Apple Events No Longer Fun.... Too Many Spoilers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lebowski, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Lebowski macrumors 6502

Is it just me, or has the last several apple events lost their "excitement"?

It used to be a big suprise when they would release new product, but with the plethora of spy shots, mockups and spoilers the events are just an official release statement, no longer a HEY CHECK THIS OUT event.

Its too bad really. I used to love seing Steve drop killer new stuff on us, now its more of a "see which rumor site had the most accurate info"

Gone are the days of "One More Thing..."

2. soccerplayaatl macrumors member

Actually, today's event had a "One More Thing." It was the Macbook. The majority of the time they talked about the way they were making the new laptops, and the new NVidia Chipset. They then introduced the Macbook Pro and with it the display. The One More Thing was the Macbook.

But I agree with you. Before, the "One More Thing" was actually more of a surprise. Since we saw the case leaks of both the Macbook and Macbook Pro at the same time, it was hardly a surprise.

I agree with you. It seems as though the only thing that we did not know before today was that the new Macbook Air has a DisplayPort connector and that their overpriced display has all the built in cords to charge your macbook, view your macbook screen and have a USB hub built in.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

That was all leaked before the event too.

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well you could always not go on the rumors site if you want to be surprised! ;) It's kind of like complaining the thrill of Christmas day is gone after successfully finding out where your parents hid the presents. I guess it's also an indication that we are getting better/more accurate rumours here... but that's what we want right?

5. G5power macrumors 6502

The novelty of a surprise announcement is cool.

But honestly I would prefer to have an idea of what is coming so that I can adjust my plans.

Even if the new models or features aren't important to me, you can still get a killer deal on the closeouts of the previous generation.

6. Lebowski thread starter macrumors 6502

But the problem is that it isnt just rumor sites anymore. I dont look at Giz or Engadget as rumor, more of "tech" sites... and both were covered with leaked info.

and as far as "adjusting plans"... thats another funny thing. The second apple releases a new product, every fanboy hops on the train. A million "how much for my old macbook" threads every hour. If you are legitimately in the market for a new computer, OK, but it seems like ALOT of people just buy to have the lastest thing. I am a HUGE mac fan, have several desktops, imacs and notebooks, but I upgrade every few years when NEEDED, not whenever a new product drops.

7. soccerplayaatl macrumors member

Oh wow, really? Its just amazing how accurate these leaks are getting.

8. G5power macrumors 6502

I agree with you. I like to wait and snatch up a great deal after the new models are introduced. I got killer deals that way on my mini a couple of years ago and then on my iMac.

In my view when I unboxed my new iMac it was just as shiny, cool and kick b*tt for me then if I had spent hundreds and hundreds more to have few more MHz of speed.

Being patient and keeping an eye on the rumors lets you be ready to pull the trigger.