Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
From what I understand, the watch can tell when it is touching your skin. The first time you put it on, you will need to enter a password. If someone grabs it off your wrist and it breaks contact with your skin it will require you to re enter your password.

That could work amazingly well, or be a complete and utter nightmare.

Many people don't like a watch tight. When I used to wear watches, I never had the strap tight, I always liked it a little lose so the watch could move a little, but not so lose it could spin around my wrist to the underside.

I wonder how tight/lose the watch will have to be to register a break of skin contact?

jermwhl

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Many people don't like a watch tight. When I used to wear watches, I never had the strap tight, I always liked it a little lose so the watch could move a little, but not so lose it could spin around my wrist to the underside.

I wonder how tight/lose the watch will have to be to register a break of skin contact?

I can see it already, "wristgate". LOL.

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
Here is how I think it breaks down which devices get what.

1. Devices with TouchID and NFC (6 and 6+).
- ApplyPay at NFC POS terminals and In-App purchase. Only devices with the Secure Element and NFC built in will allow you to add multiple CCs to PassBook.
2. Devices with TouchID. (5s, '14 iPads).
- In App purchase with iTunes primary CC only.
3. Devices with TouchID+AppleWatch. (5s, '14 iPads).
- ApplyPay at NFC POS terminals and In-App purchase with iTunes primary CC, which means the AppleWatch has NFC capability.
4. Devices with no TouchID nor NFC (Any device running at least Mavericks or iOS7).
- Apple encrypts credit card information in iCloud, which allows one to select a CC from a pick list when making on-line purchases. You still manually enter the CVV code.

Mystery solved.

Last edited:

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca

I wear watches the same way, loose and almost to the point of doing 360's around my wrist.

I haven't worn a watch in quite some years due to, having my phone with me 24/7. However I'm looking forward to the new Apple Watch, I believe it's going to be big with, health monitoring more then Apple Pay.

I plan on getting an Apple Watch but not right when they come out, I plan to wait until the dust clears and see how people like it and, how well all the sensors actually work???

I'm sure there will be some glitches with the first model. Especially without Steve Jobs there. S.J. was pretty good at a product being ready for launch with little issue. Yes, Mobile Me was a supposed fiasco, but had he a great batting average!
(For me Mobile Me was great, never an issue)

Back on topic, I'm curious to the skin contact accuracy as well and, all the sensors in general.

----------

I can see it already, "wristgate". LOL.

I can't take another "Gate" nonsense! But you sure brought up a funny probable issue for the Anti Apple "Gate" hunters!#

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Apple Expecting In-App Purchases to Make Up Most of Early Apple Pay Activity

That's why, despite having touch ID, the iphone 5S will only work for online ApplePay purchases such as described above, and not at POS terminals. No NFC

Actually, according to Apple, the 5S doesn't get even the in app payment capability. I'm guessing it lacks the "secure enclave" for doing the credit card tokenization. It has the "secure element" for your fingerprint, but can't securely store your cc details. It will eventually be pairable with an Apple Watch (along with the 5) for in store use but is excluded from in app purchasing.

1e86ba29cfbd17b46d768b3c9eae2183.jpg

2291077ae41e5672b92342537059383f.jpg

Last edited:

Colonel Badger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
Yup. I was about to post the same thing. This is an error by Mac Rumors and a couple of other sites. The 5s CAN NOT use Apple Pay.

Apple Pay doesn't just need touchID. It needs the secure enclave as well which believe is hardware base.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yup. I was about to post the same thing. This is an error by Mac Rumors and a couple of other sites. The 5s CAN NOT use Apple Pay.

Apple Pay doesn't just need touchID. It needs the secure enclave as well which believe is hardware base.

I think you mean secure element. Secure enclave is specific to Touch ID and the 5s does have that.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008

I think you mean secure element. Secure enclave is specific to Touch ID and the 5s does have that.

Perhaps I mixed up element with enclave...couldn't remember which is which. The point is that the 5S lacks the newer one which is required for storing your cc tokenized info.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Compatible with a product that's not even seen the light of day yet. (Apple Watch)

I like this one.

Its falling down like dominoes before its even begun.. Restricted to this, can be only used in store if the user has a certain device(s) etc...

I'm starting to wonder if Apple dug themselves in a hole here by choosing NFC in the first place, and not by using something which was more wide-spread.

At first I confused "in-app" with "in-app purchases", which doesn't look right either.. Why would you use your CC with Apple Pay to buy an app for the app store, since iTunes already has it ? Unless, maybe scan you card with camera for those who don't have one attached already ?

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008

Why is Apple calling it in-app vs online? I'm assuming you can use Pay via web browser on supported devices, right?

Nope. Apple talked about specific retailers updating their apps to support ApplePay.

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
Oh man. I can just imagine some idiot trying to pay for something at the counter with their iphone 5s. :D

... and then become abusive towards the shop assistance when their iPhone 5s doesn't work.
or
Insist that they have paid with their iPhone 5s and walk out with the product without paying.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I don't really understand why in-app purchases are Apple Pay. I mean...haven't we already been using these the same way since Touch ID showed up? No NFC involved...I don't know, it's weird, seems like they are just trying to juice up numbers that count as Apple Pay for something that really isn't that.

Previously, when an app offered in-app purchases you could use Touch ID instead of entering in your Apple ID password. It would charge money to your iTunes account, as with any App Store or iTunes purchase.

Apple Pay can be used where before you might have had to enter card details (think Amazon, eBay, etc). It remembers all your credit cards and your billing address.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Nope. Apple talked about specific retailers updating their apps to support ApplePay.

So it only works via a supporting retailers native app and not via their website too?

----------

... and then become abusive towards the shop assistance when their iPhone 5s doesn't work.
or
Insist that they have paid with their iPhone 5s and walk out with the product without paying.

Sure but people being stupid or rude has nothing to do with Apple.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
so, Apple is stiffing us....

It will be available to the 5s, but not at the same time as other devices ?

"All three aforementioned devices plus the iPhone 5s, iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 3 will be able to make online purchases with Apple Pay."

of course, only at selected merchant..

I'd rather use Paypal, and forget the whole thing...

Even Apple Pay will be supported here in Australia, by major banks, Paypal has its large presence, its most merchants have it..... It will take a long while before Apple Pay can have this much space, not to mention many more merchants...

The lack of them, just shows it. I don't think its because of they don't wanna support NFC, I reckon they just don't wanna know. If they want to, they would come back later on, but i don't think they will

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Oh you know Apple can't wait til the next keynote to give their opening overview to talk about how many times/how much money has been charged with Apple Pay. And no matter the number, say the reception has been absolutely incredible and that customers love it. :cool:

* snigger *

----------

So it only works via a supporting retailers native app and not via their website too?

----------

Sure but people being stupid or rude has nothing to do with Apple.

Native Apps probably use the TouchID / NFC, which won't apply when shopping online ..

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Well to add to your confusion (or help explain why the 5s is involved), you'll be able to use the 5S for in store purchases (thanks to Touch ID) with an apple watch.
The watch can't do it standalone. It needs the Touch ID authentication of a 5s, 6, or 6 plus.

But on its own, the 5s can do apple pay website purchases thanks to Touch ID.

to add more confusion the 5, 5C and 5S can be used for purchases in store as the watch uses wrist authentication!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Oh you know Apple can't wait til the next keynote to give their opening overview to talk about how many times/how much money has been charged with Apple Pay. And no matter the number, say the reception has been absolutely incredible and that customers love it. :cool:

It's what Apple does best.... is reporting numbers. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.