Apple Expands Transit Directions to New Areas, Introduces More Indoor Maps for Malls and Airports

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 5, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Transit directions for Apple Maps have recently expanded to encompass the entirety of multiple states and countries, Apple today confirmed in an update to its Feature Availability page.

Transit directions are now available across all of Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, North Dakota, New York, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Dakota, and Texas.

[​IMG]

In many of these locations, transit information has been available for a few weeks, but Apple is often slow to confirm with updates to its Feature Availability page. Several of the above-listed locations also had transit directions in a few major cities, but transit information is now available statewide.

Transit directions have also expanded to encompass all of Australia, and as was discovered in January, transit information is available in Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden.

Apple has introduced indoor maps three new airports, including Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL), Newcastle International Airport (NCL), and Milano Linate Airport (LIN).

Indoor maps have also expanded to quite a few malls in the cities listed below:

[*]Bellingham, WA
    [*]Bloomington, IN
    [*]Boulder, CO
    [*]Brookvale, Australia
    [*]Burwood, Australia
    [*]Carindale, Australia
    [*]Cheltenham, Australia
    [*]Chermside, Australia
    [*]Castel Guelfo di Bologna, Italy
    [*]Chiyoda, Japan
    [*]Denver, CO
    [*]Eastgardens, Australia
    [*]Edinburgh, IN
    [*]Evansville, IN
    [*]Greenwood, IN
    [*]Hoover, AL
    [*]Hornsby, Australia
    [*]Hurstville, Australia
    [*]Jonesboro, AR
    [*]Lakewood, CO
    [*]Littleton, CO
    [*]Liverpool, Australia
    [*]Lone Tree, CO
    [*]Lynnwood, WA
    [*]Manchester, NH
    [*]Merrimack, Australia
    [*]Miranda, Australia
    [*]Minato-Ku, Japan
    [*]Moline, IL
    [*]North Little Rock, AR
    [*]Parramatta, Australia
    [*]Penrith, Australia
    [*]Rogers, AR
    [*]Salem, NH
    [*]Seattle, WA
    [*]Shibuya, Japan
    [*]Spokane Valley, WA
    [*]Spokane, WA
    [*]Suita-Shi, Japan
    [*]Sydney, Australia
    [*]Toshima, Japan
    [*]Upper Mount Gravatt, Australia
    [*]Vancouver, WA
    [*]Vicolungo, ItalyIndoor maps for malls and airports were introduced in iOS 11, providing full layouts of each mall or airport location with icons for restaurants, elevators, bathrooms, shops, and other notable landmarks. Different floors are clearly marked, making it easy to navigate through unknown areas.

A full list of all of the airports and mall locations where the Apple Maps indoor mapping feature is available can be found on Apple's Feature Availability website, which also houses a list of all of the locations where transit directions are available.

Article Link: Apple Expands Transit Directions to New Areas, Introduces More Indoor Maps for Malls and Airports

2. brendu macrumors 68020

Is that picture really what maps looks like in landscape mode? Has apple not updated it so the buttons aren’t obscured by the notch?

3. chabig macrumors 603

I don't have a problem with those buttons.

4. Benjamid macrumors member

Benjamid

No one saying that Norway has public transport added for two weeks now. Loved it when that happened:)

5. markaceto macrumors member

markaceto

They're holding it wrong!

6. cmmncw macrumors newbie

If you go over to Apple’s feature availability page the article links to, the page lists transit as available for all 50 U.S. states plus DC. Why do they list out all 50 states individually? Why not just write “United States” and save writing out 51 seperate entries? Super cluttered.

7. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

That seems like quite a random sampling of malls from around the world. How does Apple decide which malls to list - do the mall operators have to pay-to-play?

8. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

They don’t pay but mall operators do need to be involved. I think you’ll find that of the malls listed, they’re probably operated by many of the same property managers.

9. pika2000 macrumors 601

I hope Apple put more efforts for map support in Asia, and not just Japan. Too bad many real estate and property owners in Asia are old school businesses, not caring about these kind of things.

10. simonmet, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

The way Maps dims the area around malls at certain scales is very irritating. The mall itself need only be barely within view yet it still dims everything else you’re trying to see. Yes that tiny white notch in the corner of the first pic is the mall Maps is asking if I want to browse.

This is a problem. Why a unique boundary or special highlighting of the mall (without reducing visibility of the rest of the map) can’t be used is beyond me. These are rookie mistakes (still). The mall should at least reach a central part of the frame before dimming surrounding areas, if at all.

Attached Files:

11. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

No, it's not. It just a X frame that was poorly superimposed on a iPhone 8 Plus screenshot. This is more accurate.

12. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Nice to see Apple continuing to add and update Maps. Keep it coming Apple.

13. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

Nobody will ever know for sure. They turned it the wrong way and committed a felony the world over. Some things like that are law. The top of the phone falls left, by law. Just like brushing your teeth requires you to wet the brush, apply the toothpaste, and wet that boy again before brushing. Law.

14. gwhizkids, Feb 6, 2019

gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

My local transit system (HART) in Connecticut is not included. So I think Apple is overstating this a bit.

15. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Even though I think this is meant to be sarcastic you are right most of the time, most people are right handed, the easiest way to get to landscape is turning counter clockwise, so the notch is on the other side.

16. MozMan68, Feb 6, 2019

MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

...but CT Rail is...I'm not sure every city gets the same level of "transit" like NYC or SF does.

But yeah, I would think HART should be in there based on what they said.

edit: CT Transit (bus) also comes up.

edit #2: Google Maps doesn't show HART either though...I'm guessing it has something to do with HART and not the mapping systems. They have to agree to share their info.

17. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

Seems to be favoring the larger, coast-wise systems. That's fine, but don't claim the whole state is in the system. HART covers nearly 15% of the state's geography (but a relatively small population). But it does tie in with Metro North, so I'm surprised its not in the system. You're probably correct that it is a HART issue not an Apple issue.

18. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

Yeah...I remember when they first starting doing transit, they explained how it all has to be tied into the transit companies database somehow so the latest updates, delays, line work notifications, etc. show up properly.

It also sounded like Google and other transit apps weren't necessarily doing that...relying more on predetermined timetables or user updates.

Apple may be delayed to offering certain features like this, but when they do, it does seem they go about it properly for better long term success IMHO.

19. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

I'm sure one of the big issues is a lack of a uniform electronic time-table format. For kicks, I've tweeted at HART to find out if they're going to be playing ball or not. My guess, for a resource constrained small regional system, is no.

20. iOS Geek macrumors member

I definitely agree that it's more on their end than Apple's end. It makes sense that Apple would only put up what they are given. For reasons known mainly to the individual place. Like SFO (San Francisco International Airport) for example. It's one of the few international airports in the United States (along with Anchorage and Fairbanks in Alaska, and Fort Myers and Melbourne-Orlando in Florida), that do not yet have indoor maps. (and I know there are more than what I listed, but those ones came right off the top of my head since those are all frequent airports for me. Fairbanks, Fort Myers, and Melbourne-Orlando are all smaller airports, but they are still classified as international instead of "regional" so I would think those will all gain the feature eventually. It would make sense from an airport operator standpoint). SFO really sticks out to me though. That's a pretty significant airport to NOT have on the indoor maps list.

21. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

Especially given how often Apple employees likely fly out of there!

22. iOS Geek macrumors member

Exactly! But I have noticed that SFO used to have indoor maps on other sites, (and more detailed ones on their own site), so I wonder what pushed the decision to change that. To me, it definitely says that while Apple may want these features, they definitely aren't pushing locations to do it. Which is good. As much as it would help navigating some of these places, it's ultimately up to them. And in the case of SFO, who knows...it might be for security reasons. I go through SFO so much, I could find where I'm going with my eyes closed. So for me, whether or not it has indoor maps, isn't a deal breaker for me. But other people really could benefit.

23. flylcarusfly macrumors newbie

flylcarusfly

I noticed there's a number of small transit agencies missing in "covered" states. The Wave in Mobile, AL and Citylink in Kootenai County, ID are two that I've seen missing. I'm sure there's more.