Apple exchange help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rockyroad55, Jul 8, 2011.

1. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I bought a MacBook and want to exchange it for a MBP, which would be about a $200 difference. I called about the exchange policy and asked them about 2 scenarios I had in my head.

1. They would return the MB for $999 and then I would have to buy the MBP for $1199.
    2. I would just pay the $200 in whatever payment method I want.

They said it would be option 1. Problem is, I no longer have that card that I had originally used with me anymore (no account w/ them now) so I was wondering if anyone has ever done option 2 before?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Option 1 really is the only choice, for book keeping reasons. You could get them to refund the money in a gift card, and then use that and $200, right?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They might not refund as a gift card. If it was paid for by credit card, they would likely simply issue a credit to that card. Otherwise, that process could be used fraudulently.

4. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I just called them and they said they could do it as a refund to a gift card, but another store told me they wouldn't. I'm confused.

5. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

When the Apple store people return your macbook on their easypays, it'll be a negative 999; when they scan the new mbp, it'll be +1199, so you pay the difference however you like. Easy.

6. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

True, but I think going the gift card route might be a bit easier for me. Maybe, I'll just get the refurb MBP online instead. :)