Apple Expected to Launch Subscription News Service Within Next Year Following Texture Acquisition

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple plans to offer a subscription-based news service within the next year, according to Mark Gurman, reporting for Bloomberg News. Apple declined to comment on the report, as it has not announced the plans publicly.

[​IMG]

The service is said to be based on subscription-based digital magazine app Texture, which is expected to be integrated into the Apple News app on iPhone and iPad, pending approval of Apple's agreement to acquire the company.

Texture provides unlimited access to over 200 digital magazines for $9.99 per month. Available magazine titles include People, Vogue, Rolling Stone, National Geographic, GQ, Sports Illustrated, Wired, Maxim, Men's Health, GQ, Bloomberg Businessweek, ESPN The Magazine, and Entertainment Weekly.

"We are committed to quality journalism from trusted sources and allowing magazines to keep producing beautifully designed and engaging stories for users," said Apple's services chief Eddy Cue, on Apple acquiring Texture.

The service would essentially be like Apple Music, which provides unlimited streaming of over 45 million songs for $9.99 per month, but for news and magazines. The revenue would help boost Apple's growing services division, including the App Store and iCloud, while a cut would also go to publishers.

The premium tier would likely complement the existing ad-supported content available within the Apple News app, which is currently available in the United States, Australia, and the United Kingdom on iOS 9 and later.

Apple previously offered a Newsstand app with digital magazines and newspapers, but subscriptions were only available on a title-by-title basis.

Article Link: Apple Expected to Launch Subscription News Service Within Next Year Following Texture Acquisition

2. profets macrumors 601

Please. Expand. News. To. Other. Countries.

Seriously, didn't News.app launch with iOS 9? They're able to push so quickly with some things (hardware, carriers, Music) to hundreds of countries but News seems stuck in just a few locales. Heck, even Pay is available in more places.

3. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Perhaps it's just me, and perhaps I'm out of touch, and perhaps I'm totally wrong.
    but does this not have "Fail" written all over it ?

4. Mascots macrumors 65832

Mascots

Why?

Adding additional subscription based services that play to the strengths of iPad seems to be a no brainer.

Plus Apple News has been a success in its limited launch.

5. Firelock macrumors member

Firelock

If it works like they describe here, then probably, yes. I’m an avid reader and love Apples News app. But given most magazine subscriptions only cost $10 to $15 a year, I would have to regularly subscribe, or want to subscribe, to more than 12 magazines a year to get value from this plan. Right now my wife and I subscribe to four magazines (Nat Geo, Smithsonian, Discover, and Wired) and that is probably way more than most people and we barely have time to keep up with those.

6. Someyoungguy macrumors regular

Well, sort of. It has "Apple to ignore in the near future" written all over it.

7. asiga macrumors 6502a

Nowadays equation:
    Apple in 2018 = Services + UserData + PoliticsLobbying + UsersMustAcceptAllPopUps + PrematureObsolescence

As opposed to:
    Apple in 2000 = UserFreedom + RespectUsersChoices + UserPower + BestOSEver + LongTimeInvestment

So yes, a magazine service fits nicely with the "Apple in 2018" equation.

8. harriska2 macrumors 6502

harriska2

Yikes, are they going to make the apple news app pay only? I love that thing. It’s how I read MacRumors.

9. threesixty360 macrumors regular

If they are smart they will just add this to the standard Apple Music package and mimic cable bundling.

There must be heavy users of Apple Music and light users all paying 10 dollars a month. So why not siphon off some of that revenue to pay for news subscription part?

That way you will be providing additional incentive to bring people who wouldn’t normally buy a music service or a tv service but will go for it in a bundle. It’s pretty much what Amazon do with prime. Just bundle it all and use the weaker users to offset the cost for the heavy users.

10. Villarrealadrian macrumors member

Perhaps...

11. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

The news app was the first to get deleted once we gained the ability to delete stock apps.

12. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Offer Apple news, music and video as some combo bundle deal. I can see this succeeding just through the sole weight of the Apple ecosystem.

13. Shaun, UK Suspended

Shaun, UK

No, this is a very clever move from Apple. I currently pay £9/month for Readly because it’s much cheaper than subscribing to each individual maagazine. I read a lot of magazines on my iPad.

14. Shaun, UK Suspended

Shaun, UK

I would be very interested in the newspapers part. Currently I pay £30/month for a PressReader subscription because it’s the only service I’ve found that lets me download and read newspapers in their original paper-like format on my iPad. It sounds a lot but it’s actually cheaper than buying a couple of printed newspaper every day.

15. notabadname macrumors 65816

notabadname

I love my Texture sub. Lots of content for $9.99

16. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

17. Shaun, UK Suspended

Shaun, UK

Selling more subscription services to existing customers is going to be Apple’s lifeline as hardware sales plateau. You can just imagine the possibilities.. £10/month for Apple Music, £10/month for Apple News+Magazines, £10/month for Apple Video, £10/month for Apple Books. Soon adds up.

18. mytdave macrumors 6502a

Apple, why are you wasting time & resources on this? Focus on the damn Mac already!!

Oh, and you might want to give some attention to HomeKit too (and some marketing) cause nobody outside of forums like this even knows it exists.

19. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

They have 123k people working for them. Surely they can do all three at the same time.

20. Machead2012 macrumors regular

They just lost Apple Music's Hip-Hop programming head Carl Chery who is leaving to join Spotify and now this bone head move. Nice.

21. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

No way will Apple’s original video content be separate from Apple Music. Especially now with Spotify and Hulu joining forces. My guess is Apple will offer an Apple Music + Video subscription for $15/mo.

22. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

I’m quite partial to a “beautifully designed story”, ideally one with rounded corners, edge to edge text and with the typeface in rose gold.

23. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

If Apple was smart they would create a subscription service that included hardware and services. Let people pick and chose what they want as part of their subscription. And with the hardware they could model it after the iPhone upgrade program.

24. JRobinsonJr, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018

JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502

Of course they can! So... why don't they?

25. DevNull0 macrumors 68000

On the other hand they typically make about 30% margin on these services after paying licensing, since they're basically the "retailers" selling someone else's content.

If they sell me a $2000 MBP at a 50% margin, they make $1000 profit from me. If they sell me 3 services at $10/month each, they make $9/month from me and I have to remain subscribed for 1000/9 / 12 = 9.25 years before Apple makes the same profit. And that ignores that with the MBP sale they get the entire $1000 up front and over 9 years I'm going to buy more than one MBP. I currently still have a 2009 and 2012 Mac Mini. Based on my purchase history of minis. Apple has lost 2 mini sales to me so far by not updating the product. Even if I go all in on their services, they will never make as much from me in services as they have lost in hardware.

Apple is much better off focusing on making a decent MBP rather than dividing all their efforts on services that don't make them a whole lot of money compared to hardware.

Same logic works for the iPhones Apple is letting stagnate while Google/Samsung lap them. There is very little difference between an iPhone 8 and iPhone 6s. Camera improvements and a faster CPU only go so far at improving the user experience. They're blowing potential upgrade customers, and they're not going to make it up on magazine subscriptions.