Apple Expected to Lease 'Massive' Office in Seattle With Space for Up to 4,200 Employees

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to lease a large office complex in Seattle's booming South Lake Union neighborhood, near Amazon, according to multiple commercial real estate sources cited by the Puget Sound Business Journal.

333 Dexter

The report claims the two-tower development at 333 Dexter Avenue would give Apple around 630,000 square feet of office space, enough for 4,200 employees using the industry standard of 150 square feet per employee. It is unclear whether Apple has signed the lease yet or if negotiations are still ongoing.

In late 2018, Apple announced plans to establish a new site in Seattle, and it may have been alluding to this office. Apple also plans to expand its Seattle workforce to more than 1,000 employees by 2021, perhaps explaining why data-crunching website Thinknum is seeing an uptick in Siri job openings at the company.

Apple has been steadily growing its presence in Seattle over the past five years. In 2017, Apple confirmed that its Seattle engineering hub is focused on artificial intelligence and machine learning, technologies that power the likes of Siri and advanced facial recognition on the iPhone X and newer.

Last year, Apple reportedly expanded its office space at Two Union Square, a 56-story tower in Downtown Seattle.

Apple's artificial intelligence efforts are led by former Google executive John Giannandrea.

Article Link: Apple Expected to Lease 'Massive' Office in Seattle With Space for Up to 4,200 Employees

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
Everything inside the US. No engineering offices anywhere else in the world is so odd compared to Google who does tons of work in Europe (London, Dublin, Zurich, Munich...), Asia (Taipei, Tokyo, India, Shanghai...) or Aus (Sydney)
And yet Apple trounces Google in profitability.

Maybe Google should consider moving their engineering teams back to the US so they can design some decent hardware?

Comment

gwhizkids

macrumors 603
Jun 21, 2013
Apple is getting good at putting engineering centers near competitors: one in San Diego near Qualcomm and now this one near Amazon. Looking to poach a few, I'd say (excuse me, hire employees who used to work for those companies and have relevant expertise!)

Comment

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
Everything inside the US. No engineering offices anywhere else in the world is so odd compared to Google who does tons of work in Europe (London, Dublin, Zurich, Munich...), Asia (Taipei, Tokyo, India, Shanghai...) or Aus (Sydney)
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/03/17/apple-to-build-two-additional-rd-centers-in-china/

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/12/apple-r-d-shenzhen-china-center/

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/03/31/apple-opens-app-accelerator-india/

Comment

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Looking forward to learn how much this deal cost Seattle taxpayers.
And of course the other side effects. . . more traffic and people that don't talk to one another.
[doublepost=1560353307][/doublepost]
Apple is getting good at putting engineering centers near competitors: one in San Diego near Qualcomm and now this one near Amazon. Looking to poach a few, I'd say (excuse me, hire employees who used to work for those companies and have relevant expertise!)
Don't forget Google. They are about to take occupancy in two new buildings here as well.

Reactions: Justin Lawless
Comment

bb9

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2017
And of course the other side effects. . . more traffic and people that don't talk to one another.
And even more side effect:
- More people with good salary who can spend more of their money on local business and economy.
- Local employment will go up because more supporting businesses will do better.
- And maybe your sons and daughters would not have to leave town to find good jobs.

God forbid people should look at the possible side of things!

Comment

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
And even more side effect:
- More people with good salary who can spend more of their money on local business and economy.
- Local employment will go up because more supporting businesses will do better.
- And maybe your sons and daughters would not have to leave town to find good jobs.

God forbid people should look at the possible side of things!
Do you live in Seattle?
[doublepost=1560353772][/doublepost]
There are plenty of homeless already here and willing to talk to you.
The homeless are about the only people that talk. Coming from a recent article, over 40% of the people who live here could care less if they ever talk to anyone new. I've been in the same building for nearly 3 years and have seen a total of *maybe* 6 people. It's weird.

Comment

ElectricPotato

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
Seattle
The homeless are about the only people that talk. Coming from a recent article, over 40% of the people who live here could care less if they ever talk to anyone new. I've been in the same building for nearly 3 years and have seen a total of *maybe* 6 people. It's weird.
That's the current reality of downtown: strangers who talk to you are homeless, religious or activist, all of whom want something from you. Another 4K tech workers added to existing buildings (edit, existing developments) will hardly be noticed.

The wary sentiment toward newcomers is familiar to my time in Austin, with equal results (none). Things change.

Comment

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
That's the current reality of downtown: strangers who talk to you are homeless, religious or activist, all of whom want something from you. Another 4K tech workers added to existing buildings (edit, existing developments) will hardly be noticed.
I think that's what I like about West Seattle. You have more of that feeling of community. People say good morning when you pass them on the street. Here in Capitol Hill, people look at me like I'm nuts if I say good morning.

Reactions: Justin Lawless
Comment

brettj.k

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2019
Maybe they’ll put an apple store in the first floor of the building....wishful thinking but the downtown Seattle area desperately needs one.

Reactions: RVanB
Comment

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Maybe they’ll put an apple store in the first floor of the building....wishful thinking but the downtown Seattle area desperately needs one.
I agree it would be convenient to have one downtown, mainly because the one in U Village is always slammed. Of course, if they put one in SLU it would undoubtedly be hammered at all hours as well. Bellevue Square is usually pretty quick for service. They helped me out a lot with my 2018 MacBook Pro.

Comment

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Thing about South Lake Union is it's - historically, at least - relatively difficult to get to via transit compared to other parts of Seattle. They have the SLUT, but getting to that in the first place is not as convenient as it could be. Given all the growth happening down there, though, I hope they've got plans to address that.

People complain about Seattle making life more difficult for drivers the past several years, but (even though I drove today rather than take the train, like I usually do) I say screw them. Single bus-only lanes aren't a real solution - make some of the roads completely bus-only.

Reactions: Gasu E.
Comment

Florpy

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2014
ABC 4
Man I remember when that neighborhood was a mess. And it wasn't even that long ago!
That "mess" is where a large number of Seattle's arts organizations and artists once worked. While some organizations have relocated, many are no longer in existence, and artists are fewer and fewer.

Reactions: Gasu E.
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.