Apple Expected to Lease 'Massive' Office in Seattle With Space for Up to 4,200 Employees

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 12, 2019 at 7:58 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple plans to lease a large office complex in Seattle's booming South Lake Union neighborhood, near Amazon, according to multiple commercial real estate sources cited by the Puget Sound Business Journal.

[​IMG]
    333 Dexter

The report claims the two-tower development at 333 Dexter Avenue would give Apple around 630,000 square feet of office space, enough for 4,200 employees using the industry standard of 150 square feet per employee. It is unclear whether Apple has signed the lease yet or if negotiations are still ongoing.

In late 2018, Apple announced plans to establish a new site in Seattle, and it may have been alluding to this office. Apple also plans to expand its Seattle workforce to more than 1,000 employees by 2021, perhaps explaining why data-crunching website Thinknum is seeing an uptick in Siri job openings at the company.

Apple has been steadily growing its presence in Seattle over the past five years. In 2017, Apple confirmed that its Seattle engineering hub is focused on artificial intelligence and machine learning, technologies that power the likes of Siri and advanced facial recognition on the iPhone X and newer.

Last year, Apple reportedly expanded its office space at Two Union Square, a 56-story tower in Downtown Seattle.

Apple's artificial intelligence efforts are led by former Google executive John Giannandrea.

Article Link: Apple Expected to Lease 'Massive' Office in Seattle With Space for Up to 4,200 Employees

2. calstanford macrumors regular

Everything inside the US. No engineering offices anywhere else in the world is so odd compared to Google who does tons of work in Europe (London, Dublin, Zurich, Munich...), Asia (Taipei, Tokyo, India, Shanghai...) or Aus (Sydney)

3. boccabella macrumors regular

Looking forward to learn how much this deal cost Seattle taxpayers.

4. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

And yet Apple trounces Google in profitability.

Maybe Google should consider moving their engineering teams back to the US so they can design some decent hardware?

5. gwhizkids macrumors 601

gwhizkids

Apple is getting good at putting engineering centers near competitors: one in San Diego near Qualcomm and now this one near Amazon. Looking to poach a few, I'd say (excuse me, hire employees who used to work for those companies and have relevant expertise!)

6. OriginalMacRat macrumors 6502

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/03/17/apple-to-build-two-additional-rd-centers-in-china/

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/12/apple-r-d-shenzhen-china-center/

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/03/31/apple-opens-app-accelerator-india/

7. csurfr macrumors 68020

And of course the other side effects. . . more traffic and people that don't talk to one another.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2019 at 8:28 AM ---
    Don't forget Google. They are about to take occupancy in two new buildings here as well.

8. JetTester macrumors 6502

How many more future homeless people can Seattle hold????

9. bb9 macrumors member

bb9

And even more side effect:
    - More people with good salary who can spend more of their money on local business and economy.
    - Local employment will go up because more supporting businesses will do better.
    - And maybe your sons and daughters would not have to leave town to find good jobs.

God forbid people should look at the possible side of things!

10. ElectricPotato macrumors regular

ElectricPotato

There are plenty of homeless already here and willing to talk to you.

11. csurfr macrumors 68020

Do you live in Seattle?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2019 at 8:36 AM ---
    The homeless are about the only people that talk. Coming from a recent article, over 40% of the people who live here could care less if they ever talk to anyone new. I've been in the same building for nearly 3 years and have seen a total of *maybe* 6 people. It's weird.

12. gavroche macrumors 65816

gavroche

Is this the building the crane fell off the roof a couple weeks ago and killed a couple people in cars?

13. csurfr macrumors 68020

No. That was the one of the two new Google Cloud buildings.

14. ElectricPotato macrumors regular

ElectricPotato

That's the current reality of downtown: strangers who talk to you are homeless, religious or activist, all of whom want something from you. Another 4K tech workers added to existing buildings (edit, existing developments) will hardly be noticed.

The wary sentiment toward newcomers is familiar to my time in Austin, with equal results (none). Things change.

15. HiVolt macrumors 6502a

HiVolt

16. Blackwell macrumors member

Blackwell

Plenty of room, on the starboard side of I-5 is an example of fine housing for the homeless, been there for over 30 years, well maybe 25...

17. csurfr macrumors 68020

I think that's what I like about West Seattle. You have more of that feeling of community. People say good morning when you pass them on the street. Here in Capitol Hill, people look at me like I'm nuts if I say good morning.

18. ElectricPotato macrumors regular

ElectricPotato

I agree completely about West Seattle. It feels like a neighborhood instead of the industrial/commercial/tourist zoo of downtown.

19. brettj.k macrumors newbie

Maybe they’ll put an apple store in the first floor of the building....wishful thinking but the downtown Seattle area desperately needs one.

20. csurfr macrumors 68020

I agree it would be convenient to have one downtown, mainly because the one in U Village is always slammed. Of course, if they put one in SLU it would undoubtedly be hammered at all hours as well. Bellevue Square is usually pretty quick for service. They helped me out a lot with my 2018 MacBook Pro.

21. strayts macrumors member

Man I remember when that neighborhood was a mess. And it wasn't even that long ago!

22. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502a

DocMultimedia

I'd just like to know what these thousands of people do. Apple just keeps getting bigger and bigger, but output doesn't seem to keep up with input.

23. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Thing about South Lake Union is it's - historically, at least - relatively difficult to get to via transit compared to other parts of Seattle. They have the SLUT, but getting to that in the first place is not as convenient as it could be. Given all the growth happening down there, though, I hope they've got plans to address that.

People complain about Seattle making life more difficult for drivers the past several years, but (even though I drove today rather than take the train, like I usually do) I say screw them. Single bus-only lanes aren't a real solution - make some of the roads completely bus-only.

24. Florpy macrumors newbie

Florpy

That "mess" is where a large number of Seattle's arts organizations and artists once worked. While some organizations have relocated, many are no longer in existence, and artists are fewer and fewer.