Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

International Business Times covers a report from Chinese news site Sina.com.cn claiming that Apple executives, headed by vice president of iPod and iPhone Product Marketing Greg Joswiak, are headed to Beijing this week to discuss with representatives of wireless carrier China Unicom plans for launching the iPhone there.
"Senior officials from Apple Inc are to visit China this week, and they haven't arrived in Beijing yet," the informed source told Sina.com. "Apple's branch company in China are ready for the reception, and it has informed China Unicom about this earlier," the source revealed the information on Monday night.

"Their visit aims to visit senior officials of China Unicom and discuss with them how iPhone should enter Chinese market," the source said, adding that officials of Apple may also meet seniors of Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT).
Late last week, several images of the China-specific iPhone surfaced, along with evidence that China's State Radio Regulatory Commission had approved the device for sale on May 7th. Several reports out of the region have recently indicated that a deal between Apple and China Unicom is imminent, and this week's meeting may be related to finalization of details of the partnership.

Article Link: Apple Executives Headed to China for iPhone Negotiations?

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
It will be nice to see Apple finally get the iPhone into China. I'm sure it's been a lot of work for all parties involved.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Would be nice if they went there to say "You're fired." and started making this stuff in the US.

I know, I know.. unlikely. But one can dream right?

Let's bring the jobs back damnit. I want to see "Made in the USA" again.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
the two groups will reportedly exchange a bag of fortune cookies with apple's collection of cookies containing famous phrases from the Woz.

kousuke18

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Would be nice if they went there to say "You're fired." and started making this stuff in the US.

Fire who? They're meeting the executives of China Unicom, not Apple employees.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL

Sure, if you want to pay 5000 for your computers and 2000 for your phones.

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005

Anyone who cares to think for a second without close minded patriotism will realize quickly that everyone is better off the more we trade with each others, and worse off when we start discriminating potential partners based on their nationality.

EirPod

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2005
Dublin
I thought it would happened one day

I though this would happen one day

3652138642_febee4baec.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2445/3652138642_febee4baec.jpg

darrenmoffatt

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
Redmond, WA
Anyone who cares to think for a second without close minded patriotism will realize quickly that everyone is better off the more we trade with each others, and worse off when we start discriminating potential partners based on their nationality.

Agreed.

I never understood the mentality of "Keeping jobs in the US" after a company has gone multinational.

Apple serves countries globally now. While the US has played a huge part in their growth, many other countries have helped play an part as well. A Chinese company made an offer to manufacture parts that met Apple's standards at a competitive price. In turn, consumers all over the world get a quality product at a competitive price.

IMO Apple does a pretty good job with employing people from all of the countries it exists in.

Besides... isn't Jonathan Ives a British-Born Designer? Seems to me that some of Apple's best stuff was done through the work of people from many nationalities :p

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009

Please Apple is not just an American company, so what if they are based there. They operate in many different countries and employ people there. Some people have this belief that if you start making things in America, the quality of the products goes way up, isn't it America where they make crappy GM cars and Fords, so much for the quality of those products. Apple should spread more globaly. Most of the things in this world is produced in China but yet we are still living and enjoying them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.