Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Three Apple suppliers have delivered samples of flexible circuit boards for the iWatch as the device is now expected to be unveiled in September, reports DigiTimes.

iwatch223.jpg
Screen-centric iWatch concept by DesignerEI
Flexible PCB suppliers Flexium Interconnect, Zhen Ding Technology Holding and Career Technology reportedly have delivered FPCB samples for use in iWatch devices to Apple for validation, according to industry sources.
The news follows a report yesterday from Taiwan’s Economic Daily News which indicated that the iWatch will launch in the third quarter of this year, with Apple targeting production of 65 million units by the end of 2014. A reveal in September would mean that the device would be released shortly thereafter, most likely alongside the iPhone 6 and iOS 8.

While details about the iWatch have been slim, most reports have pointed to the device featuring biometric sensors to track a number of health-related statistics, including UV light exposure, heart rate, and skin temperature. Apple is also said to be releasing a “Healthbook” app with iOS 8 that will work with the iPhone and iWatch to track other health statistics like weight, heart, rate, and calories.

Article Link: Apple Expected to Unveil iWatch in September as Suppliers Deliver Circuit Board Samples

ds705

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2013
Since they'd have to make the iWatch water resistant I wonder if they figured out a way to do the same with the new iPhone.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
I'm still nowhere near convinced that an iWatch-type device is a smart move for Apple- I just don't see a big demand for one. Guess we'll see in a shirt while...

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
What a hilariously terrible concept design.

"Oh I can't wait to have two mail apps and the classic iOS game 'Just a Bird'!"

enigma2118

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2006
I just don't see watches transitioning from a status symbol and/or an accessory to express individuality, to a uniformed device. But that's me.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I think WWDC would be a bit more likely, apple has always announced new product catorgies months before launch and this allows them to show off health book for iOS 8.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
If there is an iWatch and it is ready for release this year, than I expect it should have a pre-announcement to build excitement and get lots of developers on board.

Gee, in that case, where would be a good venue to announce something to a large group of developers at the same time. Hmm, there has got to be something.

Think, think.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I'm still nowhere near convinced that an iWatch-type device is a smart move for Apple- I just don't see a big demand for one. Guess we'll see in a shirt while...

You're right. If rumors are true about the 65 million unit estimation it has to be very compelling to purchase.

----------

Hi, you. Get ready for a paradigm shift!
I actually get a lot of weird looks from people when they see my fuelband. I think there's something to pursue in wearable tech on the wrist.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I'm still nowhere near convinced that an iWatch-type device is a smart move for Apple- I just don't see a big demand for one. Guess we'll see in a short while...

Maybe, the future will change your mind. I think there's great potential for such a rumored new multipurpose wrist device.

The 'iPal' will complement the iPhone in a big way. That iPhone can stay safely tucked away for many routine uses, with less fumbling and fewer accidental drops, while at the same time, being hidden from view could also impact those alarming theft rates.

I'm suggesting the name iPal, rather than iWatch, which is too narrow of a definition for the many rumored functions it could have. It goes where you go, and augments the iPhone. It also sounds catchy, and such a name is short, easy to remember, and in the same vein as iPod and iPad. You're welcome, Apple. :)

Disclaimer: The foregoing is based upon rumors only. Not responsible for major disappointment! ;)

Last edited:

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley
I like the completely sleek design and charcoal/silver color of the mockup. Not gonna happen with icons that small though.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
I just don't see watches transitioning from a status symbol and/or an accessory to express individuality, to a uniformed device. But that's me.

I agree, which is why I think it will be marketed as an iPod Nano, to be used at the gym and by kids and such.

Real watches are going to remain as jewelry.

This will probably be a $150-$200 product.

liven2

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Bonney Lake, WA

People sad the same thing about the iPhone... Wearables are the future and Apple would be foolish to not push the envelope into this market. You will be singing a whole different tune a few years from now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.