Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will add 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Air models released in Mid 2012 to its vintage and obsolete products list on August 31, according to an internal document distributed to Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers and obtained by MacRumors from a reliable source.

macbook_air_13_2012.jpg

Normally, this would mean the 2012 MacBook Air is no longer eligible for hardware service, except where required by law. However, Apple has decided to include the notebook in its recently launched pilot program that allows for repairs to continue into the vintage period, subject to parts availability.

Apple says 2012 MacBook Air models will remain eligible for service at Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers worldwide through August 31, 2020, a full two years after the notebook is classified as vintage. Mail-in service will also be an option in the United States and Japan through that date.

Apple launched this pilot program in February, starting with 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac models released in Mid 2011, but only in the United States and Turkey, so this marks the first time the initiative has expanded worldwide.

The coverage period for the Mid 2011 iMac models was initially set to expire August 31, 2018, but Apple has extended it to January 1, 2019, according to internal documents. However, unlike the 2012 MacBook Air, service for the Mid 2011 iMac remains available in the United States and Turkey only.

apple-pilot-program-vintage-mac-repairs-800x358.jpg
Apple's pilot program chart reproduced by MacRumors

If parts are unavailable for a specific repair for these vintage Macs, Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers are instructed to decline service. This is also a pilot program to begin with, so it is subject to change or end at any time.

Apple products become vintage five years after they are last manufactured, at which point they typically become ineligible for hardware service. 2012 MacBook Air models were last sold in June 2013, slightly over five years ago, but they'll now receive an impressive eight years of repair support.

The exact reason for the pilot program is unclear, beyond Apple apparently having a surplus of repair parts for these specific MacBook Air and iMac models. Any extension of hardware service eligibility is certainly a bonus for customers.

MacRumors has reached out to Apple for comment.

Article Link: Apple Expanding Pilot Program Allowing Repairs of Select Vintage Macs Worldwide, Starting With 2012 MacBook Air

Reactions: Appleaker

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Good move. In the era where real world incremental improvements in usability are declining, it makes sense to keep the customer happy. This is much like Apple's support of legacy hardware with software updates. You do what you can to keep the customer's equipment up to date and thus give the customer value for the products you sell. Sure, not all features can be supported by new OS updates, but those that can are updated.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
When something that old breaks, I could imagine the challenge to somebody trying to repair it is figuring out what exactly is broken and what still works.
Too often, there will be multiple hardware malfunctions at the same time, or in very fast succession.

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
This is rather apropos to the "right to repair" movement, for which Apple has been a strong opponent. If Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Repair Shops are not allowed to repair a product, Apple (and other manufacturers) should provide parts (if available) and schematics for the "vintage" products to be repaired by independent repair shops, or the individual owner. If a product is so dated as to be declared un-repairable and non-supported, why should the company care about releasing schematics and/or part information? Even if they no longer have parts in stock, let the owner or repair technician figure out how to find parts that will work.

https://ifixit.org/right

To make such information unavailable lends to the argument that planned obsolescence is in force.

Last edited:

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I think I need to accept signs of time. First no Mojave support, now this. RIP my beloved and still running snappy 2010 MacBook Air.

Reactions: curtvaughan

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Slightly relevant -

My non retina 2012 13” wouldn’t boot up anymore, completely out of random. I highly doubt that ssd has failed. Read somewhere that usually for these models it’s the SATA cable that’s at fault? I have not opened the Mac recently, just when I upgraded the ram and ssd which was years ago, does anyone know if Apple will help with 6 years old device and sadly out of Apple Care too.

Gods if I lose the month long non back up work files and some photos, I’m so dead. :(

Reactions: 5105973

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Hard to believe my good buddy 2012 air is 8 years old. Helped launch my app company and while it hasn’t been my main computer for years it’s still running strong. Hoping I get another 2 years out of it and they don’t stop allowing for os and Xcode updates on it.

Reactions: 5105973

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
“Normally, this would mean the 2012 MacBook Air is no longer eligible for hardware service, except where required by law”
Compelling decision for a Board that considers itself above that law.
Hopefully they can afford it.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Despite the soldered RAM, the Macbook Airs are actually very repairable. The battery isn't glued and very easy to replace. The trackpad is easily accessible and replaceable also. Both are common failure points on an old MBA. The screen is also easy to remove. The power board (also with the USB port on that side) is seperate from the main logic board. None of it is super layered. It's actually pretty modular inside.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
The fact that Apple is doing this shows that they realize how important the MacBook Air is. Now what Apple needs to do is release an update to the MacBook Air line to encourage people using these vintage machines to upgrade.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Why is the 2011 iMac only for the U.S. and Turkey?? I bought my Mac from the U.S. online store and had it shipped to Canada so should that count? I’ve got a giant boat anchor thanks to a dead graphics card.

Reactions: martyjmclean
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.