Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Anyone that thought it was going to be free is a fool. I just hope Apple prices it better than everyone else. I think Amazon is $20 for 20 GB a year. Apple should price it $15 for 20 GB a year

ThePimento

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
Texas
$20/Year isn't bad at all. That's about $1.67 per month. However, unless they have a 'must-have' feature, I'll be sticking with AudioGalaxy to stream my iTunes library to my iPhone via 3G/WiFi.

That also depends on how much storage I get. My library is currently around 115GB. If they do what they're talking about (just have Apple's service look at your library and load tracks), that would be fine. That's what Lala used to do.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Amazon is poised to pwn both Apple and Google on that one.

If MobileMe is any indication, Apple just doesn't get cloud - if they plan on charging for it, Amazon is happy to take their business - they'll sell you plain mp3s for the boot!

Android wins in any case!

Reddmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
$20 a year seems pretty reasonable,if it were $20 per month that would be a different story.

h0mi

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2007
$20 a year on top of the $100 a year for mobileme would not be appealing. If the $100 a year for mobileme goes away, that's different.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005

If MobileMe is any indication, Apple just doesn't get cloud - if they plan on charging for it, Amazon is happy to take their business - they'll sell you plain mp3s for the boot!

Android wins in any case!

and amazon is getting sued :D. aka, will start to charge customers more to recoup the costs.

Also, enjoy playing your amazon cloud on any apple device.

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
MobileMe

I hope MobileMe will be free. Syncing with Google via exchange on iOS is decent but there are too many quirks, like not being able to put in custom fields for contacts phone numbers and email addresses (i.e. John Home), and archiving messages when the trash can button is pressed, etc. Also, I want to move away from google calendar because it has been so unreliable these days. So sick of seeing "Oops, we were unable to save this event. Please try again later" after I just spent 2 minutes typing it all in.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Apple is expected to charge customers a fee in order to use its forthcoming cloud-based music storage service

No *****! :rolleyes: In other news, the sun rose in the east today!

Seriously, who expected it to be free? The real question is, will it be rolled in for current MM subscribers, or will it be a separate service or tag-on fee?

D 5

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
Why is Apple always trying to make money with all their products and services, what other company does this ;)

Why can't all Apple products and services be free, I deserve it :D

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

Agreed. I can foresee this being another poorly made mobileme addon which is pure crap to use if you are outside the US (due to immensely slow network connectivity from Apple's servers).

Amazon will rule the cloud since they have been doing it for so long, and have multiple DC's in the US and Europe. Apple are at least 10 years behind here and will have a hell of a hard time getting to Amazons level.

kerryb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
if you want free...

There are lots of free services out there although maybe none that will be seamless as an Apple offering. Free is only free if you want to be bombarded with ads Google style. So far I don't see any value in the service based on rumors so I will wait for the official word before making my opinion known.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
You wouldn't consider paying $20 per YEAR?

I'm amazed how people always expect to get everything for free ... they want to have the best of the best without paying anything because the think they just 'deserve' it ...

Hell, why would you assume they are not charging for it?

The usual pattern is to get some small teaser for free (either time limited or small storage amount) to get you hooked and when you like it you pay for it. [Just like I got hooked on the free dropbox and now pay for the 100GB plan because I love it so much]

And seriously: $20/year is almost free.

blubyu

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
I'll stick to streaming audio AND video flawlessly off my own PC and have complete control and plenty of storage for free, using a $5 (one time charge) app. I see no benefits of the Apple cloud based scenario. But I can see huge disadvantages if Apple, in it's attempt to make money off this service, intentionally limits internal storage capacity in future devices.

Tony

Can you point me to were you are getting your 2TB hard drives for free? :cool:

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
this is APPLE we are talking about. nothing is free and nothing is cheap.

No one is expecting it to be free, but there better be more than what can be done for less. Apple likes to throw stuff and hope fanboys will pay without question. I am all for paying but not if there is nothing there but what other are offering for less or even free.

Reminds me of the New York Times and wanting payed subscription. Sure I will pay if there is benefit like them actually doing news and not just copy paste stories. You want my money you have to offer me real quality and substance as I figure most who are not from the Apple fanboys club will agree. :rolleyes:

Those who are use to playing for nothing are different to those like me who only pay for quality and substance because I can go somewhere else for the same service. :cool:

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Why is Apple always trying to make money with all their products and services, what other company does this ;)

Why can't all Apple products and services be free, I deserve it :D

Free MacBook for you ... you deserve it :rolleyes: ... lets sue any company that dares to charge for their products, that is an invasion of my wallet.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
and amazon is getting sued :D. aka, will start to charge customers more to recoup the costs.

Also, enjoy playing your amazon cloud on any apple device.

If there is one thing Amazon doesn't need to worry about - it's the lawyers, they got plenty of them!

Plus, even if they charge a bit more to recoup the costs - they have huge advantage in that a) they are already there and b) they aren't cloud n00bs with one freshly baked data center close only to the US :)

And who said anything about Apple devices? Apparently, not many people are concerned about that one :p

boodyup

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Seriously, can you do anything without Apple getting their cut? It seems odd that you would buy music from them then have to pay to store it. It's like earning your paycheck after income and state tax are taken out and then buying something with the money and getting charged sales tax on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.