Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's fleet of self-driving vehicles roaming the streets of California for testing now includes 69 vehicles and 92 drivers, according to information from the California Department of Motor Vehicles obtained by macReports.

Apple-car-wheel-icon-feature-yellow.jpg

This means that Apple has added one self-driving car and 16 drivers since May this year. Apple has been expanding its autonomous vehicle test since it was granted a permit from the California DMV in April 2017, enabling it to test its self-driving technology on public roads in the state. Beginning in early 2018, multiple sources reported on the number of vehicles in Apple's fleet, which steadily expanded throughout that year.

Each of Apple's testing vehicles is equipped with the company's in-development autonomous driving software, along with advanced LiDAR equipment and an array of cameras to detect the vehicle's surroundings. The actual cars are Lexus RX450h sports utility vehicles and must have safety drivers inside of them, since, unlike rival companies that are self-driving technology, Apple's permit still does not include driverless testing.

applelexusselfdriving1.jpg

Apple's fleet of self-driving vehicles are reportedly gathering data for the company's long-rumored autonomous vehicle software. In June of 2017 Apple CEO Tim Cook confirmed Apple's work on autonomous software: "We're focusing on autonomous systems. It's a core technology that we view as very important. We sort of see it as the mother of all AI projects... it's probably one of the most difficult AI projects to actually work on."

Earlier this year, it was revealed that Apple had more than doubled its self-driving mileage in 2020, reaching a total of 18,805 miles, up from the 7,544 miles the previous year. There were a total of 130 disengagements in 2020, up from 64 in 2019, but Apple's cars experienced a disengagement every 144.6 miles, which is a better metric than the previous year where there was a disengagement every 117.8 miles, indicating an improvement in the technology.

Article Link: Apple Expands Fleet of Self-Driving Cars

Mrjetsondc

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2020
Tesla should open source all their 3D maps, AI data and self driving algorithms.

Their first mover advantage based on having already countless cars on the road gathering data is a de facto tax on the self driving space, thus stifling innovation.

Tesla, the company run by a privileged jabroni who insisted on Apple buying his money pit of a company AND be made CEO? The man-child who refuses apple car play bc he is a sore loser?

Sure Jan, sure.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Test it in January in Alaska, Canada, or Scandinavia, then we'll talk!

That being said, I'm sure they do or thinking about it. It just sounds that they mostly test these in the harsh
weather of California. :-D

Reactions: nickgovier

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Tesla should open source all their 3D maps, AI data and self driving algorithms.

Their first mover advantage based on having already countless cars on the road gathering data is a de facto tax on the self driving space, thus stifling innovation.
It's highly likely Tesla will permit others to purchase or barter for the data.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
Test it in January in Alaska, Canada, or Scandinavia, then we'll talk!

That being said, I'm sure they do or thinking about it. It just sounds that they mostly test these in the harsh
weather of California. :-D
same thinking from Minnesota. how will these work in snow covered road situations? I assume you'll just need to take over and manually drive. but interesting tech development question - can autonomous driving be taught safe practice for snowy, icy, black ice driving?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
can't be hard to beat tesla. their FSD has turned out to be garbage. elon's smokescreen is lifting away.
An issue with your thesis is that Tesla is the undisputed leader in FSD that's in the hands of non-employees right now.

There's Waymo's little 100 square mile beta, Tesla's national beta with 5K vehicles, and then nobody else.

Then there's widely released autonomy software. Tesla pretty handily leads there with 1M+ vehicles and I don't think anybody is even bothering to try saying they're in the same league as Tesla anymore (GM's Supercruise, Ford's Blue whatever, Nissan Pro-Pilot, and Audi Jam Assist)... they all used to say that they had something, and then it turned out that nobody could match Tesla's first iteration of Autopilot from 2014, nevermind what they're doing today.

giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
Tesla, the company run by a privileged jabroni

Privileged? He’s just like us, he’s one of us, he lives in a 50k$ house, he’s goofy and he likes old memes, he drives thousands of lemmings off a cliff by promoting gambling with dog-related cryptocurrencies, he’s one of us. Not a manipulative one-man marketing machine whose social media conduct was already sanctioned by the SEC in the past. Not at all, he’s just a regular goofy guy who likes memes and having fun with us, sometimes sharing his opinion on ongoing trials from the toilet, with no ulterior motives.

giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
It's highly likely Tesla will permit others to purchase or barter for the data.

That would be a de facto tax for smaller players based on more than a decade of first mover advantage.
I’d like this space to move at the de facto fastest speed possible since so many car crash lives could be saved the sooner we get there.

• Sad

saronian

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2009
Tesla wants to be Apple and Apple wants to be Tesla. The battle will give us better car choices in the next few years and who doesn't want that?

BTW - The Tesla Model 3 is an amazing car with hardware and software that may take competitors years to equal.

Reactions: nickgovier and Huck

libertysat

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
Why nothing about TuSimple?
Haven't heard anything about them for a while now.

I used to see their trucks on the hiway almost every day around Tucson, I'm thinkin they are in a different phase of their beta and have repainted their trucks to blend in better

scheinderrob

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2021
An issue with your thesis is that Tesla is the undisputed leader in FSD that's in the hands of non-employees right now.

There's Waymo's little 100 square mile beta, Tesla's national beta with 5K vehicles, and then nobody else.

Then there's widely released autonomy software. Tesla pretty handily leads there with 1M+ vehicles and I don't think anybody is even bothering to try saying they're in the same league as Tesla anymore (GM's Supercruise, Ford's Blue whatever, Nissan Pro-Pilot, and Audi Jam Assist)... they all used to say that they had something, and then it turned out that nobody could match Tesla's first iteration of Autopilot from 2014, nevermind what they're doing today.

sounds like you haven't driven many modern cars.

i own quite a few, including tesla. can't recall any others with phantom braking.

• Haha
Reactions: MrTemple

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

Tesla should open source their proprietary software, which they’ve been working on for a decade? Is this a joke? They have a first mover advantage because they entered this space earlier and better and more decisively than any of their competitors. Now other companies get to play catch up. Next time maybe they’ll innovate sooner.

giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
Tesla should open source their proprietary software, which they’ve been working on for a decade? Is this a joke? They have a first mover advantage because they entered this space earlier and better and more decisively than any of their competitors. Now other companies get to play catch up. Next time maybe they’ll innovate sooner.

Kinda like sparking a multi-billion dollars app ecosystem in 2008, constantly providing the best hardware and OS updates afterwards to run apps on a pleasant&fast&safe spending-inducing platform and then asking an industry-standard 30% cut on the apps proceeds? I get it, now that I think about it.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.

Tesla is claiming it's in a league all it's own.
GM Super Cruise is most definitely as advanced as Tesla.

Tesla is level 2 autonomous, no matter what Elon says. The "full self driving" is a farce.

There are no level 4 or level 5 autonomous systems out there.

icwhatudidthere

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2019
sounds like you haven't driven many modern cars.

i own quite a few, including tesla. can't recall any others with phantom braking.
I had a 2013 Mercedes which had radar emergency braking. It definitely had phantom braking at a specific location where there was a railroad overpass and the road drops to go under it. As you approached it, the radar would pick up the overpass and it would hit the brakes consistently.

My current Tesla I guess is happy enough to let me drive into it. :)

Zebulah

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
It is interesting that everyone is playing up the Tesla/Apple rivalry -- while renowned iOS hacker (and former employee of FB and Google) Geohot's Comma.ai aspires to be the Android of the world of self-driving (although they refer to it as "making driving chill"). Comma's open-source OpenPilot software (and the associated hardware sold by Comma) should not be overlooked. Consumer Reports sure liked their offering. I supposed they aren't the favorite horses in the race, but they are definitely not a long shot either. As an Apple shareholder, I am reluctantly rooting for Comma. I like their vision of incrementally improving the driving experience. And "vision only" sure makes sense...it's what humans use to drive. They have been talking vision only for a long time before Musk & co got on board. Comma may call themselves the Android of their industry, but maybe one day Apple can talk to them.

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2018
Apple is in an interesting position. I doubt they will ever build their own car but creating a CarOS to licence to automobile manufacturers and in turn control the app space therein sounds like a good idea. It will obviously integrate with other Apple products too allowing you to summon a car by speaking to your watch which is AWESOME. Maybe a magnetic dash would allow you to stick your iPad in the car as a HUD but take it away afterwards?

There is also the huge amounts of R&D from this project filtering down to other products like LiDAR did. The AI from the car could be used to make Siri smarter for example and no doubt all that mapping data is being fed to the Maps team.

TropN

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2014
I had a 2013 Mercedes which had radar emergency braking. It definitely had phantom braking at a specific location where there was a railroad overpass and the road drops to go under it. As you approached it, the radar would pick up the overpass and it would hit the brakes consistently.

My current Tesla I guess is happy enough to let me drive into it. :)
Is that through vision only or does your Tesla still uses radar?

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Today was the first time I went through a carpool at my child’s school in almost a year and a half. This year the school refused to offer the online instruction option, so I’m back to having to go through the carpool.

It dawned on me that an autonomous driving car (let alone a bunch of autonomous cars together) would not be able to go through a carpool, having to navigate around curvy curbs while being in two very tightly packed lanes, having to follow hand gestures of the teachers directing traffic, being able to merge from the public road onto the correct lane of the carpool, being able to perform a zipper merge routine, being able to stop where it’s told by the teachers, let the kids walk in front and behind the car, make sure that the child gets in the car before leaving the school grounds or if the child doesn’t get in the car when he is supposed to, the car should pull over to the side and wait for the child to find it.

in other words, a simple carpool is a task that autonomous driving won’t be able to achieve in probably at least 50 years, which renders the entire idea of fully autonomous driving systems completely void. You can’t have a fully autonomous system certified by the government that can’t carry out certain tasks that humans do in their daily routines.

I don’t know why the idea of the autonomous driving system not being able to go through a carpool never occurred to me before. I can only wonder how many other scenarios that I never thought of exist.

Last edited:

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
At this pace, by the time Apple releases its autonomous driving cars to the public, Alphabeta would have already been there for 3+ years and taken up the whole market, leaving no space for Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.