Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-Logo-250x250.png
Following several weeks of rumors about Apple's car-related projects, a recent move by the company to expand trademark coverage of the "Apple" name and iconic Apple logo in Switzerland to include vehicles is gaining attention, as noticed by ApfelBlog.ch [Google Translate] (via Cult of Mac).

While the expansion, which also occurred in Mexico on the same date last month, is unsurprisingly sparking discussion about Apple's efforts in the automotive industry, it is not exactly a new development. Various other Apple trademark applications over the years have included protection under International Class 12, which covers vehicles and their accessories. A European Union filing from October 2003 describes a similar vehicle-related corporate trademark, and others such as a United Kingdom filing from last year have been filed since that time.

Each trademark filing goes through the same basic motions in mentioning various types of vehicles and vehicle-related devices to be covered.
Vehicles; Apparatus for locomotion by land, air or water; electronic hardware components for motor vehicles, rail cars and locomotives, ships and aircraft; Anti-theft devices; Theft alarms for vehicles; Bicycles; Golf carts; Wheelchairs; Air pumps; Motorcycles; Aftermarket parts (after-market parts) and accessories for the aforesaid goods.
One issue with interpreting trademark applications is the common strategy of trying to cover as broad a base as possible in order to maximize protection, and thus it is difficult to tell whether Apple's new vehicle-related applications are related to the rumored projects or something simpler such as CarPlay. Apple also currently holds "iPhone," "Mac," and "iPod" trademark protection under Class 12 in several countries.

The Swiss and Mexican filings come on the heels of a recent deluge in Apple car-related news that began when a mysterious van leased to the company was seen on Bay Area streets. Further news on the company hiring employees from Tesla, Ford and GM, and reports stating the so-called "Project Titan" is aiming to launch in 2020 have led some to believe the vans are related to Apple's vehicle project, but they appear more likely to be an attempt to beef up Apple's Maps offerings with imagery similar to Google's Street View.

Article Link: Apple Expands Company Trademarks to Cover Vehicles, but Similar Filings Date Back to 2003

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I'm sure the Samsung Gear Car will be out soon following this news.

misterpip

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2011
I think the street view mapping will be part of Maps upgrade to be announce as part of WWDC 2015. They might show street view in areas close to it's HQ just as an initial example.

TreyCox

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Washington, DC
I can't wait to buy my Apple car in 2040. I say 2040 because it'll take 20 years of depreciation for me to afford the 2020 model.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Tim Cook was asked about the car rumors in Germany to which he predictably answered "no comment".

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Vehicles; Apparatus for locomotion by land, air or water; electronic hardware components for motor vehicles, rail cars and locomotives, ships and aircraft; Anti-theft devices; Theft alarms for vehicles; Bicycles; Golf carts; Wheelchairs; Air pumps; Motorcycles; Aftermarket parts (after-market parts) and accessories for the aforesaid goods.

So, Apple is building ships and aircrafts now? If they build a plane can it get its upgrade "Over The Air?" :D:p:cool:;):rolleyes:

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
An Apple car will be more convenient and save me money!

If we go by history, we won't need license plates, and can park in handicap spots!

ht_steve_jobs_car_jef_111028_wmain.jpg

RoccoFan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Remember when that car indistry executive said that Apple should think long and hard before getting in to the car business? I don't think he realized that Apple can buy any of the big car companies with the change the could find in Cooks office coach. :)

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Apple isn't going to manufacture a car. Period.

It may partner with someone else and Apple is currently working on advanced auto technologies of some sort. If these technologies pan out then they could be used by an auto manufacture.

There is nothing new here. Auto manufacturers have been partnering with other companies for many years.

But Apple does have the resources and track record to come up with some ground breaking auto enhancements.

some1uDNTknow

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
United States
Is this acceptable in most countries? I mean extending the range of your trademarks to all sorts of things that you will most likely not produce. E.g. a ship.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Remember when that car indistry executive said that Apple should think long and hard before getting in to the car business? I don't think he realized that Apple can buy any of the big car companies with the change the could find in Cooks office coach. :)
I'm pretty sure the (former) CEO of GM, whose primary background is telecommunications and venture capitalism, is well aware of Apple's cash reserves. How does Apple having tens of billions in the piggy bank undermine his comment?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.