Apple Expands Transit Directions in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and Michigan

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 15, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple recently updated its Maps app to expand the availability of transit directions to several new states.

Transit data is now available in areas of Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and Michigan. Apple previously offered transit directions in Detroit, Michigan, but availability has expanded across the state.

[​IMG]

Transit directions are new in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. Full transit lines are not yet being displayed in the Maps app, but the transit directions are active.

Apple has been rolling out transit directions to major cities across the United States and around the world, but in recent weeks has concentrated on expanding it further in various states.

Transit directions were first added to Apple Maps in 2015 with the launch of iOS 9 and were initially limited to a few cities, but Apple has been introducing the feature in new markets at a steady pace.

Transit information is now live in dozens of cities and countries around the world, with a full list available on Apple's iOS Feature Availability website.

(Thanks, Ram!)

Article Link: Apple Expands Transit Directions in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and Michigan

2. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Holy crap. I never thought I’d see this day. Not that we really have public transit here. We have like 3 buses that run to the hospital and downtown.

If Apple can get us LTE cell phone service and Uber and GrubHub, that’d be great.

3. noraa macrumors regular

I know Apple Maps gets a lot of crap (some of it justified), but their transit directions are really, really good.

4. nutmac macrumors 68040

I lived in New Hampshire for a couple of years. TIL that New Hampshire, Maine, and Vermont have public transportations.

5. cristianvaldez macrumors newbie

I'm still waiting for Santiago de Chile being supported. There are tons of resources that Apple can use here, we have great technology. We need Apple Pay and Apple Maps Transit directions here!

6. Creek0512 macrumors 6502

Also expanded transit directions in western Massachusetts.

7. bchery21 macrumors 6502a

bchery21

I drove through Vermont not too long ago on my way up to Montreal. The mountains and greenery were nice to see, but that’s about it...

8. lunarworks macrumors 65816

I've been told Vermont is where those who don't want to be part of society go.

9. 2010mini macrumors 68040

10. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502a

Mac-lover3

Transit is also coming out soon for Belgium and probably Munich en Zürich as well!
    --- Post Merged, Aug 15, 2018 ---
    For California when iOS 12 is released, the rest of the USA will follow. The rest of the world we don’t know...

11. truthertech macrumors 65816

Again, writers need to quite referring to transit directions being live in "dozens of cities" when Apple has never rolled out directions just for cities. They roll it out by region; hence there are not dozens of cities but literally thousands of cities, some entire states and countries. Apple could have turned them all on at once if they wanted to do what Google did and simply import data, but Google has been criticized for poor transit directions so Apple took a much longer and more expensive path of customizing each system. That's why they have been getting great applause for their transit. Here's a great article that explains Apple's approach versus the competition.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/16/07/07/why-apples-transit-maps-are-rolling-out-so-slowly

12. widget999 macrumors newbie

Is that just a guess or do you have a source for munich?

13. chrisgeleven, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018

chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

Manchester does (http://www.mtabus.org/). It's not great (would take me 30 min to get home...almost the same time for walking, but it's a 7 minute drive if I drive), but it's there.

14. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

It's this specific writer. She just keeps re-using the same words she wrote several years ago. I realize that time is precious and MacRumors pay is low; but c'mon, please do right by your readers and update the boilerplate language every year or so. At this point, these old obsolete words are just misinformation.

15. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502a

Mac-lover3

Look at the Public Transport view in Apple Maps and you see that they have started to highlight buildings of trains etc often the whole info follows in a month or 2. So a source no but it’s the way they work 80% of the time.

16. dreyp82 macrumors newbie

17. mercybelcher macrumors member

Hi,
    I have a question for you, where did you find this information. "Transit is also coming out soon for Belgium and probably Munich en Zürich as well!"

18. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502a

Mac-lover3

As I mentioned to someone else in these regions you can see that Apple has been highlighting Public Transit zones in red for. This has been Apple’s way of putting it for a while now once those are visible often it’s about 1 to 2 months before the complete rollout.

19. AronDraws macrumors regular

AronDraws

I'm from Maine, and I honestly don't recall any public transit. Guess next time I visit, I'll have to check out the app!

20. CIA macrumors 6502a

Ha, came here to say the same.. Used to live in VT and NH, never knew we had public transit. (Outside of Manchester NH)

21. mercybelcher macrumors member

I don't see Public Transit zones in red because I can't find it. Can you please take a screenshot of the apple map.

22. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502a

Mac-lover3

IMG_0430.png IMG_0429.png

There are quite a few more but for Munich it's still early days.

23. mercybelcher macrumors member

24. Creek0512 macrumors 6502

It won’t be that soon, the station outlines only started appearing in Munich a week or 2 ago. Whereas they’ve been showing in Hamburg, Bremen, Niedersachsen, and Schleswig-Holstein since sometime last year, so I’d expect those states to get added befor Munich. Same thing for Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Latvia, and Lithuania, they’ve all be showing evidence of transit directions for months.

25. flylcarusfly macrumors newbie

flylcarusfly

It does change rapidly. As you've said, they've had station outlines in parts of Germany for a while. They've even had station outlines around Manila, Hong Kong, and a few here and there in Barcelona. The amount of detail at the stations seems to be a better indicator. The ones that have the more translucent red building outlines with the solid red outlines for the platforms tend to be the ones that get released sooner. I'd guess Belgium and Switzerland will be released next for that reason with Sweden, Norway, Finland, Latvia, and Lithuania being released after that. There's some station outlines around Portugal now too.