Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

appstore.png
Earlier this year, Apple introduced two alternate pricing tiers, Tier A and Tier B, to the App Store in order to allow developers to charge lower prices in countries like China, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Russia, South Africa, and Turkey.

As of today, Apple has informed developers that it is making its lower-priced Tier A and Tier B pricing options available in Australia. Tier A and Tier B pricing will allow developers to set prices below the current 1.49AUD minimum price.

The addition of Tier A and Tier B pricing options in Australia comes a few days after Apple raised App Store prices in the country. Earlier this week, the minimum app price in Australia was raised to 1.49AUD from 1.29AUD due to exchange rate fluctuations.

An app that costs $0.99 in the U.S. App Store costs 1.49AUD in Australia at Tier 1 rates, but developers will now be able to charge $0.99 in the United States while charging a lower price in Australia and the other countries listed above.

When Apple notified Australian customers about the rate change, it also let them know that developers would have the option to use Tier A and Tier B pricing options. Apps that previously used Tier A and Tier B pricing will already be cheaper in the Australian App Store.

App Store pricing was also increased in Indonesia and Sweden, and Mac prices have also risen in a number of countries this week.

Article Link: Apple Expands Lower App Store Pricing Tiers to Australia

beebarb

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
Still angry about the change.
Oh, the difference is minor with apps in the old $1.29-6.99 range, but it gets worse as the general app prices increase.

A previously $129.99 app on the Mac App store, is suddenly $159.99.
These lower priced tiers are like sticking a band-aid on a gaping wound, and saying 'It's gonna be okay'.

They picked the absolute worst time to implement these pricing adjustments.

appledefenceforce

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
Still angry about the change.
Oh, the difference is minor with apps in the old $1.29-6.99 range, but it gets worse as the general app prices increase.

A previously $129.99 app on the Mac App store, is suddenly $159.99.
These lower priced tiers are like sticking a band-aid on a gaping wound, and saying 'It's gonna be okay'.

They picked the absolute worst time to implement these pricing adjustments.

I agree with your sentiment when it comes to their hardwares. But when it comes to software it's hard to just blame Apple because Apple has to pay developers too.

beebarb

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
I agree with your sentiment when it comes to their hardwares. But when it comes to software it's hard to just blame Apple because Apple has to pay developers too.
But, the developers were already being paid what they deserved, and wanted to be charging consumers.

This is a price hike that will see people in my country in some cases paying 50% more than amercians when taking the exchange rate into account.

I'd much rather pay a developer directly, than deal with Apple's needless padding.
I compared the same app on iOS and Android, and got these results:

Google Play: $16.99
iOS (before hike): $19.99
iOS (after hike): $24.99

How is that justifiable?

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
But, the developers were already being paid what they deserved, and wanted to be charging consumers.

This is a price hike that will see people in my country in some cases paying 50% more than amercians when taking the exchange rate into account.

I'd much rather pay a developer directly, than deal with Apple's needless padding.
I compared the same app on iOS and Android, and got these results:

Google Play: $16.99
iOS (before hike): $19.99
iOS (after hike): $24.99

How is that justifiable?
Apple have just become too expensive for me. Won't be buying Apple products next time round...

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Ah....
Gonna be a chance to buy fewer apps.
And more, fewer contents.
And go get them elsewhere.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'm in the US so this doesn't effect me, but why doesn't apple just let the developer choose what they want to charge in one currency and then sell it in other country's stores at whatever the price is based on current exchange rates.

beebarb

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
I'm in the US so this doesn't effect me, but why doesn't apple just let the developer choose what they want to charge in one currency and then sell it in other country's stores at whatever the price is based on current exchange rates.

Because they are greedy corporate types that stopped honoring the exchange rate years ago.

Reactions: pauliaK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.