did you even read what you quoted? He said that it would be stupid for Apple to release a firmware with new features while there are still major issues in the current firmware. And he's absolutely right...

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?

While I agree that there will be some new features added. As has been mentioned in many other threads, and in the main page blog, this will fix the majority of the firmware issues. That is the quote from Steve Jobs. Many, many bug fixes.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

And you notice how buggy 2.0.x is, don't you? :rolleyes: If not, let's recap:

Dropped 3G calls (possible bad chipset).
Crashing Apps.
Reboots sporadically.
Lag.
Little to no 3G service at all in 3G areas (see bad chipset).
Hour(s) long backups and/or syncs with iTunes.
Push.

There's a reason why I haven't updated to 2.0.2 on my 3G iPhone; I'll give you 5 guesses as to why (hint: they're all the same).

So on top of this, you want to add MORE features (copy/paste, mms), that could create more bugs/issues?

Like I said. Fix the existing problems first, before adding anything that could make it worse than what it already is. That always has been the best policy for coding, and Apple is/should be no exception to that.

BL.

pmzpocket

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
While I agree that there will be some new features added. As has been mentioned in many other threads, and in the main page blog, this will fix the majority of the firmware issues. That is the quote from Steve Jobs. Many, many bug fixes.

English much?

New features do not fix buggy firmware. New, seriously tested, firmware fixes buggy firmware.

I personally will be demanding a refund from Apple on Sep. 10th if there is no fix-all update. At the very least, i want an iPhone as stable as the one I had A YEAR AGO. Thats not much to ask, considering I just bought a brand new one.

pmzpocket

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
And you notice how buggy 2.0.x is, don't you? :rolleyes: If not, let's recap:

Dropped 3G calls (possible bad chipset).
Crashing Apps.
Reboots sporadically.
Lag.
Little to no 3G service at all in 3G areas (see bad chipset).
Hour(s) long backups and/or syncs with iTunes.
Push.

There's a reason why I haven't updated to 2.0.2 on my 3G iPhone; I'll give you 5 guesses as to why (hint: they're all the same).

So on top of this, you want to add MORE features (copy/paste, mms), that could create more bugs/issues?

Like I said. Fix the existing problems first, before adding anything that could make it worse than what it already is. That always has been the best policy for coding, and Apple is/should be no exception to that.

BL.

After reading that list of issues, and realizing that myself and every other 2.0.x user I know of has all of those issues, It has made me sick that we as consumers have allowed this to exist for almost 2 months.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
English much?

New features do not fix buggy firmware. New, seriously tested, firmware fixes buggy firmware.

I personally will be demanding a refund from Apple on Sep. 10th if there is no fix-all update. At the very least, i want an iPhone as stable as the one I had A YEAR AGO. Thats not much to ask, considering I just bought a brand new one.

Thanks for the grammar lesson newb. I used a period instead of a comma, so sue me!

To clarify for the confused, I believe that there will be some new features with the 2.1 update. I also believe that there will be bug fixes for the current issues, as mentioned by Steve Jobs. I agree that 2.1 will not be JUST bug fixes, or else it would be the 2.0.3 update vice the 2.1 update.

Just some thread advice newb, don't go correcting other people's grammar. It's bad form. Stick to the topic, and the last time I checked it was not grammar 101.

pmzpocket

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
Thanks for the grammar lesson newb. I used a period instead of a comma, so sue me!

To clarify for the confused, I believe that there will be some new features with the 2.1 update. I also believe that there will be bug fixes for the current issues, as mentioned by Steve Jobs. I agree that 2.1 will not be JUST bug fixes, or else it would be the 2.0.3 update vice the 2.1 update.

Just some thread advice newb, don't go correcting other people's grammar. It's bad form. Stick to the topic, and the last time I checked it was not grammar 101.

lol "newb". Do yerself a little learnin' bout the internet, and realize not everyone that appears as a "newb" on forum, is in fact that.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
lol "newb". Do yerself a little learnin' bout the internet, and realize not everyone that appears as a "newb" on forum, is in fact that.

Again, stick to the topic NEWB. I don't care if you are new or not. Do you need further clarification about my previous post and opinions regarding the 2.1 update, or are you just trolling for a rise out of some one? :D

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Quit the pissing contest.

For all those complaining about "fixes..." Well, I've had my phone for a few days now without any major problems.

Had a restart during an application install while jailbroken.... but that's about it.

While I agree they should focus on hammering out any bugs in the device... they most certainly should add "new" features, such as the Push notification they've gone on and on about.

VTMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
they most certainly should add "new" features, such as the Push notification they've gone on and on about.

The notification service was removed from the last developer seed. It is extremely unlikely that's going to make it into a September release. In order to release that, they will need to test the ever loving daylights out of it. And given all their recent quality problems (iPhone / MobileMe) my impression is that they are getting much more conservative with new features. Hence pulling it because it simply wasn't ready yet.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
OT:
According to this article you're part of your 3G connectivity problem.

As for the rest of my problems (*) completely wiping my phone, starting from the ground up and only installing/updating apps from iTunes has completely solved all my other problems (lag, other apps crashing, sporadic rebooting and hour long backups). Doing that makes the first backup long but then any other backup is 3-5 minutes on average. Until Apple fixes the problems with installing/updating apps on the phone itself I'll stick with doing it this way.

*Safari still crashes on it's own but since it remembers what tabs I had open it's really just an inconvenience at this point.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
How/why would anyone here have an answer for that?

In my opinion, I think something will be announced, but not released at that time. I hope they release something at that time, because it is way too coincidental (and I called it in another thread! ;) ) that they would announce something or have some sort of event the same day that the 3G iPhone becomes available at Best Buy in the US.

Because of that (having yet another nationwide retail outlet in N. America), something will at least be announced.

BL.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
How/why would anyone here have an answer for that?

I'm not expecting anyone to have a factual answer to my question. That's why I phrased it "do you think" meaning I was asking for people's OPINIONS on an Internet forum. Didn't realize that was so weird...

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
Well steve said himself the fix is coming in september, and i don't see push services yet only because they said they removed it for "further" development. I HOPE we do get it though, i would love it.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
The notification service was removed from the last developer seed. It is extremely unlikely that's going to make it into a September release. In order to release that, they will need to test the ever loving daylights out of it. And given all their recent quality problems (iPhone / MobileMe) my impression is that they are getting much more conservative with new features. Hence pulling it because it simply wasn't ready yet.

I know it was pulled but I still have hope. :p

Who knows? Apple has certainly surprised the world before! :D

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado

That's correct. 2.1 will be out this month regardless of wether all bug fixes are fixed or not. Yes 2.1 will address allot of the bugs but some people will still experience bugs.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007

BL.

You're part of the problem. Not the solution. How is Apple going to move forward if they can't realize the firmware changes across the US? Spend less time thinking you can outperform a multi-billion company of engineers. I'm on 2.0.2 and it works terrific!

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I have had none of the problems listed here. On 2.0.0, 2.0.1, or 2.0.2 and I don't think I'll have any with 2.1.0. If the iPhone software/design was as bad as it appears on this forum who would be buying the phone?

I think things get really overblown on here (MR). As mentioned before 2.0.2 would help with the connectivity but with people refusing to update what can Apple do? Force the update when you sync?

As for the original question, I think Apple will focus on the iPod on the 9th. You might get an update, but no one here knows wether that will be 2.0.3 or 2.1.0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.