Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is expected to build up inventories of its upcoming 5G iPhones in advance due to concerns over possible component shortages amid the global health crisis, according to sources cited by the Nikkei Asian Review.

iPhone-12-5G-New-1.jpg

An excerpt from the report:
Apple has notified several of its suppliers that it plans to make about 213 million iPhones in the 12 months through March 2021, up 4% from the same period a year ago, despite some suppliers' belief that orders could end up being significantly lower, Nikkei has learned.
The report claims that production of current models like the new iPhone SE and the upcoming 5G models will be split nearly 50-50.

Apple plans to release four 5G-enabled iPhones later this year, including one 5.4-inch model, two 6.1-inch models, and one 6.7-inch model, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and other sources. All four models are expected to feature OLED displays, flatter edges like the iPhone 5 or the 2018 and later iPad Pro, and a smaller notch.

Article Link: Apple Expected to Stockpile 5G iPhones in Advance Due to Concerns Over Possible Component Shortages

julesme

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
Not a bad strategy, but hopefully doesn't indicate a major launch delay (otherwise how would there be time to stockpile?)

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Just a reminder Nikkei Asian Review has very little / poor track record of anything Apple.

They are much more likely to stockpile *component* rather then the assembled iPhone

Right - stockpiling components makes a lot more sense to me. The phones will just lose 1% of their value each month sitting in storage... components should be much more useful, in that they can prevent production shutdown later if issues crop up in the supply chain.

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
You're both right imo.
Makes no sense, why stockpile when economic situation gets better later.
This is ridiculous
It doesn't make sense to stockpile phones. That is ridiculous. Thing is, I doubt they're stockpiling phones.
Tim Cook is the Sage of Supply Chain. I’m going with his judgment.
Going with Tim's judgment is a safe bet. Thinking that judgment includes stockpiling phones... not so much.
This report only makes any sense if Apple is stockpiling components, not phones. I'd bet something has been lost in translation.

Comment

LeadingHeat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2015
4% to me doesn’t sound like “stockpiling”. Seems a bit dramatic. If anything they’re keeping a little more components around than usual to soften the blow if coronavirus 2021 hits next year.

Comment

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
only reason to "hoard" parts now is because they think the CoV crisis is only going to get worse and factories in the future will need to shut down

Comment

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
You're both right imo.

It doesn't make sense to stockpile phones. That is ridiculous. Thing is, I doubt they're stockpiling phones.

Going with Tim's judgment is a safe bet. Thinking that judgment includes stockpiling phones... not so much.
This report only makes any sense if Apple is stockpiling components, not phones. I'd bet something has been lost in translation.
Agree with this and similar comments. I simply meant that whatever the reality that triggered this rumor, Tim’s call is more likely the correct one as opposed to some random MR member.

Comment

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Makes no sense, why stockpile when economic situation gets better later.
This is ridiculous
I'm with you UNLESS corona goes away soon. A sizable part of the population out of work and a lot more holding on with their fingernails. Under these conditions, blowing $1000+ on a new 5G phone would be STUPID.

Reactions: m0sher
Comment

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I'm with you UNLESS corona goes away soon. A sizable part of the population out of work and a lot more holding on with their fingernails. Under these conditions, blowing $1000+ on a new 5G phone would be STUPID.
There’s no indication this coronavirus is going away soon.

Comment

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
That's just it, very few outright 'buy' their $1000 phones. They use IUP, Next or some other upgrade plan. I pay about $60/month for my present phone. If the payment is the exact same, I will upgrade as I'm sure many others will.

Fortunately, I am still employed while others are not. Usually it's the other way around. Always seem to find a way to pay my cell phone bill.

Comment

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
Because of health and privacy concerns, I'm not going to support 5G.
Because AT&T is ponderous and doesn't give a crap about my region and will overprice new plans anyway, 5G won't be supported on my already 5G-capable Samsung for the foreseeable future. I barely get 4G when I go for a walk in my neighborhood. I don't live in some remote bunker, but we have some cows a ways down the road and I think they scare cellular providers from putting up a decent tower.

Actually, I think as far as your health is concerned, the 5G death beams will be shooting at you from any nearby towers regardless of whether or not your phone is capable of receiving them.

Comment

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Tim Cook is the Sage of Supply Chain. I’m going with his judgment.
Yeah, it's amusing watching armchair CEO's whose experience is, "I've read dozens of articles," go up against Tim Cook, whose experience is, "I've very successfully run the supply chain for a trillion dollar company for many years". I know who I'd bet on.
[automerge]1587490312[/automerge]
If they're having trouble storing any overflow, I'd be more than happy to hold on to a few.
Cool, they're looking for storage spots. The minimum quantity is 50,000 units. You can handle that, right?

Reactions: Kabeyun
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.